• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Off Season thread

MindzEye

Wayward Ditch Pig
Absolutely abysmal end of the season. We need a shake up, but I wouldn't limit it to the ice.

I'd strongly, strongly consider a GM change. Nonis is a solid caretaker type, but he's never shown the ability to actually build a team in his time and hos historically shit signing of Clarkson gives me no faith that he's the man to make the decisions going forward.

Candidates:

Jim Benning
Paul Fenton
Ron Hextall
Laurence Gilman
Claude Loiselle

aaaand Randy needs to go. I'm not thrilled with the idea of a retread like Laviolette but he's gotta be a candidate

Candidates:

Laviolette
Hunter
Dineen

regarding the lineup, as much as I know people will be reacting emotionally, this thing doesn't need to be gutted. Imo it's most pressing immediate need is a much improved supporting cast. The 2nd most pressing thing it needs is kids like Kadri, Gardiner, Rielly to take the next steps in being consistent, dangerous NHL players.

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - XXXXX1
XXXXX2 - XXXXX3 - XXXXX4
D'Amigo - XXXXXX5 - Ashton/Broll/Bodie, etc

Phaneuf - XXXXXX6
Rielly/Jake - Gunnarson
Rielly/Jake - Gleason

X1 candidates: Vrbata (UFA), Jagr (UFA), Chris Stewart (trade), Ladd (trade), Byfuglien (trade)...anything over 6'1 210 with a set of hands
X2 candidates: Downie (UFA), Kulemin (UFA), Winnik (UFA),
X3 candidates: Marcel Goc (UFA)
X4 candidates: Kulemin (UFA), Setoguchi (UFA)
X5 candidates: Uncle Leo (UFA)
X6 candidates: Pitkanen (UFA), Edler (trade), Ehrhoff (trade)....any legit top pairing defender on a non shambolic contract

New homes found for Reimer & Franson (preferably to fill the 2nd line hole with Chris Stewart), and Clarkson mercifully (for both sides) bought out.

let the games begin

I can't see Nonis getting fired. Carlye? Yes. I think there's a good chance he's gone.

Stay away from UFA's. They all get so overpaid. Do a trade. Sacrifice the first rounder.

I can't see Nonis getting fired. Carlye? Yes. I think there's a good chance he's gone.

Stay away from UFA's. They all get so overpaid. Do a trade. Sacrifice the first rounder.

Usually I agree, but there's a lot of guys who slip through the cracks. A guy like Goc for example. Nashville got him for a song 3 years ago. Dude is a seriously slept on 3rd line centre.

I'd hire Guy Boucher as coach, dump Franson, let Bolland go, Trade for a solid #2 D-Man.

Giving up our 1st rounder might be a bit of a mistake as well. Solid, deep draft. We'd have to get a really good player in return, who is controllable and youngish for me to give it up. Could easily end up being top 10, sitting 12th overall right now.

I would trade one of Lupul or JVR. Could get something nice in return, especially for JVR. The top six is just way too horse shit defensively. The d suck, but those guys don't help.

Giving up our 1st rounder might be a bit of a mistake as well. Solid, deep draft. We'd have to get a really good player in return, who is controllable and youngish for me to give it up. Could easily end up being top 10, sitting 12th overall right now.

firs time I have heard that

Dale Hunter is the big capo with the London Knights so he would probably demand a decent amount of power in any NHL gig. Some understanding that he would have input on trades, the draft, etc.

I would trade one of Lupul or JVR. Could get something nice in return, especially for JVR. The top six is just way too horse shit defensively. The d suck, but those guys don't help.

I'd trade Lupul long before JVR. I really, really want to see our core with a new coach before I go jettisoning important pieces though. The more I dig into the underlying numbers, the clearer it gets that everyone, to a man, has seen their puck possession numbers bottom out under Randy. Looking at the effectiveness on both sides of the puck we received from our depth players has been ****ing illuminating as well. Our top players were lights out compared to their contemporaries this season. I want to see this group surrounded by quality NHL depth before we go cutting major pieces out of it.

With most of these guys, you arrive at their home with a massive amount of money and they'll take your job.

Back