• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Off Season thread

I think they're going in a more organizational / collaborative direction with the coaching, too. Last year, it was Nonis making moves for Carlyle (ie: Clarkson and the face-punchers). This year, they're already stripping Carlyle of his goons.

I just don't think Leafs brass felt like they could fire Carlyle without sending the wrong message to this young group. I mean, last year was Randy's first full season with the Leafs, and they were in it for the vast majority of the year. The Leafs made the playoffs the year before. He of course has a part in motivating the players, but they have to motivate themselves too.

This Nylander kid looks really good so that's a positive(does he have enough to make the team right away?). I still hate the overall makeup of this team. Way too many question marks imo and it feels like we'll have to rely on that top line even more(hopefully i'm wrong but i just don't see any of these new guys doing anything offensively).

Well, all the best to the guy; it's nice that the Leafs were able to let him get his career started again, but he obviously just wasn't needed here.

It wasn't a bad idea to toy with that idea and experiment with it, afterall the last time he played in the NHL he was a top 4 Dman. Too bad for him and the Leafs it just didn't work out.

Ranger was worth a shot considering the player he was in Tampa. Not a big fan of who Carlyle played him with or how he was used. Good luck to him trying to continue his pro career.

Ranger was worth a shot considering the player he was in Tampa. Not a big fan of who Carlyle played him with or how he was used. Good luck to him trying to continue his pro career.
I was gonna make the same statement and blame it on Carlyle, but how the season went down I don't think that would be fair.

Season started with Phaneuf and Gunnar as #1-2, and Gunnar played sub-par from the get-go, partially because of the hip condition, but also partially because Gunnar was a wrong match for #2 anyways. Beyond #1-2, the picture looks even worse - he has a very green (and very mistake-prone in the first 20 games) Rielly, a disastrous Franson, an inconsistent Gardiner ... and Ranger is among his multiple options he tried to plug into the #3-4 hole. He didn't work, but it's not like Carlyle had better choices and still kept Ranger up there. As soon as Rielly started playing better, he never used Ranger in that slot anymore.

Given Ranger's history, and that he didn't really have anybody else, I don;t think it's wrong to give Ranger a longer look at 3-4 hole ... and even that 'longer look' is maybe 5-10 more games than he deserved imo.

I was gonna make the same statement and blame it on Carlyle, but how the season went down I don't think that would be fair.

Season started with Phaneuf and Gunnar as #1-2, and Gunnar played sub-par from the get-go, partially because of the hip condition, but also partially because Gunnar was a wrong match for #2 anyways. Beyond #1-2, the picture looks even worse - he has a very green (and very mistake-prone in the first 20 games) Rielly, a disastrous Franson, an inconsistent Gardiner ... and Ranger is among his multiple options he tried to plug into the #3-4 hole. He didn't work, but it's not like Carlyle had better choices and still kept Ranger up there. As soon as Rielly started playing better, he never used Ranger in that slot anymore.

Given Ranger's history, and that he didn't really have anybody else, I don;t think it's wrong to give Ranger a longer look at 3-4 hole ... and even that 'longer look' is maybe 5-10 more games than he deserved imo.

Don't forget that Carlyle rode Mark Fraser for the first quarter of the season, he of one assist, -8 and 3 fights.

Carlyle and nonis. **** me.

Now i remember why i stayed away from here for so long. This is not good for my heart.

Shoring up that backend may just make a HUGE difference going forward. More than a single reliable pairing should go a long way.

Carlyle and nonis. **** me.

Now i remember why i stayed away from here for so long. This is not good for my heart.

Palpatations over letting Ranger go?

I'm excited that for once we may not have a total bonehead on the backend to **** everything up.

Go tell that to some of the Habs fans lamenting the fact the Habs could have gotten Franson instead of Gilbert had Gorges waived. I'd rather have Gilbert short-term and cheap. Franson is going to want way too much money for what he brings.

Back