• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2016-17 Season

Very early in the season, and he's young and hardly immovable even with his new deal. The leafs don't need to be good this year, if they get another high draft pick they will have an amazing base of young talent to add to. The goalie signing was a bit premature but in 2+ years from now it won't matter. They aren't at the stage yet where they need to add free agents to complete the rebuild. Their window isn't now, and if they add the right mix of free agents, they should win a cup way before the habs do. Like you said, 2-3 years from now is their target, and FA still has upside.

So basically exactly what I said?

There are a lot of ifs and buts with the Leafs.

Is the Leaf new core more talented than the Oilers?

Is Matthews, Nylander, Reilly and Marner a better youth core than McDavid, RHN, Draisaitl and Nurse? I would say hell no, and look how long that took.

I was more confident in the Leafs (compared to the Oilers) front office, but once they made that very odd goalie signing that changed some of my feelings about them. That signing alone might have actually pushed there competitive years back.

The Leafs have a long way to go. Longer than you might think.

You also need to add in the pressure that they may feel in a 2 years or so if they're still losing all the time. The Leafs organization has been prone to trading away youth for vets in the past.

Last edited:

So basically exactly what I said?

There are a lot of ifs and buts with the Leafs.

Is the Leaf new core more talented than the Oilers?

Is Matthews, Nylander, Reilly and Marner a better youth core than McDavid, RHN, Draisaitl and Nurse? I would say hell no, and look how long that took.

I was more confident in the Leafs (compared to the Oilers) front office, but once they made that very odd goalie signing that changed some of my feelings about them. That signing alone might have actually pushed there competitive years back.

The Leafs have a long way to go. Longer than you might think.

You also need to add in the pressure that they may feel in a 2 years or so if they're still losing all the time. The Leafs organization has been prone to trading away youth for vets in the past.

They are different cores, and I think the leafs do have a strong management. It doesn't mean they can't win with different players. Matthews/Nylander are a hell of a start, along with most likely another top pick this year. I think the goalie trade is irrelevant as you are looking at 2-3 years in the future when it's possible FA is better or they have another goalie. Plus, look at all their picks in the upcoming drafts, it's insane. They could easily add another 3-4 high quality prospects in the next 2 years just from their number of high picks.

Last edited:

The Leafs will be good, they are doing it the right way for once. They have good management and a good coach, and a very nice young core, I don't like their goalie move but ultimately it won't matter.

When you are brutal as long as they have been, only seven playoff games in 13 years, you should get better. It took them long enough.

That being said, the Leafs will find a way to **** it up, they always do.

Very early in the season, and he's young and hardly immovable even with his new deal. The leafs don't need to be good this year, if they get another high draft pick they will have an amazing base of young talent to add to. The goalie signing was a bit premature but in 2+ years from now it won't matter. They aren't at the stage yet where they need to add free agents to complete the rebuild. Their window isn't now, and if they add the right mix of free agents, they should win a cup way before the habs do. Like you said, 2-3 years from now is their target, and FA still has upside.

The way he's playing... a 5 year $25 million deal is very hard to move.

They traded David Clarkson, I'm sure they can trade a career 2.38 gaa goalie / .917 goalie. Granted a small sample but you get the point.

The "way he's playing" is .879 goaltending so while I don't have a lot of faith in him... I don't think this will continue exactly the same way either.

They traded David Clarkson, I'm sure they can trade a career 2.38 gaa goalie / .917 goalie. Granted a small sample but you get the point.
Moving clarkson wasnt easy and basically took the perfect confluence of events. You cant bank on that every time.

The "way he's playing" is .879 goaltending so while I don't have a lot of faith in him... I don't think this will continue exactly the same way either.
At 5 million a year for 5 years. Youd have to hope hes at minimum league average (915) to have serious offers.

At 5 million a year for 5 years. Youd have to hope hes at minimum league average (915) to have serious offers.

The post was simply responding to "the way he's playing" part. I'm not really a fan of the Andersen move.

The post was simply responding to "the way he's playing" part. I'm not really a fan of the Andersen move.

Fair I don't expect him to be an 879 goalie... I don't know if he gets to league average though... or something that would be considered good.

I do wonder if after the Bolland /Crouse deal If the bar has been raised for teams looking to dump contracts.

Even if a new precedent hasn't been set I would imagine that the NHL/NHLPA will be looking to close that loophole. The NHLPA specifically can't be happy with their members being sent off to rot in non competitive markets after agreeing to contracts that their union are pushing them to strive for.

Around The League: 2016-17 Season

Uncle Louis made Robidas disappear too. He has a knack for making salary just disappear.

Since 2007:

Back injury (spinal contusion)
Back injury + surgery (herniated disc)
Blood infection (missed a year, almost didn't return to hockey)
Broken arm
Shoulder injury + surgery
Concussion
Knee injury + surgery
Broken hand
Sports hernia + surgery
Back injury

The last two are still ongoing.

No conspiracy here, he's hurt. He's always hurt.

Last edited:

Since 2007:

Back injury (spinal contusion)
Back injury + surgery (herniated disc)
Blood infection (missed a year, almost didn't return to hockey)
Broken arm
Shoulder injury + surgery
Concussion
Sports hernia + surgery
Back injury

The last two are still ongoing.

No conspiracy here, he's hurt. He's always hurt.

Your pesky facts are going to ruin their conspiracy theories.

Pretty soon someone will call you arrogant (or worse).

Injury history aside, pretty convenient that 2 awful players with bad contracts drop off the face of the planet.

Robidas was hired by the Leafs as a consultant who can live at home in Montreal LOL. Nobody even knows what is wrong with Lupul!

Back