• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Around The League: 2016-17 Season

Bullying? Tyranny?

lmao. You guys are really sad.

Edit: And just to be clear worm, this time "you guys" means Count and WeHave. ;)

Last edited:
Re: Around The League: 2016-17 Season

Habs Leafs would be a fantastic series. Possibly heartbreaking but I'll take it, it'd be so entertaining.

Bullying? Tyranny?

Edit: And just to be clear worm, this time "you guys" means Count and WeHave. ;)

No, what's sad is a kid in elementary school being singled out and made an object of group ridicule because he chooses not to drink the kool-aid being served by fans of the home team. The teachers decide it's a good idea because they're all Canucks fans so they just assume that all the kids in the school are Canucks fans as well. Then they decide to set aside a day where everyone is expected to fly the colours and show support for the team. Only there's one kid who supports a different team so he's basically told he's not welcome. That's the tyranny of the majority and yes it constitutes a not-too subtle form of bullying. We're talking elementary school here, not high school or in a workplace with adults.

We're talking elementary school here, not high school or in a workplace with adults.

Life is just easier when locals aren't having wear jersey to work dsy

I should have claimed work place bullying as it was excluding me.

Kids should be welcomed in whatever jersey they want because it's just hockey.

You two adults are seriously obsessed though.

Bullying? Tyranny?

it wasn't just that you had to wear Cannot stuff, you couldn't wear other team stuff. Was the same at my office, you could wear Cannot crap but not gear of any other team. I told the COO that was horseshit and no one could stop me from wearing my Canadiens' stuff. My then 7 year old couldn't.

Kids should be welcomed in whatever jersey they want because it's just hockey.

You two adults are seriously obsessed though.

only took you two posts this time for your typical holier than thou attitude to come through, you are improving

giphy.gif

Yeah, think you're bang on with this.

He lives in Seattle, a city without an NHL team. Easy for him to be a "tough guy."

I live a few minutes from the ACC. Losing to the Leafs will not "hurt" more than losing to another team.

You make it sound like we're all still in high school subject to an endless stream of immature taunts from idiots.

On one hand, I do think Count & WeHave are being pretty melodramatic here. I mean, c'mon now, we're all grown-ass adults here. We should all be able to handle our favourite sports team suffering a defeat against another team that we don't like, and the trash talk/good-natured ribbing that would follow it without crying about "tyranny" and "bullying", and then curling up in the fetal position and praying for death.

On the other hand, they're right that a Leafs/Habs matchup is a "no-lose" situation for the Leafs, and I see how that could be unappealing to some Hab fans. After all, the Habs are the team with the world's best goaltender in his prime, who traded PK Subban for Shea Weber because they have Stanley Cup aspirations in the here and now. And the Leafs are the team that finished in 30th place last year, and that virtually everybody in the hockey world thought had a better shot at another 1st overall pick this year than they did at a playoff spot. So, it's pretty obvious where all the pressure & expectations would lie.

Oh, and on the subject of "wear the local team's jersey to school or work days"...that doesn't really seem unreasonable to me, and it's something you should be prepared to live with if you don't support the "home team". Though banning other teams' jerseys is definitely a petty, BS move.

On one hand, I do think Count & WeHave are being pretty melodramatic here. I mean, c'mon now, we're all grown-ass adults here. We should all be able to handle our favourite sports team suffering a defeat against another team that we don't like, and the trash talk/good-natured ribbing that would follow it without crying about "tyranny" and "bullying", and then curling up in the fetal position and praying for death.

On the other hand, they're right that a Leafs/Habs matchup is a "no-lose" situation for the Leafs, and I see how that could be unappealing to some Hab fans. After all, the Habs are the team with the world's best goaltender in his prime, who traded PK Subban for Shea Weber because they have Stanley Cup aspirations in the here and now. And the Leafs are the team that finished in 30th place last year, and that virtually everybody in the hockey world thought had a better shot at another 1st overall pick this year than they did at a playoff spot. So, it's pretty obvious where all the pressure & expectations would lie.

Oh, and on the subject of "wear the local team's jersey to school or work days"...that doesn't really seem unreasonable to me, and it's something you should be prepared to live with if you don't support the "home team". Though banning other teams' jerseys is definitely a petty, BS move.

Leafs have "nothing to lose" but that vibe can change quickly...ie the Leafs take a 3-1 series lead.

Leafs have "nothing to lose" but that vibe can change quickly...ie the Leafs take a 3-1 series lead.

Not even. They are the underdog in any series with the Habs. Any success they have against them, however short-lived, will be blown out of all proportion by their media slaves. They can't "blow" the series because just being in the playoffs at all is gravy compared to what they were expected to achieve this season. Whatever happens to them will be viewed only as a positive. It's only the Habs who are left with two unattractive narratives: they either "did what was expected of them" or they failed in some regard (losing the series outright or taking more than 4 games to win it, or having the games be closer than expected, etc.)

Not even. They are the underdog in any series with the Habs. Any success they have against them, however short-lived, will be blown out of all proportion by their media slaves. They can't "blow" the series because just being in the playoffs at all is gravy compared to what they were expected to achieve this season. Whatever happens to them will be viewed only as a positive. It's only the Habs who are left with two unattractive narratives: they either "did what was expected of them" or they failed in some regard (losing the series outright or taking more than 4 games to win it, or having the games be closer than expected, etc.)

I don't think a giant upset is required to beat a team whose top 3 centers (in order) are Danault, Shaw, Plekanec.

Brock Boeser signed with the Canucks and will make his NHL debut this afternoon.

Rask is hurt, so Khudobin is starting for the Bruins in tonight's huge game against the Islanders.

Back