• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Draft Lottery @ 8 PM Tonight (4/15)

And the NBA lottery wasn't rigged so the Knicks could draft Patrick Ewing, right? Dave DeBusschere should have won an Oscar for the shocked look on his face when they were drawn.

Either way ... we'd get screwed. Nobody's doing this franchise any favors. Never have, never will. And that's fine.

I'd like to see an unweighted draft.

14 teams with an equal chance at #1. It would also solve the 'fail for nail" type of crap that no true competitive league should ever accept.

Plus, it was a really boring show last night.

I may have posted this before, but here's my idea for an interesting and fair NHL draft lottery system.

First, take the end of season standings and rank the 14 non-playoff teams from worst to best. Give the worst team 14 balls in the pot, the 2nd worst 13, etc.. and 1 ball for the best team. Then rank all the non-playoff teams based on the last 20 games of the regular season, and use the reverse approach (best team gets 14, 2nd gets 13,... the worst gets 1). Then draw from the pot to get your 1-14. I find this weighted average approach to be a perfect middle ground between the classic concept allowing the worst teams the greatest chance to land the best talent available, while at the same time discouraging the teams from tanking at the end of the season.

Here's a better idea, hold a losers tourney or an anti cup tourney.
The winner gets first pick, second second pick, etc.

Teams make more money and fans get playoff hockey.

I've always liked the idea of rewarding the 17th place team more so than the 30th place team. But you'd never get an NHL GM to sign off on that idea. That's way too radical.

But I'd love to see all incentive to tank, be taken away.

The players union would never sign off on a losers tourney. The players have always acted like they couldn't care less about the draft or young players, and you'd be hard pressed to find enough of them willing to play longer and risk more injury so their team could draft higher. I don't think they care enough.

Agree. 3 letters for ya, N-I-T (basketball that is)

I've always liked the idea of rewarding the 17th place team more so than the 30th place team. But you'd never get an NHL GM to sign off on that idea. That's way too radical.

But I'd love to see all incentive to tank, be taken away.

The players union would never sign off on a losers tourney. The players have always acted like they couldn't care less about the draft or young players, and you'd be hard pressed to find enough of them willing to play longer and risk more injury so their team could draft higher. I don't think they care enough.

Here's a better idea, hold a losers tourney or an anti cup tourney.
The winner gets first pick, second second pick, etc.

Teams make more money and fans get playoff hockey.

I like that idea too. Actually, KHL has something like that, called Nadezhda Cup (as opposed to Gagarin Cup which is their Stanley Cup).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadezhda_Cup
Although, I don't think it has any bearing on draft order. But I think that has even less chance of being accepted by the league than my "weighted average" idea.

I like that idea too. Actually, KHL has something like that, called Nadezhda Cup (as opposed to Gagarin Cup which is their Stanley Cup).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadezhda_Cup
Although, I don't think it has any bearing on draft order. But I think that has even less chance of being accepted by the league than my "weighted average" idea.

Let's bring back the 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15, 3 vs 14 concept in the playoffs!

That was the best way to rank playoff teams.

Canes will never be in it, but fun for everyone else...

I may have posted this before, but here's my idea for an interesting and fair NHL draft lottery system.

First, take the end of season standings and rank the 14 non-playoff teams from worst to best. Give the worst team 14 balls in the pot, the 2nd worst 13, etc.. and 1 ball for the best team. Then rank all the non-playoff teams based on the last 20 games of the regular season, and use the reverse approach (best team gets 14, 2nd gets 13,... the worst gets 1). Then draw from the pot to get your 1-14. I find this weighted average approach to be a perfect middle ground between the classic concept allowing the worst teams the greatest chance to land the best talent available, while at the same time discouraging the teams from tanking at the end of the season.

Like it

Either way ... we'd get screwed. Nobody's doing this franchise any favors. Never have, never will. And that's fine.

That statement is true for every fan of any franchise or team in all sports. By nature of being a "fan" you always feel like your team is getting screwed somehow. Hard to think of any fan base that doesn't think people are out to get them, yet some are worse than others. :)

Back