• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hawks Org Takes My Advice!!

chitownhabsfan

Faceoff great Perreault helps Hawks[/B]
October, 3, 2013
Oct 3

4:39

PM CT

By Scott Powers | ESPNChicago.com
Recommend7
Tweet6
Comments0
Email
Print

CHICAGO -- Chicago Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville wants his players to improve on faceoffs this season and has been actively looking for ways to make that happen.

On Thursday, Quenneville turned to one of the NHL’s greatest faceoff players, Yanic Perreault, to instruct the Blackhawks. Perreault, who is a Blackhawks development coach, spent about 20 minutes working with the team’s forwards on faceoffs.

“He’s been a good pro,” Quenneville said of Perreault. “Throughout his career, his forte was efficiency in the faceoff circle. He’s going to help us organizationally here and in Rockford and throughout the system as well. He’s a great asset to have and great resource talking with our centerman and wingers that jump into faceoffs. Whether it’s the thought process, something they can pick up, he’ll be around and working with them.

“You [hope] something can be planted in their brains whether it’s trying something in the faceoffs or an awareness of what guys are doing and their tendencies, but it’s something we should be able to get more effective in that area.”

The Blackhawks ranked 11th in the league last regular season with a 50.8 percent faceoff winning percentage, but that was largely due to Jonathan Toews. He won 267 faceoffs and lost 187 for a 58.8 percentage.

Among the other Blackhawks who took at least 100 faceoffs, no one had higher than a 42.5 winning percentage. Andrew Shaw, who was primarily the third-line center, was 99-134 for a 42.5 percentage; Marcus Kruger, the fourth-line center, was 96-142 for a 40.3 percentage; and Dave Bolland, the second-line center, was 95-143 for a 39.9 percentage.

Shaw and Kruger have constantly said they’d like to improve on their faceoffs this season. They found Perreault’s instruction helpful on Thursday.

“He’s great at what he does,” Shaw said. “He had a great career because of it. Being out there, it’s an important part of the game, taking a faceoff. It also builds your confidence and something I’m working for. Just after today, I felt I was better now. I just got to take it into a game and better myself there as well.”

Kruger said, “It’s a lot of details in faceoffs. He can help us with that and watch tape and stuff like that. He knows a lot about it. He’s a good addition for our team here. You always want to get better and win the important faceoffs. It’s definitely helps having him here and helps us all out.”

Now it will be interesting to see if they improve beyond their current %.

:thumbup1:

Faceoffs are so huge...with our history of high end face off guys it's embarrassing how bad we are.

Yeah it's really been an issue for a long time now....I don't know how many times over the last few years i keep seeing a big goal getting scored against off of a lost draw

Can Perreault also teach centers how not to get thrown out of the faceoff circle ? Pleks could use some tips....

Even when we had carbo and Muller and jarvis we were nothing great, in the end you need the guys who are detail oriented and committed to being good on draws.

I dont go to practices like i used to when i was still in school and went to Verdun auditorium but it was always the same guys practicing draws.... koivu and Juneau

The other centers didn't do much

More thoughts on the subject matter...

Of course, hiring someone with expertise is only the second step, 1st was recognizing that something needed to be done.

3rd step is to hold a meeting with Yanic, coach Q, assistant coaches of the Hawks and develop a plan for the implementation of same.

So the details need to be worked out and a fixed amount of time after each practice and before a game devoted to studying the habits of the linesmen
who drop the puck in the offensive and defensive zones.

Need to use slo-mo video to study the linesman dropping the puck. Any habits on their part as to when they are going to drop the puck?

Also should establish monthly face-off percentage goals for each player that participates to show development or growth.

A little competition amongst the players wouldn't hurt.

Repeat for the Rockford Ice Hogs their AHL affiliate.

:thumbup:

Can Perreault also teach centers how not to get thrown out of the faceoff circle ? Pleks could use some tips....

Last night I watched an April 2011 game between the Habs and Hawks... was a fantastic game that ended with Subban blasting home the GW goal in OT. Anyhow couldn't help but laugh how many times Plekanec was getting tossed from the face-off circle even back then.

