• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Off Season thread

The Leafs have a pretty decent cap position this year. JVR, Kessel, Phaneuf are all good deals. Even Bozak at $4.2. Kadri at $2.9 is really good too. The only questionable deals are Komarov and Clarkson - though the Clarkson deal isn't really questionable, it's a blight on the cap.

Sign Reimer and Gardiner for less than $4 each, and the Leafs have a good amount of wiggle-room and lots of young assets. Perfectly poised should a player the team really likes becomes available.
Personally, I think we get both under contract for not a whole lot more than $5M combined.

And they do have a pretty good cap situation, though it could have been perfect if not for Nonis's ****ery last off-season. Amnesty Liles instead of Komisarek and avoid Clarkson like the plague, and we would've had no buyouts counting against the cap, and no albatross contracts left on the books by this summer.

I wonder which side Phaneuf played on in junior ... because in his Calgary days, he spent most of the time playing on the R side despite behind a leftie, and the same in Toronto. So he's technically a "right sided defenseman" in the NHL.

That said, I can't help but notices his clumsiness playing with his backhand near the board, especially in keeping the point when under pressure ... I wonder if a change back to the L side will help him with that?

Unless we have another addition to our defense core, shifting Dion over to the left side shouldn't really be a consideration. Because I'm really not too interested in seeing Stephane Robidas, Roman Polak or Cody Franson trying to play top-pairing minutes alongside Dion Phaneuf.

Phaneuf: 18es, 3pp, 3pk = 24tot
Robidas: 18es, 0pp, 3pk = 21tot

Rielly: 15es, 3pp, 1pk = 19tot
Polak: 15es, 0pp, 3pk = 18tot

Gardiner: 15es, 3pp, 2pk = 20tot
Franson : 15es, 3pp, 0pk = 18tot

Team Canada picking a new captain for a new team four years later is the same as stripping Dion of the C? You can't be serious. You really can't be serious.

It wasn't a change four years before. It was the year before.
And again, other teams have also made this change, and had positive results.
Dion is not a leader. If you think we need to bring Gary Roberts out of retirement or bring in somebody else before removing the "C" from Dion, that's your opinion. We are on year three of consecutive late season meltdowns. That's not all on Dion, but he is the Captain, after all.

It wasn't a change four years before. It was the year before.
And again, other teams have also made this change, and had positive results.
Dion is not a leader. If you think we need to bring Gary Roberts out of retirement or bring in somebody else before removing the "C" from Dion, that's your opinion. We are on year three of consecutive late season meltdowns. That's not all on Dion, but he is the Captain, after all.

I think if management thinks this team lacks leadership, they should bring in leadership. Not change a ****ing letter. It's not a magic letter.

I can't make my stance any clearer here. If they think there's a problem, change the personnel. Otherwise the leadership in the room is still the same.

I think if management thinks this team lacks leadership, they should bring in leadership. Not change a ****ing letter. It's not a magic letter.

I can't make my stance any clearer here. If they think there's a problem, change the personnel. Otherwise the leadership in the room is still the same.

Well, so far this summer, we can see what the management thinks of the leadership: everything's fine. No leaders have been added to the team, and the leaders behind the bench and in the front office are fine also.
Apparently, you're content to defer to their judgement in this matter. So be it.
I see little improvement on last season, or worse, since little has changed, so I choose to respectfully disagree with management.

Well, so far this summer, we can see what the management thinks of the leadership: everything's fine. No leaders have been added to the team, and the leaders behind the bench and in the front office are fine also.
Apparently, you're content to defer to their judgement in this matter. So be it.
I see little improvement on last season, or worse, since little has changed, so I choose to respectfully disagree with management.

I really can't be more clear on my stance on this. If I think there is a leadership problem, I'd change the personnel rather than a letter.

That's all I'm going to say more on the matter - if you can't find anyone to further engage you here in the "Stripping Dion of the C" discussion, I'd probably suggest a radio call-in show or HFboards. There's probably a poll on it as we speak.

I see a Frenchman, a Finn with a Commie name, and an Organ Grinder in that list. Definitely not the white white way that Pang was thinking of. We need like white Irish and English here. White white. Not even working class white.

Finns are the European version of Canadians

Epic_401315_1355967.jpg

Need moar

Apparently the fans are letting the avs know they are sick of their low balling of Oreilly and others. The article ends with. "We better get a top defenseman. ". Not saying franson is that but is there still interest in an Oreilly

That's a bizarre take.

Every single move they've made this year and last year has been to improve intangibles like leadership, character, compete, chemistry, or some other silly cliche.

Robidas, komorov, polak, frattin, santo, clarkson, bolland, etc.

The one thing they don't seem interested in improving is that thing called hockey skill.

That thread turned into a discussion on 80's cartoons in a hurry
I thought it was a pretty perfect thread to encapsulate this forum though.

Someone attempting a "told ya so", followed by a smattering of serious discussion and a whole bunch of attention deficit disorder.

I thought it was a pretty perfect thread to encapsulate this forum though.

Someone attempting a "told ya so", followed by a smattering of serious discussion and a whole bunch of attention deficit disorder.

Yep

Though I find it odd that Mirtle is just finding a thread from December, right now.

Back