• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Classic Example of the Ineptitude of Gale Force Holdings

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeyKurtz

Those of you involved in local youth hockey no doubt have heard of the East Coast Eagles, a local program that is not part of the RYHA or Junior Hurricanes program.

Last weekend, the Eagles' U16 team won the Tier II national championship, becoming the first NC-based team to win a national championship at such a high level. It's really a great story demonstrating the progress youth hockey has made here.

The Canes invited the team to tonight's game and had the players wear their jerseys, apparently in anticipation of recognizing their accomplishment publicly. The boys put on their jerseys, sat together at the arena and...AT NO POINT DURING TONIGHT'S GAME WAS THEIR ACCOMPLISHMENT RECOGNIZED. No PA announcement, no message on the scoreboard, no camera shot on the video board...nothing.

It was a nice gesture by the organization to provide tickets for the team to attend the game. But to not recognize them in any way is ridiculous...and a classic example of how poorly the business and marketing side of this organization operates.

Hmmm, I thought for sure I saw them on the video board with a caption of U16 AA National Champions or something like that... did I dream it?

Yes, I saw it, too. But it would have been far better had they made a loud verbal announcement about the team and winning the tournament. Few in the arena had any idea of why they were there. Ineptitude is a kind description.

Wow, this one got a lot of mileage. I saw the tweets after a caller was on 99.9 and I've seen complaints in other fan outlets.

I guess that's what happens when everything else goes wrong, fans criticize them even when they did something right. :lol Free tickets AND video board notice...still not enough. :lol

So that's what it was. A lady in front of me remarked that there was some quick mention of a youth team that did something. Agree an overhead announcement would have been appropriate. But of course they should be more concerned with the fabulous product on the ice.

Lots of folks missed it, including me. I was sitting with parents who came to the game for the recognition and they left angry and sad as they missed it. When the Junior Canes won in Quebec, we all knew and those boys were on the ice-- there was a big parade of former players sons, too. The announcement for this was missed by many. I think the expectation was an in house announcement-- Brian Hoyle or even Amber Jaye-- saying something OUT LOUD to actually draw attention to it.

I am sorry I missed it. I am glad the Canes did something. I just wish the boys and their parents were not disappointed because their accomplishment and the adversity the faced to achieve what they did was excellent was classic.

Given the title of the thread, I think this is far more the ineptitude we have come to know and expect. Rather than giving it their all, the Canes give it some...kind of like the product on the ice this season-- .500 hockey.

Meh ... it was half-assed at best. I talked to one of the Moms and the kids were thrilled to be there and get what they got, but I'd bet that over half to fans in the arena missed the graphic. It was that low-key and that poorly timed. Like Slappy said ... perfect Canes. Make a nice gesture, but take away most of the benefit by doing a crappy job on the little things. Sums up our collective experience with GFH nicely, doesn't it?

They need some lessons in customer experience and a culture change at all levels of the operation--including part time staff. It's not about fulfilling obligations and meeting expectations--its exceeding expectations.

In addition to a video announcement, they could have arranged for one of the scratched players to stop by, with a "handler", to congratulate the kids. In other places that would create a mad house. Here, it would not be out of control.

Lots of ways to make a very nice thought that they had an unforgettable experience for all.

That malaise is a big part of my decision not to renew-----I could deal with imperfect performance (although I'd probably be ready to pull money if they do nothing this off season), but when the overall experience is one of dreading going to the arena for at least half the games, it is time to stop going.

In addition to a video announcement, they could have arranged for one of the scratched players to stop by, with a "handler", to congratulate the kids. In other places that would create a mad house. Here, it would not be out of control.

Lots of ways to make a very nice thought that they had an unforgettable experience for all.

It's unfortunate that the kids left thinking there had not been a public acknowledgement, but c'mon, the Canes provided tickets for an entire team and did recognize them. I guess there was some sort of miscommunication about *how* the kids would be recognized (and I suppose someone knows if there was a commitment to make it more "public" or if there was just a presumption of such), but I'm impressed that after free tickets and an acknowledgement that people are STILL complaining.

Like I said, I guess when everything sucks, they can't do anything right! :lol

Seems like a bit of ungratefulness to me. Maybe they can do a one hour TV special on ESPN for them next?

Yes, the team and management suck, but this is sour grapes.

It's unfortunate that the kids left thinking there had not been a public acknowledgement, but c'mon, the Canes provided tickets for an entire team and did recognize them. I guess there was some sort of miscommunication about *how* the kids would be recognized (and I suppose someone knows if there was a commitment to make it more "public" or if there was just a presumption of such), but I'm impressed that after free tickets and an acknowledgement that people are STILL complaining.

