• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Protected Lists for Draft

Should we get rid of submitting protection list?

• Keep as is

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Get rid of this

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

soco22

Was brought up in a different thread, figured deserved its own discussion. Personally, unsure why we need to do this in a typical season. Nhl doesn't do this, that I'm aware of.

Thoughts?

I'd be 110% for eliminating the protected lists. It makes the draft considerably more confusing and serves little purpose imo.

More just an admin nightmare. Maybe leafsman can fill in why he thought was initially necessary.

Someone has already voted to keep it. I'd definitely like to hear a reason for it. Maybe I'm missing a significant reason. I can't recall what the reason was to begin with. I want to say that "encouraging player movement" was the biggest reason... but if this league has done anything it's move players... and lots of them.

I suppose it is to allow for some limited player movement, either through the draft or by forcing some trades earlier. I could take it or leave it. Definitely benefits the top teams over the bottom teams though if they're allowed to hang onto their entire roster every year without the danger of losing depth guys.

Depth guys? Would rather use my 4th pick (high 3rd rounder in real life) on a prospect like 99 percent of the time than a bench player on a good team.

Think only remember one guy picking an unprotected guy so far...and don't believe it was from a rebuilding team.

Depth guys? Would rather use my 4th pick (high 3rd rounder in real life) on a prospect like 99 percent of the time than a bench player on a good team.

Think only remember one guy picking an unprotected guy so far...and don't believe it was from a rebuilding team.

I don't know the numbers off hand, but there were at least 4 or 5 last year, plus a bunch of guys were moved pre-draft to lessen the chance of losing players.

The thinking was that it is a very simplified way to simulate free agency, which we obviously don't have. While I understand that there isn't a waiver draft in the NHL anymore teams also just can't hold on to 25 players forever either. So this is just an easy way to accomplish that.

And IMO it is working. 8 players were taken last year.

Which is fine... and if we only protected 10 players you'd draft even more players from the unprotected lists... doesn't mean we should have unprotected lists though.

The more players you have to leave exposed the more "parity" you have. But this is a dynasty league, not a keeper league. In keeper leagues you keep like 5-10 players... but in the NHL which we're trying to mimic you can't draft from other team's "unprotected lists."

The thinking was that it is a very simplified way to simulate free agency, which we obviously don't have. While I understand that there isn't a waiver draft in the NHL anymore teams also just can't hold on to 25 players forever either. So this is just an easy way to accomplish that.

We have free agency all season and a ton of movement all year. Nobody is keeping the same 25 players... in fact we have considerably more movement than the NHL... like probably 10x as much.

Not a fan of changing it - my trading strategy always includes getting some picks to flip during the season.

Here's last years results:

Olli Jokinen - traded for ME 3rd, 4th (4th round pick - 77th overall)

Jagr - trade for a 2nd round pick (4th round pick - 62nd overall)

Ryan Malone - FA aka nothing he sucks (4th round pick - 73rd overall)

So I traded for some 4th round picks and turned them into a 2nd, a 3rd and 4th in return.

Besides, with a full farm team, 4th round prospect picks won't even make my team.

...so there should be less movement?

Why would there be less? 99% of it is genuine movement where teams are trading to either improve their team for now or the future. Or adding and dropping free agents.... but the unprotected lists just cause confusion at the draft in an attempt to force more movement that isn't necessary imo.

What?

It's a dynasty league, that's the whole point.

Back