Update on Hawks Progress in this area...

Hawks getting better at faceoffs, thanks to Perreault
Winnipeg's Evander Kane and the Blackhawks' Jonathan Toews jostle for position during the Hawks' victory Wednesday. Toews, with the help of Yanic Perreault, is winning 57.5 percent of his faceoffs this season.

ASSOCIATED PRESS
Jonathan Toews, with the help of Yanic Perreault, is winning 57.5 percent of his faceoffs this season.

ASSOCIATED PRESS
Yanic Perreault, shown here when he was a Blackhawk during the 2007-08 season, won 60.9 percent of his faceoffs during a 13-year NHL career.

ASSOCIATED PRESS

The Blackhawks are serious about becoming a better team on faceoffs this season.
Hawks coach Joel Quenneville went out and hired Yanic Perreault to work with the likes of centers Marcus Kruger, Andrew Shaw and Brandon Pirri on getting better at winning draws, and the results are starting to show.
ADVERTISEMENT
Perreault was considered one of the best faceoff men ever during his 13-year NHL career with a winning percentage of 60.9 percent. Perreault played for Toronto, Los Angeles, Montreal, Nashville, Phoenix and the Hawks.
Until this season it was Jonathan Toews taking every key faceoff for the Hawks. Toews is way up there again in winning percentage at 57.5 percent, but he finally has help.
Kruger is at 50.8 percent while Shaw is up to 43.4 percent. Pirri still has much work to do at 41.9 percent.
"Yanic's been working with our centermen on faceoffs and we're getting better and stronger over time," Quenneville said. "You get a little more familiar with your opponents. There's a strength department element to it, there's a science to it and Yanic gives them a look at where your thought process is going into it that helps our guys.
"I think we're progressing as we go along here. Key faceoffs, especially on our power play and penalty killing, when you lead off with the puck it's a huge advantage both ways."
Perreault generally joins the Hawks on the ice as practice is winding down and spends a good 10 minutes working with the centers.
"He knows a lot about it," Kruger said. "It's a lot of details in faceoffs. He can help with that and watch tape and stuff like that. You always want to be better and win those important faceoffs."
At a recent practice, Perreault spend time working with Shaw on balance before the puck is dropped.
"He wants you to shift your weight forward, get on your toes and be ready for everything," Shaw said. "He was great when he played and he's just trying to help us get better."
Shaw admitted he never saw Perreault play.
"But I've heard a lot of good things about him," Shaw said. "I've seen his stats and he was great at what he did. He always tells me if you can win faceoffs it will prolong your career."
That's how it worked with Perreault.
"He's helping with everything: timing, positioning, trying to figure out what they're going to do," Shaw said. "You've got to go in there prepared, stay focused and get low.
"He works with every aspect of our game and critiques our game a little bit. Little by little we're trying to improve on faceoffs."
The Hawks won 60 percent of the faceoffs in Wednesday's 4-1 win over Winnipeg. Toews was a remarkable 15-2 and Shaw 3-3. Kruger was 4-6 and Pirri 6-8.

:cheers2:

Repost

More thoughts on the subject matter...

Of course, hiring someone with expertise is only the second step, 1st was recognizing that something needed to be done.

3rd step is to hold a meeting with Yanic, coach Q, assistant coaches of the Hawks and develop a plan for the implementation of same.

So the details need to be worked out and a fixed amount of time after each practice and before a game devoted to studying the habits of the linesmen
who drop the puck in the offensive and defensive zones.

Need to use slo-mo video to study the linesman dropping the puck. Any habits on their part as to when they are going to drop the puck?

Also should establish monthly face-off percentage goals for each player that participates to show development or growth.

A little competition amongst the players wouldn't hurt.

Repeat for the Rockford Ice Hogs their AHL affiliate.

:thumbup:

Well, it apparently didn't work out too well or was dropped from their season long agenda cause the lack of winning faceoffs in the Hawks vs. LA Kings is considered to be one
of their problems in the current series.

Wonder what went wrong and I doubt if an explanation will be forthcoming.

Right idea, perhaps poor execution or none at all and could be their downfall.

:facepalm

Back