• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2014 NHL Draft Thread

Why didn't he train with him last off season? seams pretty simple that after a good season you repeat that same off season that set you up for it

Apparently the Leafs wanted him back with Anthony Belza. They were disappointed that he hadn't lost enough weight. I brought it up at the time, but their priorities for his fitness have been all ****ed up from the beginning. First they wanted him to bulk up, he put on too much weight, not enough muscle and it slowed him down. Then he lost the extra 10 points and was still weak. Then he trained with Gary Roberts, and Roberts isn't a fat loss boot camp. His entire program is about functional, flexible, sport specific strength. Leafs get mad that Kadri's body fat % isn't where they want it to be. Kadri then ****s shit up and looks like an impending elite player ready to break out. Leafs push him back into their strength and development program and we saw what happened this year.

There's a reason why a ton of elite hockey players train with Roberts, and in my opinion, there's also a reason why we're not the best conditioned team in the league.

Interesting and very very stupid to force him back into a program that has not proven to work for him. I remember that the leafs don't like their guys going to roberts for some reason but hopefully with new management in place (TL, Shanahan etc) that can change. He is a guy i would back up a brinks truck for and have him take over all MLSE teams.

[video=youtube;Umr1Ip5SimU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umr1Ip5SimU[/video]

Jared McCann looks pretty good.

Saw Ehlers play last night... a couple of notes.

One, he doesn't play with Drouin except on the PP, so I don't think his stats are too inflated by the Drouin effect. With that said, he looks like a floating fagpouchie. Think Mason Raymond but more afraid of contact. Super slick and silky and skilled with the puck, but avoids danger areas like the plague.

Soft, skilled, perimeter player. I would stay far, far away from him.

Also got to see Bibeau outplay Fucale, so that was nice. Bibeau is big and moves well in the net.

DP, ive been watching the moose this playoffs too and i agree on your comments on Ehlers. He's a nifty player for sure but im not sure i'd be happy if the leafs drafted him. Not much more to say than that.

Bibeau has played great so far in the series, the Val dor offense is the main issue but i agree that Bibeau has outplayed Fucale, we may have diamond in the rough there!

Ehlers reminds me far too much of Ty Rattie to warrant feeling comfortable with the Leafs taking him in the first round, let alone the top ten. Great offensive instincts, but very flawed player by most accounts.

Now, with that having been said, Rattie was a first year pro this year and put up 31 goals.

I think Ehlers position at, or near, the top of the draft class is a result of two facts: you're not dealing with a lot depth this year and the kid has, in spite of his flaws, put up great numbers.

Once we're through the World U-18 and the CHL League Championships, Jays and I should have this year's Top 30 up.

Any sneak peek info? Who is looking good at our range? I can't for the life of me decide who i would want and why. All the players in the top 10 have characteristics that i like and flaws that i dont like.

U18 Prospects in Range of Leafs Pick
1. William Nylander - 3 gp, 3 gls, 7 pts
2. Jake Virtanen - 3 gp, 2 gls, 4 pts
3. Brandon Perlini - 3 gp, 2 gls, 3 pts
4. David Pastrnak - 3 gp, 0 gls, 2 pts
5. Kasperi Kapanen - 3 gp, 1 gl, 1 pt
Jared McCann - 3gp, 1 gl, 1 pt
Hayden Fleury - 3 gp, 0 gls, 1 pt

CHL Playoffs Prospects in Range of Leafs Pick
1. Nikolaj Ehlers - 11 gp, 9 gls, 21 pts
2. Robbie Fabbri - 9 gp, 9 gls, 16 pts
3. Ivan Barbashev - 6 gp, 3 gls, 10 pts
4. Nick Ritchie - 11 gp, 5 gls, 10 pts
5. Jared McCann - 9 gp, 2 gls, 7 pts
6. Jake Virtanen - 6 gp, 1 gl, 4 pts
7. Haydn Fleury - 9 gp, 0 gls, 2 pts
8. Brendan Perlini - 7 gp, 0 gls, 1 pt

Europe Playoffs Prospects in Range of Leafs Pick
1. William Nylander (Sweden U 20) 5 gp, 3 gls, 8 pts (SHL) 2 gp, 0 gls, 0 pts
2. David Pastrnak (Sweden U 20)- 2 gp, 0 gls, 0 pts
3. Kasperi Kapanen (Finland) - 0 gp, 0 gls, 0 pts

U18 Prospects in Range of Leafs Pick
1. William Nylander - 3 gp, 3 gls, 7 pts
2. Jake Virtanen - 3 gp, 2 gls, 4 pts
3. Brandon Perlini - 3 gp, 2 gls, 3 pts
4. David Pastrnak - 3 gp, 0 gls, 2 pts
5. Kasperi Kapanen - 3 gp, 1 gl, 1 pt
Jared McCann - 3gp, 1 gl, 1 pt
Hayden Fleury - 3 gp, 0 gls, 1 pt

heh. wonder if he's as good as myrtle.

