• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

TRADE: Habs acquire Thomas Vanek for Collberg and second-round pick

Plumber? You've clearly never watched the guy play.

If he fails to reach his potential, he won't be third line plumber, he doesn't have a grinder type of game. If he's not in the NHL he'll be a scorer in the AHL or in Europe.

Well the Habs' scouts have traditionally been very good at finding career AHLers on draft day. And regardless of Collberg's skill set he would have to follow Therrien's mantra: "You're a grinding team. Accept it. Do it!"

Possible, but the same is true of any first round pick.

Does he have potential to be more than that? Absolutely.

As for the Balej comparison, we got lucky on that one. Bob offered Sather one of Plekanec/Balej and Sather took the wrong prospect. Who is to say Collberg doesn't end up the other side of that comparison?

Was he a better pick than McCarron. Cuz he's a high skill ceiling guy...without anything else to offer.

Was he a better pick than McCarron. Cuz he's a high skill ceiling guy...without anything else to offer.

Yes.

Why? Because if he becomes a top line player, thats a guy you have under contractual control for a few years instead of having to overpay in free agency. The cost for a goal scorer in free agency is way more than the cost of a third liner in free agency. Plus more third liners actually hit the market than the top 6 guys.

I'd always swing for the fences early in the draft with a possible top line guy who has some issues to fix, rather than a guy who you think will be the third liner. There are many other ways to get a third liner like a Prust or a Moen or Dale Weise, who can do those jobs.

more bust I think , plus these are the Islanders we are talking about , who traded Nino for a bag of Riccola

Good point. I remember at the 2012 draft I got pretty excited when I saw he was the 3rd rated European prospect that year behind Forsberg and Terouvainen. Since then I have slowly but steadily cooled on the guy...

Good point. I remember at the 2012 draft I got pretty excited when I saw he was the 3rd rated European prospect that year behind Forsberg and Terouvainen. Since then I have slowly but steadily cooled on the guy...

Chicago got the right guy and he is coming over soon to eventually center the #2 line , thats why the Hawks didnt blow their brains out on trade deadline day

Back