• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: March Madness

And it happened.

UMBC first ever 16 to win. They pummelled UVA by 20.

UVA are the slowest 1 seed I have seen in years l .When they were pressed they lack the athleticism to push back.

It's a tourney where if you have a team that can shoot the lights out with a bunch of athletic gunners anything is possible.

That's why a Buter , Richmond are always a threat.

A 1 should never lose to a 16. UVA had a great season but when fell behind did not have another gear like most top teams do.

Only one similar but USSR threw that game when took out Tretiak

They took him out because they were losing and grasping at straws trying to wake their players up. The USSR would never throw a game to the USA during the Cold War.

In any sport where you have a one game playoff upsets are possible. I doubt that UVA would lose a 7 game series to those humps.

It was 2-2

The momentum was trending the wrong way for the Soviets and Tretiak wasn't playing well. The reality was that the Soviet team needed to rebuild but hung on to some of their veterans a year or two too long. Youth will be served. The problem with Soviet hockey was that it wasn't competitive enough. Red Army had first dibs on all the best players and ran away with the league title for something like 13 consecutive years. They got fat and happy beating up on inferior opponents and stubbed their collective toe in Lake Placid. Again, if it had been a best-of 3,5, or 7 series they'd have kicked the US's heads in. But in a one game playoff, and with the US playing in front of a home crowd (like they were when they won the gold in Squaw Valley back in 1960) the kids won the day. It didn't mean that the US was better at hockey than the USSR any more than the Czech Republic winning gold in 1998 meant that they were better than anyone else either. It's just one more reason why the Olympics and their medals are meaningless.

A sad end to Joel Berry and Theo Pinson's careers. The joy and sorrow of sports. Depths of misery in 2016, heights of glory in 2017 and then hammered today.

Back