Apparently the Leafs wanted him back with Anthony Belza. They were disappointed that he hadn't lost enough weight. I brought it up at the time, but their priorities for his fitness have been all ****ed up from the beginning. First they wanted him to bulk up, he put on too much weight, not enough muscle and it slowed him down. Then he lost the extra 10 points and was still weak. Then he trained with Gary Roberts, and Roberts isn't a fat loss boot camp. His entire program is about functional, flexible, sport specific strength. Leafs get mad that Kadri's body fat % isn't where they want it to be. Kadri then ****s shit up and looks like an impending elite player ready to break out. Leafs push him back into their strength and development program and we saw what happened this year.

There's a reason why a ton of elite hockey players train with Roberts, and in my opinion, there's also a reason why we're not the best conditioned team in the league.

Kadri trained with Gary for like a month or so and was coming off an injury. When he was there he slacked pretty hard.

Now, Gary does train a bunch of players and some solid up-and-comers, but he also loses guys too because of how expensive he is. For reference, he lost Jeff Skinner to Crosby's trainer last summer and Skinner came back with a much better year.

Kadri trained with Gary for like a month or so and was coming off an injury. When he was there he slacked pretty hard.

Now, Gary does train a bunch of players and some solid up-and-comers, but he also loses guys too because of how expensive he is. For reference, he lost Jeff Skinner to Crosby's trainer last summer and Skinner came back with a much better year.
Where is that information coming from?

I honestly don't care who Kadri trains with as long as they have a track record of developing elite athletes. Roberts does, as would Sid's trainer obviously. As an organization, Toronto doesn't seem to do a great job of producing physical specimen type hockey players. If we're gutting areas of the organization, it should be near the top of the list.

Kadri needs to learn that one good offseason does not make him elite - elite players work harder than everyone else EVERY DAY.

I honestly don't care who Kadri trains with as long as they have a track record of developing elite athletes. Roberts does, as would Sid's trainer obviously. As an organization, Toronto doesn't seem to do a great job of producing physical specimen type hockey players. If we're gutting areas of the organization, it should be near the top of the list.

Agreed. The Leafs trainers have been sub-par in their development, if only because of what they are trying to do with their athletes. I think Gary is good, just a bit overrated by everyone because he is a name in the industry.

The big 3 guys in the GTA are Gary Roberts (Stamkos, Neal, Smith, Schenn, Staal, and McDavid), Andy O'Brien (Crosby, Spezza, Duchene, Landeskog, MacKinnon and Luongo) and Richard Clark (PK Subban and John Tavares). Then there is Ben Prentiss in the US also (St. Louis, Pacioretty, JVR, Richards, Moulson).

Kadri just needs to take his shit seriously. For instance, Del Zotto got booted out of Gary's program back in the day for not taking it seriously.

Well, it didn't surprise me Kadri has a setback in his 2nd full NHL season, and playing on 50 points pace is not great, but very respectable numbers given his circumstances.

Agreed. The Leafs trainers have been sub-par in their development, if only because of what they are trying to do with their athletes. I think Gary is good, just a bit overrated by everyone because he is a name in the industry.

The big 3 guys in the GTA are Gary Roberts (Stamkos, Neal, Smith, Schenn, Staal, and McDavid), Andy O'Brien (Crosby, Spezza, Duchene, Landeskog, MacKinnon and Luongo) and Richard Clark (PK Subban and John Tavares). Then there is Ben Prentiss in the US also (St. Louis, Pacioretty, JVR, Richards, Moulson).

Kadri just needs to take his shit seriously. For instance, Del Zotto got booted out of Gary's program back in the day for not taking it seriously.

Oh, Roberts is a bit over rated when it comes to overall results (For every Stamkos, there is a Weiss), but the biggest thing he does imo is not just train you, but convert you. If you give yourself over to the Church of Roberts, you're going to be a health and conditioning freak. There's nothing more important out of a professional athlete than that level of zeal for being in peak shape.

You don't get these

1902gzy5wjbrqjpg.jpg

By skipping leg day and spending it out on the golf course in the summer.

Back