• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Draft Lottery @ 8 PM Tonight (4/15)

I just hope Vancouver doesn't get the draw. 25th place should have been ours. But, no, they had top go out and get points in the last 2 games.

Francis needs to call Mario, and find out who's posterior he needs to kiss to get the closed door treatment the Pens got in 2005.

McKenzie had him ranked 9th. He's bigger than his father, but that's really not saying much.

Can Kapanen score 30 goals a year? Dish out 40 assists? If not please Draft me a big physical forward or Dman. Enough already!

:facepalm That is so going to happen.

At #7 there will be some serious size and skill on the board at both forward and defenseman.

Toronto will be more than glad to take Ritchie if we don't. Heck, we could swap with them or a couple of others that are behind us if Kapanen is who we want.

Nothing wrong with that pick...at nine or ten, that is.

Francis needs to call Mario, and find out who's posterior he needs to kiss to get the closed door treatment the Pens got in 2005.

You mean when they were the worst team the year prior played season? In 2004 Washington skipped over Chicago and Pittsburgh to snag Ovechkin. That actually helped Pittsburgh to then land Crosby in 2005 due to the screwy weighted draft lottery the NHL came up with to determine the order. If I recall 4 teams had an equal top chance of getting Crosby with the Pens getting lucky and winning the lottery. Not sure what closed door meetings helped the Pens that year....unless of course you think the lottery is fixed.

Craig Button has us taking Kapenen at #7, with 6"2 218 lb forward Nick Ritchie and 6'2" 205 lb forward Brendan Perlini going right after we pick Kapanen. Yeah, that sounds about right for this clueless franchise. Bigger guys need more material for their uniforms...better to pick the 5'11" 172 pounder and save the money.

I saw another draft projection that have us taking Nikolaj Ehlers, who is about the same size as Kapanen. One of those really fast, dynamic offensive type players (apparently the fastest player in this draft and faster than most pros....Pavel Bure type fast). That draft also had us passing on Nick Ritchie who the Leafs grab right behind us.

Last edited:
This is what, the fifth year that the Canes have had a chance to improve their draft selection via the lottery and weren't successful? The hockey gods must be punishing us for Karmanos' hubris. Alas, a modern day Greek tragedy....

This is what, the fifth year that the Canes have had a chance to improve their draft selection via the lottery and weren't successful? The hockey gods must be punishing us for Karmanos' hubris. Alas, a modern day Greek tragedy....

I think the lottery is a bit of a joke. Its rare if anyone other than the bottom 2, or maybe 3, get the top pick.

Throw them all in the mix, at the percentages described and pick numbers until you get the full set of teams (or remove the "balls" for teams selected)......

It would be nice to have more options than jumping to number 1

I absolultely agree with you Boardwork. I would like there to be more variability in the final results not just for the first overall pick. After the first overall pick is determined, then spin the balls again for #2, #3, #4 etc. Do it for EVERY pick 1-13 (and then whoever didn't get a pick gets #14). If not for EVERY pick at least do this for the top 5 or even just the top 3.

The teams that are really bad don't want that of course as potentially you could completely stink and end up not even picking in the top 5 (unlikely but possible). I understand that position as well. The Canes problem of course is we rarely really really stink, we just sort of smell bad most years.

As much as I would like it, I doubt there would be enough support to change the current system, even if it would make things more interesting.

Exactly, Boardwork, pick all 14 positions via the lottery process and make it an entertaining event. But this is the NHL and much like the Canes seem to lack basic imagination when it comes to these things.

I think the lottery is a bit of a joke. Its rare if anyone other than the bottom 2, or maybe 3, get the top pick.

Throw them all in the mix, at the percentages described and pick numbers until you get the full set of teams (or remove the "balls" for teams selected)......

It would be nice to have more options than jumping to number 1

Here's the thing. If the NHL adopted the NBA model, does anyone really doubt that the Canes would drop slots everything they were in the lottery? Because I don't.

Here's the thing. If the NHL adopted the NBA model, does anyone really doubt that the Canes would drop slots everything they were in the lottery? Because I don't.

And the NBA lottery wasn't rigged so the Knicks could draft Patrick Ewing, right? Dave DeBusschere should have won an Oscar for the shocked look on his face when they were drawn.

Back