• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs biggest need going forward

macavoy

We need more players who can carry the puck through the neutral zone and into the offensive zone. Right now, we rely too much on PK to rush the puck up. A few years ago, we relied on Scott Gomez to rush the puck through the neutral zone. We don't have anyone that can do it consistently. Eller has shown some flashes but he is starting to look like a 3rd line center that can fill in on the 2nd line at times. You never see Pleks rushing with the puck, he is a passer. Same thing with DD, he is a passer. I'm hoping Galchenyuk can grow into that but we can't place all the responsibility on him. Pacioretty is a shooter, same thing with Gionta and Gallagher.

If we want to win in the next 2-4 years, we can't wait to draft someone, Galchenyuk will probably just be developing into that player in that timeframe. We need to trade for some puck carriers. Its been our biggest problem the past 5+ years. If we could get someone to rush the puck up, it would take pressure off of PK and he would be prone to less turnovers because he is like Gomez, gets to the blueline, then he doesn't know what to do with it.

I'm not sure if there is a term or label for that type of player. What do y'all think?

I don't think it has to do with our players inability to carry the puck as much as it has to do with MT's intolerance for creativity. Despite having a roster that would suggest otherwise, MT is under the impression that all he has is grinders who need to dump and chase.

Exhibit A:

Pacioretty
Plekanec
Gallagher
DD
Chucky
Gionta
Briere
Eller

... That is one intimidating group of fierce fore-checking grinders :rolleyes(2):

Something tells me that when MT finally gets canned, people are going to realize that this team has more skill than they thought.

The problem lies more in the fact that our top six forwards are extremely perimiter....they don't use the middle of the ice very much and don't like traffic

Which in part is a big reason we're not a great 5 on 5 scoring team

I really hope I am wrong , but I don't see 27 become a player that everyone expect and dream , honestly I don't see him becoming a top dominating centre . I see him more as 50-60 points a season player, I just hope I am wrong but IMHO people expect a lot from him !

I really hope I am wrong , but I don't see 27 become a player that everyone expect and dream , honestly I don't see him becoming a top dominating centre . I see him more as 50-60 points a season player, I just hope I am wrong but IMHO people expect a lot from him !

I suggested this previously and was almost accused of blaspheme. But we see a flash of greatness here and there that suggests its possible he will be a top player in this league.

Last edited:

A few years back i thought Max would be no more than a 15 a year goal scorer. Boy was i wrong.

The problem lies more in the fact that our top six forwards are extremely perimiter....they don't use the middle of the ice very much and don't like traffic

Its called lead by example. Thanks Pleks

Biggest need is another 30 goal winger with size and physical play.

You get that and the youngsters we have develop (Chucky, Beaulieu, Tinordi) and we have a true contender IMO.

Biggest need is another 30 goal winger with size and physical play.

You get that and the youngsters we have develop (Chucky, Beaulieu, Tinordi) and we have a true contender IMO.

I agree... slowly seeing a light at the end of the tunnel

you should expect a lot when you take the best player in a draft year

I remember at the 2012 draft when he was taken when they interviewed Bergevin about why he liked Galchenyuk so much and MB said he saw a fierce determination in his eyes when he asked AG if he would work hard and did what it takes to become the best player he possibly can. That more than anything else sold me on Galchenyuk. If he fails it won't be for a lack of effort or trying...

you should expect a lot when you take the best player in a draft year

true ,but it depends what you expect? if you expect him become an elite centre like Getzlaf , Staal kind of centre then I don't see this happen , is he going to be better than 14 ? hmm I still don't know this either ,

true ,but it depends what you expect? if you expect him become an elite centre like Getzlaf , Staal kind of centre then I don't see this happen , is he going to be better than 14 ? hmm I still don't know this either ,

Of course he'll be better than Pleks. Cmon now.

I agree

No doubt about it, Size and strength in our top 6. Hello Chris Stewart...

What do you think it will cost to sign him July 1st? I'd have a hard time justifying matching his current salary for 15 goals.

Back