Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Health/Diet Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another Health/Diet Thread

I have a full time job, I watch every Hab game and almost every Pens game with the wife unless they are playing at the same time of course. Then we watch on different TVs (thank you Habsy for the projector so I can watch on 120" of beauty.) Plus we watch most new popular movies and a lot of TV shows.

This may explain why my ass is so fat. Down 8 lbs in the first week of 2014 though. My goal is 80 lbs this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: OT: Movies/TV Shows

I can help with that....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blkngldbabe View Post
    I can help with that....
    From 2000 miles away?

I'm going with a whole new approach this time. I usually go all out and lose like 25 pounds in the first 2 weeks. I eat way less and only eat healthy food and I am on the treadmill for an hour a day sweating my ass off. After 2 weeks to a month of that the weight stops coming off so quickly and I get discouraged. Next thing you know I bounce all the way back and eat like I'm making up for lost time. It just never works for me. It's obviously my fault... I'm a food addict.

This time I'm easing into it. Doing about a half hour on the treadmill every other day or so to start. I've started eating probably about 60% of what I was eating, but I'm not really cutting out the "bad foods" other than sugary foods and other snacks.We've also incorporated salads with most meals. I've started only drinking water, black coffee and tea instead of mostly diet pop.

So far it's 8 lbs in a week and I'm not really craving anything like usual. Seems a lot more sustainable and I plan to slowly cut out some of the less healthy stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Carbs are the real bitch....you severely trim those bad boys down and the pounds will melt away.
    #TeamDubas

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

This time I'm easing into it. Doing about a half hour on the treadmill every other day or so to start. I've started eating probably about 60% of what I was eating, but I'm not really cutting out the "bad foods" other than sugary foods and other snacks.We've also incorporated salads with most meals. I've started only drinking water, black coffee and tea instead of mostly diet pop.
    that's fine. a friend of mine lost about 80 pounds by doing just that. not depriving himself of anything and just cutting everything that he otherwise woudl have eaten i nhalf.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

other than that -- yes, stray from sugar and carbs (which basically turn to sugar when your body processes them).

Post Thanks / Like

And yes from this far.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbow30 View Post
    that's fine. a friend of mine lost about 80 pounds by doing just that. not depriving himself of anything and just cutting everything that he otherwise woudl have eaten i nhalf.
    That's what I figured I could do. We had pizza the other day... normally I'd stuff myself with 4 or 5 big pieces. This time I had a nice salad first then had 2 smaller pieces. I enjoyed the pizza and also enjoyed the salad.

I don't want to crave food all the time, and so far this route seems far more sustainable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    Carbs are the real bitch....you severely trim those bad boys down and the pounds will melt away.
    Yeah I have started cutting them a bit, but I still have a long ways to go. I'll be looking to cut out a bunch of carbs when I reach my first plateau.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blkngldbabe View Post
    And yes from this far.
    If I start to struggle, instead of just giving up this time I'll PM you and see what we can do.

Post Thanks / Like

I am trying to do the opposite HP(have't been able to gain for a long time) and yea it's hard to stick to it. It helps getting into a routine that you like. I count everything so i'm quite picky..Figure out what your bmr is and depending on your level of activity you'll know how many calories you need daily. I would make a schedule of foods you eat or like to eat, pick a good balance(stay away from high salt, high sugar and try to reduce overall cals by 500-600(that way you'll lose roughly a lb per week)..If you can stick to that it'll be much easier instead of trying to force yourself to drop more in such a short time.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

The best thing is to really eat everything but control how much you eat. Weight is all about calories in/calories out. The worst thing is to feel guilty about eating certain things. Now being healthy is a bit different, for that, you need to cut down on the salt, sugar, and watch the fat content a bit. Skinnier people are generally healthier though because they tend to eat smaller portions if they are eating unhealthy. In fact, I've seen some research that suggests people that eat less calories tend to live longer.

I get you on the craving stuff HP. I am a normal weight but if I ate how much I could eat, I'd easily be an extra 20-30pounds. I always have an appetite, and if i eat sugary stuff especially, it just makes me more hungry.

I find a lot of people who are overweight do three things:
    a) huge portions (overeating)
    b) they don't consider drinks as something to worry about (oh ill piss it out)
    c) they try to add healthy eating on top of their overeating (only adding more calories) and adding on to their weight. Yes, fruit is healthy, so are salads, and so is brown rice, but those things have calories too. (more than you think as well)

All that stuff adds up. I know people who have so much coffee, juice, beer, soda, milk, per day that they could easily have another full meal if they skipped on these drinks. Drink water. It's healthy. And if you drink something, drink half a glass, it has the same impact.

Eat slowly, drink slowly. Often our eyes are hungry and if we just slow down and enjoy the taste of what we eat/drink, you will come away saying "that was enough".

Post Thanks / Like

If you track your calorie intake, it's a lot easier to shed pounds. I used Lose It a few years ago. Worked like a charm. You can log entries with your computer or your smart phone. It sends you a daily email to show your totals so you can track your progress. MyFitnessPal is good too..it has a database of foods you buy in Canada( the whole Timmy's Menu in fact). After a week or so of logging in, you'll find it easy to stay under your calorie budget. Sugar and Bread. Cut them out and the weight falls off.
    When did just getting through the day without being a weasely prick loose its virtue? - R. James

Post Thanks / Like

I'm definitely an over-eater. Have a big appetite. But I must have good genes because despite that and no actual exercise regime (play hockey, golf, be active, but not gym rat stuff) I've managed to stay trim.

But after my ankle break I put on about 10 pounds more than I want to be (sitting at 186 - should be 175). I carry all my weight in alittle gut and in my face.

What's the best way for a guy like me to lose that targeted 10 pounds quickly?
    blacksheep: "You just live in a fantasy world where you think the more you save for yourself now the more you'll have when you retire".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by corksens View Post
    I'm definitely an over-eater. Have a big appetite. But I must have good genes because despite that and no actual exercise regime (play hockey, golf, be active, but not gym rat stuff) I've managed to stay trim.

But after my ankle break I put on about 10 pounds more than I want to be (sitting at 186 - should be 175). I carry all my weight in alittle gut and in my face.

What's the best way for a guy like me to lose that targeted 10 pounds quickly?
    Take your two fingers and shove them down your throat after eating. The rest will take care of its self.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip, houseplant.
    blacksheep: "You just live in a fantasy world where you think the more you save for yourself now the more you'll have when you retire".

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest culprit for me was always eating out at lunch-time. I never used to eat breakfast, so was super hungry by lunch-time and would gorge at Wendy's or A&W. I've taken to eating a little breakfast and bringing a morning snack to work. I also pack a lunch, or plan to be home for lunch. This has decreased my junkfood intake greatly and probably saved me some money over the last year.

At dinner time, use a lunch/sandwich plate to reduce portion sizes.
    BG

"Holy snapping eyeballs!"

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Houseplant?

Post Thanks / Like

Eating a good breakfast is really important to losing weight. Missing breakfast makes you gain weight.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm at a decent weight I feel... I have not been able to drop more than 10 in the last 15 years... but I am trying to keep my cholesterol in check. I have that genetic problem.. Mom's been on lipitor/crestor for over 40 years. My prob is my body doesn't make the HDL stuff very well, so my ratio is off.

it was slightly high in my last physical, so I wan't to redo it in about 4 months and see if my diet can change. Lots of fiber, good breakfasts every morning are my first steps. I have also stopped drinking beer daily. Save it for the weekend. I will actually try to not even have any this weekend, as I've stopped drinking since New Year's eve.

Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast