• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Shanahan named President of Hockey Operations

The leafs are even less a Tortorella team than a Carlyle team.

Disagree with that... Torts preaches aggressivness in all 3 zones, he even said last night he is a hybrid coach who likes to use a mix of grit and off the rush attack. Carlyle is different, his idea of playing defense is having everyone collapse down low and when they have the puck to play a dump n chase game that involves heavy forechecking... totally opposite ends of the spectrum if u ask me.

Shanahan on analytics (paraphrasing) "I am open to anything that will help this team. Only idiots ignore information."

Agree with 101, Torts would be bad. Not just because he's mentally unstable but also because those who want a more structured system would hate this move..Anyone who saw Tampa Bay(when they won the Cup with amazing goaltending) knows this...You need to score 4-5 goals to win games and guys would be getting caught out of position way too often(because of the high pressure up front)...Terrible idea...

Shanahan on analytics (paraphrasing) "I am open to anything that will help this team. Only idiots ignore information."

I found that entire press conference kinda awkward. Not much being said(and fair enough since theyr'e still analyzing i guess) and then kinda beating around the bush when asked who is making the final decision..Nonis just kept saying "well umm well..." barely could finish his sentence..Finally admitted that Shanahan is his boss so it'll be up to him.

I do like that part. Nonis can't make any big decisions without going to Shanny(haven't been impressed with his trades)...so that's definitely a positive. Hopefully Shanahan has better vision in terms of what this team needs.

The Nonis trades haven't been awful, but the FA signings are a disaster. Our pro-scouting department needs an entire revamp I suspect.

I found that entire press conference kinda awkward. Not much being said(and fair enough since theyr'e still analyzing i guess) and then kinda beating around the bush when asked who is making the final decision..Nonis just kept saying "well umm well..." barely could finish his sentence..Finally admitted that Shanahan is his boss so it'll be up to him.

I do like that part. Nonis can't make any big decisions without going to Shanny(haven't been impressed with his trades)...so that's definitely a positive. Hopefully Shanahan has better vision in terms of what this team needs.

Feaster 2.0.

Nonis has no problem doing that job though. He did it for years with Burke.

Nonis is an experienced GM. I have no problem with him as long as the decision making is taken out of his hands. That is actually exactly what a situation like this needs in the GM role.

Did Nonis ever want the GM job to begin with? I'm thinking probably not.

eventually he'll end up back in the arms of Burkie, together again.

Back