• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

January 2014 Transfer Thread

It's going to be very very interesting. I think the biggest difference between this and the Ozil move is that while both are exactly what each team needed, I knew Wenger knew what to do with Ozil.

It's going to be very very interesting. I think the biggest difference between this and the Ozil move is that while both are exactly what each team needed, I knew Wenger knew what to do with Ozil.

Where does Moyes play Mata? He's most effective playing behind the striker and can play there until Rooney comes back. Once that happens, where does he go? Out to the wing?

So upset about this. Story making the rounds is our scouts had been looking at the player for months, and the agent met with Ian Ayre (our club's managing director) to verbally agree to transfer fee and personal terms. When the official offer came, though, they low-balled Basel. When Chelsea learned of it, they became "part of the loop" and even though we met the original value, the "new value" was Chelsea's offer. So mad at the decision-makers in refusing to meet the team and agent's valuation.

Feel bad for the player, since he knew he was much more likely to feature regularly for us than for Chelsea. In essence, he's literally replaced Mata since Chelsea will use him as much as they did Mata.

This is becoming a discouraging recurring theme for the club. Dempsey, Mkhitaryan, Willian and now Salah. All received "low ball" offers and despite efforts to "mend fences", all targets were missed (the last two ending up with Chelsea). Chelsea must let our scouts do all the work, knowing our team of negotiators will come in, low ball a club and then they can swoop in and pick up a player. Can't believe this happened AGAIN. Having serious doubts about the whole team at FSG. Seem to be little better than Hicks and Gillette.

Having serious doubts about the whole team at FSG. Seem to be little better than Hicks and Gillette.

Well ... in the long run it's probably better to avoid spending money you don't have than it is to leverage yourself into receivership ... which is where Hicks and Gilette would have landed Liverpool eventually, IMO. What I don't get is why Ayre seems not to have any kind of handle on his available funds until AFTER he's finished negotiating personal terms with players. That's nuts. If Fenway are keeping him on such a short leash that he has to actually sell the ownership group on the player deal as a complete, agreed package before the owners before funds are made available ... that's a backwards way to do business. Give the guy a budget and trust him to spend it.

Good move all around that one I think.

The slower pace in Italy will help Essien imo and he should do well for Milan.

Chelsea get his wages off the books which is definetly a plus for them.

I think the Fenway group is trying to treat things in Liverpool with the amount of control they used for the Red Sox since they were obviously successful there. The issue is that all of them had vast experience in baseball before buying the red sox, so while they still caused some internal strife (see Epstein, Theo), they knew what to do within that world. They tried to take the same approach to soccer and ended up paying 35 million pounds for Andy Carrol saying some bull about how the Carrol and Suarez transfer fees just had to match the amount they got for Torres. Also, it wasn't exactly a hard call, but at the time I did say one of those was an absolutely amazing signing and one of those was the worst signing. This is less about the Andy Carrol call which was easy enough for anyone to make and more about stating that I've been big on Suarez forever. Ajax just is a factory for developing attacking players.

Deadline Day so far

Wilfried Zaha: Manchester United to Cardiff City (loan)

Jay Fulton: Falkirk to Swansea (undisclosed)

Liam Bridcutt: Brighton to Sunderland (undisclosed)

Lewis Holtby: Spurs to Fulham (loan)

Kurt Zouma: St Etienne to Chelsea (undisclosed)

Jindrich Stanek: Sparta Prague to Everton (undisclosed)

Fabio: Manchester United to Cardiff City (undisclosed)

That Holtby move is a bit surprising. I thought he was all but ticketed back to Schalke

Both Zaha and Fabio get a badly needed chance to run around for Cardiff City. I'm sure both of those young guys will be thrilled to be wearing short pants again.

I was a little surprised to see Fulton moving from Falkirk to Swansea, but he is the sort of ball distributing midfielder they seem to love down there. He's just so young and unproven.

Arsenal have signed Kim Kallstrom on loan till the end of the year.

He is a very decent midfielder but not sure that's the position they most needed to strengthen

Arsenal have signed Kim Kallstrom on loan till the end of the year.

He is a very decent midfielder but not sure that's the position they most needed to strengthen

Wenger also announced that Aaron Ramsey will miss another 6 weeks. Flamini is also suspended 4 games after picking up a red card against Southampton.

Adel Taarabt terminates his full season loan at Fulham and moves to AC Milan.

BBC reporter saying the Ince to Crystal Palace move was finished just in time to submit the papers to the F.A. If so, I'd say Palace's chances of staying up have gone up. Ince AND Puncheon? Wow!

No deal for my Reds. No defense, no cover for Lucas and no Konoplyanka. Disappointed to the point of bitter. This squad is too thin to think it can make a go of a serious run at the top four. They might hang in for awhile but injuries have already decimated the squad. I'm glad all the important games left are at home except for ManU, but I just don't think they have enough.

And not making the Champions League AGAIN? smdh

Last edited:
My Reds' fans friends seem to think the signings of the team's behind us are "much ado about nothing". I beg to differ. I told them "it's frustrating to have gone into the window hoping to get the players to help the squad gain ground on the front-runners, but now I have to worry more than ever before about the team's behind us closing ground fast." ManU and Everton did the most, and I fear we've lost ground (in term's of squad strength) to both Chelsea and Arsenal, who really just fortified, but that's what we needed to do the most.

It didn't take long for Blackpool to move Ince the younger after they sacked his father, did it?

Back