• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2013-14 FA Cup Thread

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
With the start of 3rd round proper, the Premier and Championship sides come in. There is still one 2nd round match to be completed. Crawley Town v. Bristol Rovers was abandoned in the 2nd half on December 18 due to waterlogged pitch conditions. That was supposed to have been played on Saturday, January 4 with the winner playing at Birmingham City on January 7. However, the match has been postponed until January 8. Charlton Athletic v. Oxford United has also been postponed. Of the 21 lower league teams left, there are 3 non-league teams left (Macclesfield Town, Kidderminster and Grimsby Town, all of whom have home matches), 6 from League 2 and 12 from League 1

Saturday:
Blackburn Rovers v. Man City 7:45 - Fox Sports 1
Bournemouth v. Burton Albion
Aston Villa v. Sheffield United
Barnsley v. Conventry City
Bolton Wanderers v. Blackpool
Brighton & Hove Albion v. Reading
Bristol City v. Watford
Doncaster Rovers v. Stevenage
Everton v. QPR
Grimsby Town v. Huddersfield Town - Fox Sports 2
Ipswich Town v. Preston North End
Kiddrminster Harriers v. Petersborough United
Macclesfield Town v. Sheffield Wednesday
Middlesbrough v. Hull
Newcastle v. Cardiff
Nowrich v. Fulham
Rochdale v. Leeds United - Fox Sports 1
Shouthampton v. Burnley
Southend United v. Millwall
Stoke v. Leicester City
West Brom v. Crystal Palace
Wigan v. MK Dons
Yeovil Town v. Leyton Orient
Arsenal v. Tottenham 12:45

Sunday:
Nottingham Forrest v. West Ham 7:00 - Fox Sports 2
Sunderland v. Carlisle United 9:00
Derby County v. Chelsea 9:00 - Fox Sports 1
Liverpool v. Oldham Athletic
Port Vale v. Plymouth Argyle
Man U v. Swansea 11:30 - Fox Sports 1

Saturday's results:
Blackburn 1-1 Man City
Southampton 4-3 Burnley
Newcastle 1-2 Cardiff
Rochdale 2-0 Leeds United
Wigan 3-3 MK Dons
Barnsley 1-2 Coventry City
Yeovil Town 4-0 Leyton Orient
Southend United 4-1 Millwall
Middlesbrough 0-2 Hull
West Brom 0-2 Crystal Palace
Kidderminster 0-0 Peterborough United
Doncaster 2-3 Stevenage
Stoke 2-1 Leicester City
Bristol City 1-1 Watford
Norwich City 1-1 Fulham
Aston Villa 1-2 Sheffield United
Macclesfield Town 1-1 Sheffield Wednesday
Bolton 2-1 Blackpool
Everton 4-0 QPR
Brighton & Hove Albion 1-0 Reading
Grimsby Town 2-3 Huddersfield Town
Ipswich Town 1-1 Preston North End
Arsenal 2-0 Tottenham

Replays will be 14/15 January. 2 of the 3 level 5 teams survived for a replay. Grimsby Town went down on a 90th minute own goal. Aston Villa loses at home to League 1 Sheffield United?

Sunday's results:

Nottingham Forest 5-0 West Ham
Sunderland 3-1 Carlisle United
Derby County 0-2 Chelsea
Liverpool 2-0 Oldham Athletic
Port Vale 2-2 Plymouth Argyle
Man U 1-2 Swansea

Allardyce started 9 different players from his last game in the Prem. Over the next 2 weeks, they have the 2 legs of the Capital One Cup semifinals against Man City and Prem matches at Cardiff and home to Newcastle. He told the owners where he was pritoritizing and they published a letter today backing him. Swansea got a 90th minute goal from Bony to win at Old Trafford. Man U have the first leg of their Capital One Cup semifinal against Sunderland tomorrow so Moyes didn't play many of his front line players.

Here is the FA Cup schedule:

Round 2 proper
Crawley Town v. Bristol Rovers - The original match was abandoned due to unplayable conditions, the replay on Saturday was postponed for the same reason.

Round 3 proper (1/14 or 15):
Birmingham City v. Crawley Town/Bristol Rovers
AFC Bournmouth v. Burton Albion

Round 3 replays, to be played 1/14:
Charlton Athletic v. Oxford United
Fullham v. Norwich City
MK Dons v. Wigan
Peterborough United v. Kidderminster
Plymouth Argyle v. Port Vale
Preston North End v. Ipswich Town
Sheffield Wednesday v. Macclesfield Town
Watford v. Bristol City
Man City v. Blackburn - 1/15

Round 4 draw. All games on 1/25:
Arsenal v. Coventry City
Birmingham/Bristol/Crawley v. Swansea
Blackburn/Man City v. Bristol City/Watford
Bolton v. Cardiff
Bournemouth/Burton v. Liverpool
Chelsea v. Stoke
Huddersfield Town v. Charlton/Oxford United
Nottingham Forest v. Ipswich/Preston
Port Vale/Plymouth v. Brighton & Hove Albion
Rochdale v. Macclesfield/Sheffield Wednesday
Sheffield Wednesday v. Norwich/Fulham
Southampton v. Yeovil Town
Southend United v. Hull
Stevenage v. Everton
Sunderland v. Kidderminster/Peterbrough
Wigan/MK Dons v. Crystal Palace

Aston Villa loses at home to League 1 Sheffield United?

Yup ... and with a relatively strong starting 11, too. Needless to say, Lambert is pissed off and this team are officially in a Delta Blues level funk.

