• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Off Season thread

I can see Spezza as a Panther or a Canuck if he's moved, probably for Bieksa/Edler.

Spezza will be moved and it wouldnt surprise me if its at the draft . They are a budget team and doubt Murray will extend to another monster deal while he is in decline and injury prone . He will get value while he can .

I don't see the islanders at all. They too many centers as is.

The Sens would want a good young upside center as party of any package , if the Isles want to make a statement and get help for Tavares , they could move Strome in a deal .

There will be plenty of teams interested and with him Staal , Kessler and others it will be a an interesting summer to watch .

Why would the islanders move strome for an aging spezza? Are they a move or two away from a contender? I don't think so, I think they should keep their youth.

People never learn. When these name players get dealt, it's pretty much never for the type of package that people predicted beforehand.

Why would the islanders move strome for an aging spezza? Are they a move or two away from a contender? I don't think so, I think they should keep their youth.

The Islanders have been spinning their tires in this "youth movement" for the better part of a decade and they don't have anything to show for it.

With Wong looking to sell his shares and a move to Brooklyn, I can see a big splash coming the Islanders way to help bolst their team from mediocre to playoff worthy.

Spezza is coming into his last year of his contract and given that he's north of 30 and has a history of injuries longer then my arm, I think it's safe to say he doesn't cost that much to acquire... sure as hell not a guy like strome.

People never learn. When these name players get dealt, it's pretty much never for the type of package that people predicted beforehand.
Yep. Pretty hilarious to see names like Kadri, Couturier and Strome getting thrown around as potential fodder in a Spezza trade.

No rental player has ever garnered that kind of return, and Spezza will not be the first to do so.

Espically one with a slew of back/groin/hip injuries, he's damaged goods. I can't really fault Holmes though for thinking it would take Kadri to land Spezza, he's a typical homer just like many others on here are.... I seem to remember a few days ago someone thought we could get the 3rd overall pick for our 8th plus Franson LOL... stuff like that is so absurd.

We are talking Snow here , the retard of all retards . If they give Buffalo their 2015 first pick , you can bet he will do what it takes to improve right away .

Spezza isnt going to be traded for chump change , a solid kid will be part of any deal . Teams will overpay for Spezza .

Only you're not suggesting a "solid kid", you're suggesting Strome, one of the best prospects out there right now.

You're more than welcome to track down the last time a kid like that was traded for a rental.

True enough.

There are also going to be a handful of teams that will want him if they do try to move him.

Could turn into a bidding war.

So.Sens fans think that Spezza could net a decent return and Leafs fans think he'll bring nothing.

Shock.
He won't bring in "nothing". He'll just bring in roughly the same return as every other top-line, pending UFA forward, rather than a return that's monstrously higher than the price for any other rental player in NHL history.

Decent NHL roster player + 1st round pick + mid-level prospect/s. On the high-end, that's what these players get time after time, and if the Senators trade Spezza, that's what they'll get too. The deal might be a little better if they trade him now with a full year left on his contract rather than only a partial year partway through next season, but it won't make a huge difference.

If they don't trade Spezza at the draft, would think his stock will only get much lower after UFA season opens and the number of games he plays before hitting the market starts to diminish.

But as June, would think he's a 1st and mid range prospect. However, subject to sens keeping salary on their end. Could change his value.

Back