• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Gale Force ... You're On the Clock ... Post Season Changes Thread

We are apparently Musco's current poster child. I know they've done several other professional arenas, but haven't been to any of them. LED lighting is the way of the future for sporting venues, so I guess it's nice to be on the cutting edge of something, since we're clearly not on the cutting edge of winning hockey games.

Buddy of mine just emailed me that he's not sure he wants better lighting on what's been going on down there.

I told him not to worry...the paper bags over our heads would help with that issue. :sarcasm

In related news, the Nassau Colisseum is installing incandescent lights for the first time, just as the Islanders prepare for their last season.

Buddy of mine just emailed me that he's not sure he wants better lighting on what's been going on down there.

I told him not to worry...the paper bags over our heads would help with that issue. :sarcasm

Hope the lights shine brightly on a resurgent Wolfpack - there's something to look forward to. Maybe. I hope. Which springs eternal, I hear.

I always liked the way the lights "used" to look at MSG with the focus on the ice/court and darkness in the stands. Sadly the newly renovated MSG changed it.

In related news, the Nassau Colisseum is installing incandescent lights for the first time, just as the Islanders prepare for their last season.

Previously lit by candles and torches, correct? That place has always looked like a dungeon on TV. As did MSG prior to their recent renovation. Both gave the effect of watching a stage play, which had some charm I guess but really just read weird and old fashioned.

I remember when they first put modern lighting into Reynolds Coliseum back in the late Valvano era. I was so ungodly bright in that little bandbox that it illuminated all the weird nooks and crannies in the deeper corners of the upper bowl that I'm sure many TV viewers never even knew were back there. The new lights also raised the temperatures in the higher rows on the upper bowl to the point where it got darned near uninhabitable. Our seats were level with the entrance ramp in Section 12 and we could barely breathe sometimes.

First evening of Select-a-Seat going on for STH's with high-priority that wish to change seats.

From this photo just tweeted by a long-time STH, there will be plenty of options from which to choose if a STH is inclined to move elsewhere than last season's seats.

White sheet of paper on the seat back means "available".

Previously lit by candles and torches, correct? That place has always looked like a dungeon on TV. As did MSG prior to their recent renovation. Both gave the effect of watching a stage play, which had some charm I guess but really just read weird and old fashioned.

I remember when they first put modern lighting into Reynolds Coliseum back in the late Valvano era. I was so ungodly bright in that little bandbox that it illuminated all the weird nooks and crannies in the deeper corners of the upper bowl that I'm sure many TV viewers never even knew were back there. The new lights also raised the temperatures in the higher rows on the upper bowl to the point where it got darned near uninhabitable. Our seats were level with the entrance ramp in Section 12 and we could barely breathe sometimes.

I loved that place. Then there was the cigarette cloud on the concourse before the smoking ban. Great memories.

First evening of Select-a-Seat going on for STH's with high-priority that wish to change seats.

From this photo just tweeted by a long-time STH, there will be plenty of options from which to choose if a STH is inclined to move elsewhere than last season's seats.

White sheet of paper on the seat back means "available".

That's the south end zone, the shoot twice end. I took the same picture. It's not just the white sheets of paper, it's ANY sheet of paper. The colors differentiate the price ranges.

Shades of '03-'04. We'll be able to hear individual fans.

"Malik! Back door!"...STH's voice rings out from the back row of Section 324.

*Malik snaps head around, and rotates off his post position to cover sneaky player*

It happened.

That picture does look ugly, but those just represent seats that are not currently claimed by full season ticket holders. How many full (not partial) season ticket holders did this team really have prior to sucking up the joing 7 out of 8 years? Today its probably as low as its ever been. Some of those seats in the picture will be occupied by partial plan holders once no full season ticket holders take over their seats.

That said, its not going to surprise me to have under 10k in attendance at a few weekday games in Oct or November if this team doesn't explode out of the gate. I expect the Canes to really push promotions hard for weekday games in a desperate effort to try to get non-season ticket holder fannies in the building. I'm still leery of whether or not they are going to be able to sell out opening night after folks see how much more they are going to have to pay with the premium pricing. Do the Canes risk maybe not selling out because of those those new sky high prices and premium price the home opener or do they play it safe and price that one as as regular game just to make sure they come out of the gate with a likely sellout?

That picture does look ugly, but those just represent seats that are not currently claimed by full season ticket holders. How many full (not partial) season ticket holders did this team really have prior to sucking up the joing 7 out of 8 years? Today its probably as low as its ever been. Some of those seats in the picture will be occupied by partial plan holders once no full season ticket holders take over their seats.

That said, its not going to surprise me to have under 10k in attendance at a few weekday games in Oct or November if this team doesn't explode out of the gate. I expect the Canes to really push promotions hard for weekday games in a desperate effort to try to get non-season ticket holder fannies in the building. I'm still leery of whether or not they are going to be able to sell out opening night after folks see how much more they are going to have to pay with the premium pricing. Do the Canes risk maybe not selling out because of those those new sky high prices and premium price the home opener or do they play it safe and price that one as as regular game just to make sure they come out of the gate with a likely sellout?

If they have 5,000 full STH I'd be surprised. The sea of paper was overwhelming and a little depressing. As great as my seats in the Mezz are, is anyone going to pay $100 for it for a "Marquee Gold" game?

Rookie camp has started. Three NC'ers are in.
Josh Wesley, Logan Halliday and a kid from Charlotte.

Very unlikely andyt. Let me tell you though...season ticket holders that Stubhub their tickets for games they can't or don't want to go do might be able to squeeze a few more bucks out of folks for those games (which they do anyway for those 'premium games', but it it might be more dramatic once someone sees that 30% box office markup).

I can say for sure that my family and I are going to be Stubhub shopping big time this year and looking for the cheapest seats in the building and eating before we arrive more often than we have the past 2 seasons. Still want to attend as many games as possible (at least as long as the team is competitive) but need to cut down on the overall cost. As for their premium box office prices...good luck with that. There is no possible way I'm spending that much money to see a Canes regular season game, ever!

The seats I gave up were in that shot. I can tell you there was twice ask a nylon available seats...at least c compared to last year and the year before

I usually go even if I'm not interested in changing mine. Just couldn't bring myself to do it this year.

We've gone to Select-a-Seat almost every year ourselves, not to shop seats, but just to go walkabout in the timeshare.

But not this year, even with the lure of delvelopment camp ambience.

However, I do have the Thurs/Fri ice sessions on my calendar and will probably make at least one of them.

This is my first year not going to select-a-seat. I never change seats, but only go to get the "vibe" and a bit of an off season fix. Not this year. Didn't have the heart. Looking at that picture, we have become the Islanders, Florida, Atlanta- perennial losing teams with more empty seats than fans with a hollow sounding arena. I am so depressed. I suspect it will be a long season...

Interesting. Just noticed that, according to Cap Geek, Carolina is tied for the fewest players signed past the 2015-16 season. We have five players signed past the next two seasons: Skinner, J Staal, Faulk, Hainsey and Semin. Arizona, Florida, Minnesota, Montreal and New Jersey also have only five.

Back