• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Faulk signed

Ha! I was muttering "four and a half, four and a half, four and a half..." as I opened the thread.

Kinda surprised they chose on a six yr deal given the obvious problems with the extended contracts of our current overpaid players. Hopefully he will be worth that hefty price tag when he is 28.

That's bigger than the deal Roman Josi (7 years $28 million) and Ryan McDonagh (6 years $28.2 million) got. Not too far off that market but I'm surprised he got more money than McDonagh. The only difference really is that Faulk is a few years younger than McDonagh and will make less in the first 2 years before the contract elevates to bigger bucks. McDonagh is making $4 million this year in the first year of his deal.

I'm wondering if we negotiated a trade off of money in the first 2 years by giving him bigger dollars in the later years and bigger overall dollars than McDonagh got.

Its a fair market deal and around what we should have expected. Whether or not Faulk is as valuable as this contract expects him to be of course remains to be seen. At least this is out the way now and the focus can be on the 'rework' we and the pundits are expecting.

Last edited:
$2.5 million in 2014-15, $3.5 million in 2015-16, $5.5 million in 2016-17 and 2017-18, and $6 million in 2018-19 and 2019-20

Maybe he can get back to some defense now that ... oh wait, that won't work ... he's just the newset member of the "The Club". Good for you Justin.

In general I've got a good feeling about this one. I think I'd normally be a little concerned about the last two years, but Faulk is the kind of guy who seems very likely to continue to grow into that paycheck.

Plus ... this wouldn't really hurt the tear it down and rebuild it approach I advocate at this point. Faulk is young enough and good enough to be a building block for the short and long terms IMO.

$2.5 million in 2014-15, $3.5 million in 2015-16, $5.5 million in 2016-17 and 2017-18, and $6 million in 2018-19 and 2019-20

Maybe he can get back to some defense now that ... oh wait, that won't work ... he's just the newset member of the "The Club". Good for you Justin.

Too bad the Canes do not have two more defensemen in similar skillset to Faulk and age range to balance out the blue line. Any trade of Ward and #12 this summer has to have two good defensemen coming back that can balance the money and cap space out on this team. Faulk and Sekera is one pair but in order to compete you need another pair of defensemen that can bring the same sort of talent and top-end minutes every night.

Next Season Wish List on D:
Faulk-Sekera
Newbie D1 and Newbie D-2
Hainsey-Murphy
Bellemore.

Liles in place of Hainsey perhaps...

IMO, Murphy is a luxury the Canes can't afford. If you can include him in a package for real top 4 D talent, go for it. Love the guy's wheels, but we need to get bigger as a D-Corps. And I'm OK with Hainsey-Bellmore as the 3rd pairing.

I think we're overpaying on this - and I'm a Justin Faulk fan. Sets up high expectations for Sekera, who has been our best defensiveman hands down.

Sekera is farther into his career, so its hard to say what his next contract looks like. But if he follows up this season with more of the same through the first half of next year he's probably in line for $5 million per year (for how many years would be debatable). He's an incredible bargain right now ($1.75 million this year and next year). He's going to be 28 next season.

With caps going up and so many team looking for solid DMen, Sekara is going to get paid and paid very very well once he clears this contract. Canes will have to make a decision on whether or not to make the financial investment in Sekera required to keep him given his sudden offensive explosion and pretty solid (2nd line worthy for sure) defensive play. Just one year like Sekera has put up on the blueline gets you more than $4 million for sure in the open market.

Too bad the Canes do not have two more defensemen in similar skillset to Faulk and age range to balance out the blue line. Any trade of Ward and #12 this summer has to have two good defensemen coming back that can balance the money and cap space out on this team. Faulk and Sekera is one pair but in order to compete you need another pair of defensemen that can bring the same sort of talent and top-end minutes every night.

Next Season Wish List on D:
Faulk-Sekera
Newbie D1 and Newbie D-2
Hainsey-Murphy
Bellemore.

Liles in place of Hainsey perhaps...

Liles is signed for 2 more years at $3.875 million, which might make Murphy trade bait. Hainsey is a UFA after the season. Unless Hainsey re-signs for about the same $2 million he's making now, I don't think he'll be back.

Seems like a lot, but he is one of very few guys I think have the potential to make it a bargain if he continues to develop. I would also expect that this isn't a problem should they decide to trade him - at least not until after next season when he completely tanks like all the other members in the Canes Country Club. Faulk and Sekera are solid enough to be 2 of your first 3. If we add a stud number one guy, then Murphy is fine in our mix. If we're overslotted by half a D, then it gets hard to find a spot for him. I'd like to see:

Newbie D1 - Faulk
Sekera - Murphy or Hainsey
Hainsey or Murphy - Liles or Belimore

I'd like to not have Liles in there, but don't think he's going to be easy to move. We don't need 2 more guys if we get the number 1 guy who get's us slotted right.

I also think outside of Liles all of the rest of our D are movable with the contracts they have, so if we need to adjust to get a certain shot, or to add more size etc, we have assets that are priced right to allow that kind of movement.

Really, the only boat anchor contract we still have is Liles and maybe Cam, if you don't count what we're paying for guys who don't play for us anymore.

I'd trade Liles for a bigger nastier overpaid D since we don't need the overpaid PMD. Then hope Cam rounds into tradeable form the rest of this season. Pair that with trading 12 for a comparable asset with a more physical game and the rest of what you need are tweaks to your bottom 6.

In the draft, they better go for size and stop the trend of talented shrimps. If we had some big prospects, they'd probably be able to crack the lineup in a more meaningful way than exchanging one little guy for another.

I think we're overpaying on this - and I'm a Justin Faulk fan. Sets up high expectations for Sekera, who has been our best defensiveman hands down.

My feelings, too. And...

In the draft, they better go for size and stop the trend of talented shrimps. If we had some big prospects, they'd probably be able to crack the lineup in a more meaningful way than exchanging one little guy for another.

Lindy is good BUT we'd have been better off with Nichushkin or Zadorov.

IMO, Murphy is a luxury the Canes can't afford. If you can include him in a package for real top 4 D talent, go for it. Love the guy's wheels, but we need to get bigger as a D-Corps. And I'm OK with Hainsey-Bellmore as the 3rd pairing.

This.

I rate Murphy higher now than I did at this point last year and think he can be a good NHL player on the right team. We're not that team and we'd be vastly better off with whatever assets we could generate from moving the kid. I do think there would be takers.

Who is this real top 4d talent the canes should trade for?

LOL! Well, except for that horrific contract the Flyers forced, I say E Staal for S Weber.

Nah, I'd say unless Ronnie pulls off a miracle we'll have one signing of a decent, but not an earthmover type, say like D Boyle, K Bieksa or B. Allen. We'd be fortunate to get a K. Yandle.

Last edited:
Who is this real top 4d talent the canes should trade for?

Well, any trade of #12 this summer should/would require a decent center and a top 4D talent coming back this way!

Wardo trade to Calgary...why not shoot for Giordano coming back this way?

Tlusty moved out...how about for a top four defenseman?

Back