David Moyes must be feeling SO much heat right now. Another home loss, regardless of the line-up fielded, can't sit well with anyone.

Missed the Liverpool match. Heard they were less than impressive, but it's the F.A. Cup. Stuff like that happens, particularly when you have all the non-regulars featured. I'm just guessing, though, that the Albion and Bournemouth fans were wishing the match was at Anfield for the higher gate take.

David Moyes must be feeling SO much heat right now. Another home loss, regardless of the line-up fielded, can't sit well with anyone.

Missed the Liverpool match. Heard they were less than impressive, but it's the F.A. Cup. Stuff like that happens, particularly when you have all the non-regulars featured. I'm just guessing, though, that the Albion and Bournemouth fans were wishing the match was at Anfield for the higher gate take.

Bournemouth's stadium seats 12,000, Albion's seats 6,912.

How do they split revenue for the FA Cup? I thought there was a guarantee at each round, so the gate doesn't matter? Or is the gate split on top of the guarantee?

Bournemouth's stadium seats 12,000, Albion's seats 6,912.

How do they split revenue for the FA Cup? I thought there was a guarantee at each round, so the gate doesn't matter? Or is the gate split on top of the guarantee?

Unless they've changed things in the last year or so, there's an agreed split of the gate (like 80/20 IIRC) and they split the TV rights money 50/50 regardless of venue. Secondary revenues go entirely to the host club, although not many smaller venues have a lot of paid parking or other amenities.

I think Jeff's right, IIRC. I'm sure it's probably mostly overstated (the financial benefits for smaller clubs), but it's what I often hear when teams talk about getting to play in the bigger venues.

I would have thought they'd rather have a home match instead of the 4.5 hour schlep from Bournemouth to Anfield. At least Burton is only 1:45 away.

I think Jeff's right, IIRC. I'm sure it's probably mostly overstated (the financial benefits for smaller clubs), but it's what I often hear when teams talk about getting to play in the bigger venues.

I think I read a couple of years ago that the average TV cut for the 3rd and 4th rounds was about a quarter million pounds per club, so there's certainly some very real benefit from making it that far ... especially for those clubs with those little 5-7,000 seater venues.

Round 3 replays already completed today

Birmingham 3 - 0 Bristol Rovers FT
Bournemouth 4 - 1 Burton FT
Fulham 3 - 0 Norwich FT
Peterborough 2 - 3 Kidderminster FT
Sheff Wed 4 - 1 Macclesfield FT
Watford 2 - 0 Bristol City FT

Another Round 3 replay:

Man City 5-0 Blackburn

Dzeko and Negredo each had a pair and Aguero scored in his first match after missing 8 with a calf injury. He came on in the 72nd minute.

That's how good an offensive roll City are on. They throw a guy out there just to have a run around coming off of injury and he scores.

Speaking of offensive rolls, I won't point out that Daniel Sturridge, on his first match back, set one up and scored a beauty himself. ...

... Oh wait, I just did point it out. ;)

That's how good an offensive roll City are on. They throw a guy out there just to have a run around coming off of injury and he scores.

Maybe it's a sign of how good City are that in the context of their roster, you refer to Aguero as "a guy". In my book, he's not just "a guy".

Some time and date changes for Round 4:

Friday:
Arsenal v. Coventry City 2:45 Fox Sports 1
Nottingham Forest v. Preston North End 3:00

Saturday:
Bournemouth v. Liverpool 7:45 Fox Sports 1
Birmingham v. Swansea 10:00
Man City v. Watford 10:00
Bolton v. Cardiff 10:00 Fox Sports 2
Huddersfield Town v. Charlton 10:00
Southampton v. Yeovil Town 10:00
Southend United v. Hull 10:00 Fox Sports +
Sunderland v. Kidderminster 10:00
Wigan v. Crystal Palace 10:00
Port Vale v. Brighton & Hove Albion 10:00
Rochdale v. Sheffield Wednesday 10:00
Stevenage v. Everton 2:30 Fox Sports +

Sunday:
Sheffield United v. Fulham 8:00 Fox Sports 2
Chelsea v. Stoke 10:30 Fox Sports 2

Today's results:
Arsenal 4-0 Coventry City
Nottinham Forest 0-0 Preston North End

The rest of the results:

Bournemouth 0-2 Liverpool
Birmingham City 1-2 Swansea
Bolton 0-1 Cardiff
Huddersfield Town 0-1 Charlton Athletic
Man City 4-2 Watford
Port Vale 1-3 Brighton & Hove Albion
Rochdale 1-2 Sheffield Wednesday
Southampton 2-0 Yeovil Town
Southend United 0-2 Hull City
Sunderland 1-0 Kidderminster
Wigan 2-1 Crystal Palace
Stevenage 0-4 Everton
Sheffiled United 1-1 Fulham
Chelsea 1-0 Stoke

The Nottingham Forest/Preston replay will be on 2/4, the other replay should be the same day. If either Sheffield or Preston win, they'd be the only League One sides left.

The 5th round proper draw has meetings between the top 4 teams in the Prem. Matches will be played the weekend of 2/15:

Man City v. Chelsea
Sheffield United/Fulham v. Nottingham Forest/Preston
Arsenal v. Liverpool
Brighton v. Hull
Cardiff v. Wigan
Sheffield Wednesday v. Charlton
Sunderland v. Southampton
Everton v. Swansea

Yeah, irritated with that draw. Folks seem to think "that's part of the charm of the F.A. Cup". Well, charming doesn't make for good television or good football always.

Just my opinion...

Back