• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: DeadCanes vs CandyThings 4/11 @ 7:30

Freakin canes, can't win when it's for the playoffs, can't lose when it's for a draft choice.

^Yep, if this was a must win game to snag the 8th place spot in the playoffs, they would have given up two late goals, in the last 20 seconds! I'm glad this season is over. I need a LONG break from Canes hockey! I need the summer to decide if I care or not.

Didn't watch...don't much care.....but I always like to hear about a win. Also glad to hear Cam played well. If nothing else it makes moving him easier.

The Canes organization's first ever "regular season" win at Detroit!

Last win there in the regular season was by the Whalers!

At least Ward went out on a solid performance which should help with our ability to move him. He made some nice aggressive stops last night with good lateral movement.

I'd say Boychuk and Terry might have had a decent opportunity to make the big squad next year, BUT neither one may have any desire to sign with the Canes/Checkers again. And I wouldn't blame them. Terry may need to seriously think about trying to make some cash in Europe, if even possible. His window of NHL opportunity is nearly closed. You have to assume Dvorak is long gone. There's zero reason to sign him again. You'd have to hope Bowman is gone, another wasted roster spot. Those slots will have to be filled, and filled at bargain basement prices. So, unless Francis really likes LaRose, Boychuk and/or Terry may have a shot, IF they sign.

Boychuk should be past the point where he is willing to accept a 2-way deal considering he played well for the Canes and dominated the AHL. Unless the KHL comes calling with bags of cash Boychuk SHOULD be in line for Bowman ' s 1 way $600k salary. Other than bolting for Europe or the KHL he still doesn't have leverage.

The Canes would be really dumb to not give him a legit shot at a full time NHL job. He's still cheap and he led the AHL in goals and PP goals. How about penning him in for a 3rd line job and PP spot next year and give him a full year like Bowman just got for no reason other than his salary.

I do see this as a done deal in the org's mind.

Boychuk slots right into Bowman's LW fourth line slot positionally and salary-wise as a talent upgrade over Bowman and a more useful part as it can be used both on a PP unit and as an injury fill-in on higher lines.

Will mean the other two fourth liners will need to both be PK unit pieces, as Boychuk is not going to be on that unit, as Bowman was, but that's okay. We're hiring for a fourth line RW anyway, as agreed, Dvorak probably scored his last Canes goal at our home closer, so just add PK-worthy to the hire criteria.

And no room for Terry as he is a LW stacked behind Boychuck. If in Charlotte, he becomes first LW call-up, but doubt he makes the team out of training camp.

EDIT: Heck, what am I thinking? Already have that RW in house. Dwyer...properly slotted.

Last edited:
At least Ward went out on a solid performance which should help with our ability to move him. He made some nice aggressive stops last night with good lateral movement.

Odd to say this, but that was about the only positive I could convince myself of coming out of that win. That and being able to lose that "never won in Detroit during the regular season" tag. It's big picture time, and in the big picture, at least Ward looked strong in front of the folks scouting the Wings for the playoffs. Should help with dealing him along this summer. Your last impressions tend to stick ... that's what people keep telling me at least.

No real harm done to draft position. We seem to be pretty solidly in sixth position, with no worse than seventh if Vancouver can't beat either of Edmonton or Calgary.

There will be very useful choices (Ritchie/Fleury) at either slot. So go ahead and savor the franchise victory and Cam's role in notching it.

We probably did real damage to Detroit, too, making it more likely they stay in eighth place and face Boston instead of Pittsburgh. Columbus has the ROW tiebreaker and faces Florida to Detroit's St. Louis as their closer.

So there's that.

Back