Like I said, I guess when everything sucks, they can't do anything right! :lol

That is not what I'm saying.

In the scope of things, if your goal is the do something nice, they did it. If they set expectations higher, and underdelivered (they blew it). But ultimately, if they had set a basic level of expectation ("we'd love to have you and your families at the game and we will highlight your success on the Jumbotron in the second period"), and delivered on it--no outcry.

But if they go further with a verbal mention and/or the idea I mention and they have a memory that many of the kids and families would never forget. Those memories are what turn fence sitters into STHs and casual fans into regular attendees.

That is what this organization either does not understand or culturally does not instill in throughout the org.

They aren't the only ones, but when times are bad---experience really matters

That is not what I'm saying.

In the scope of things, if your goal is the do something nice, they did it. If they set expectations higher, and underdelivered (they blew it). But ultimately, if they had set a basic level of expectation ("we'd love to have you and your families at the game and we will highlight your success on the Jumbotron in the second period"), and delivered on it--no outcry.

But if they go further with a verbal mention and/or the idea I mention and they have a memory that many of the kids and families would never forget. Those memories are what turn fence sitters into STHs and casual fans into regular attendees.

That is what this organization either does not understand or culturally does not instill in throughout the org.

They aren't the only ones, but when times are bad---experience really matters

If you say so.

I just think it's kind of crappy to have a thread (mis)titled about how the org was "classically inept", when they actually hosted an entire team for a game and someone still thinks that wasn't enough.

Yes, going above and beyond is a very nice thing. As an observer, it seems like they already did that.

But they can enjoy that fact that I'll remember the EC Eagles U16 team as the group that bitched about the Canes on the radio, twitter, various message boards after getting free tickets to the game AND a video board greeting (that listed the kid's names from what I understand) . :lol

Honestly I don't really care either way, but this is WAY silly imo.

As someone who came from the worlds of CASL vs TFC vs TUSA vs a myraid of other soccer clubs that HATED anything CASL did, I can't help but wonder if this is somehow influenced by some EC Eagles vs. CYAH thing as well. Calling into a radio program????

Last edited:
O you don't even WANT to know about the politics of this area's youth hockey... what little I know, from only living in the house program, is too much.

I thought the guy calling the Aftermath was way over the top as well..... but then again, most callers to that show are. #shotsfired :)

The reaction and outcry may be over the top, and I'm not condoning it, but in some ways, its better than the silent group that is just very frustrated that they were let down (because of mis-set expectations) and uses that to base other decisions on not supporting the org.

If expectations were set, and they wanted more, shame on those folks.

But if there were mis-set, shame on the canes.

Either way, it is an example where doing a little more (Lagniappe, for all you New Orleans folks) would buy a ton of good will.

The reaction and outcry may be over the top, and I'm not condoning it, but in some ways, its better than the silent group that is just very frustrated that they were let down (because of mis-set expectations) and uses that to base other decisions on not supporting the org.

If expectations were set, and they wanted more, shame on those folks.

But if there were mis-set, shame on the canes.

Either way, it is an example where doing a little more (Lagniappe, for all you New Orleans folks) would buy a ton of good will.

because free tickets AREN'T Lagniappe???

This is really silly for me to continue and it affects me not at all, but anyone who would even consider NOT supporting the Canes because they didn't get the exact kind of acknowledgment they believed they deserved after getting FREE TICKETS. Ugh, just stop.

Seriously, no wonder youth sports gets a bad reputation.

because free tickets AREN'T Lagniappe???

This is really silly for me to continue and it affects me not at all, but anyone who would even consider NOT supporting the Canes because they didn't get the exact kind of acknowledgment they believed they deserved after getting FREE TICKETS. Ugh, just stop.

Seriously, no wonder youth sports gets a bad reputation.

I am not part of the group, so have no cross to bear here. Considering how easy it is to get discounted tickets, free tickets may not be much of a perk (kidding).

All I am saying is this is all about expectations that were set for the entire experience.

And clearly, something went wrong.

Do I think it merits this many responses and as big a public outcry as it did--probably not, but clearly people were hurt by it.

again, if they felt slighted because they expected more, but the Canes org did not give any reason for them to expect more, then shame on them.

But the outcry is so loud, I believe (and could be wrong) that more was "promised" or "strongly implied"

My main point is that organizations that pride themselves on customer experience will, 99/100, do even a little bit more, to wow you.

something broke down here...and it may be piling on---but the Canes org has shown a consistent pattern of getting some things right, but more often, screwing up on little things that often make all the difference in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back