• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Coach Kirk gone

Muller, MacLean and Lewis all canned.

I get Francis talked Ulf into taking the job while the Rangers are still active?

Did not see that coming... and don't see any of our media team even talking about this yet.

Will be interesting to see how this story unfolds. Begin the Dineen and Samuelsson watches at RDU...

Confirmed .... a message just went out from the Canes official web app as well as their official twitter feed.

Muller, MacLean and Lewis all out. Brindy still around but he was more of a consultant than a full blown member of the coaching staff.

Makes sense. What little has been leaked from player exit interviews was pretty consistently either negative of neutral and something's gotta give after the last three seasons of results. Or lack thereof. Easier to change the staff than the entire roster.

Best part of that announcement was the re-assigning of Greg Stefan. Not sorry that he's been re-assigned/out at all.

I'm glad Brindy is staying-- he's reportedly been great with the young guys and he's not just one of those ex-players in the front office for appearances-- the man works.

Now, please do not announce that Daniels is coming up from Charlotte.

I wouldn't be too quick to assume that Ronnie's going to go with an old friend/teammate. He might end up doing that but give the guy a chance to think a little.

This is actually a case where the old friend route might pay some dividends. Given the phenomenal success of teammates from those mid-80s Whaler teams in developing coaching chops, I think Ronnie would be foolish not to call up Dineen, Samuelsson, and Evason and try to leverage those personal relationships. That said, I would expect that calls have gone out to Trotz, maybe even Torts, and I'm hoping Jeff Blashill in Grand Rapids.

Muller, MacLean and Lewis all canned.

I get Francis talked Ulf into taking the job while the Rangers are still active?

#12 was spotted in North Raleigh this morning doing cart wheels and high fiving everyone on his street...

Who's the next lucky bench boss to drink the Eric Kool-Aid???

Capt. Kirk,
you came in when we needed a breath of fresh air and I was grateful to see a guy with actual NHL and true leadership experience become bench boss. In the last few weeks, since the season ended, you have comported yourself with integrity and dignity all the while knowing your future was on the line. Good luck. I have no doubt you worked hard to try and turn a sow's ear into a silk purse, but under your watch that wasn't to be.
Wishing much success going forward,
SlapShots

Can't say I am entirely for the coaching change yet as I want to see what happens roster wise, but I will say if they are going make that change they did it right by cleaning house. I always hated our past coaching changes where the new guy always seemed like he was stuck with certain assistants or staff. I like Ronnie's thinking so far and hope it continues with the roster over the summer. Good first step....I hope.

#12 was spotted in North Raleigh this morning doing cart wheels and high fiving everyone on his street...

Who's the next lucky bench boss to drink the Eric Kool-Aid???

Not so fast. I get the impression that more heads will roll and E.Staal may just be one of them.

I'd like to see RF clean house in Charlotte as well.

Regardless of who the new coach is, i suspect at least a few phone calls to the STH ticket office were received. Some movement at least.

I think this is the correct move, but can't help but feel sorry for Muller. He made some good changes, but this is a business that demands results. I'm sure RF's decision has been well thought through and that he has Kirk's replacement lined up. And I'll bet we won't have to wait too long to find out.

Like Slapshot, I wish Kirk Muller well.

Any bets on the new coach! JD? Torts? Ulf? Dineen? Lavi?

I think they need a coach that has several years NHL experience and multiple trips to the playoffs.
This is no time for a rookie.

Any bets on the new coach! JD? Torts? Ulf? Dineen? Lavi?

I think they need a coach that has several years NHL experience and multiple trips to the playoffs.
This is no time for a rookie.

Torts is way too crazy and outspoken for this org!
Trotz is a safe choice and he seems be a loyal sort like this org likes.
Daniels, thanks but no thanks.
Ulf, Francis best buddy but really green behind the ears to take over this mess down here.
Dineen, he just coached the women in Sochi...enough said.

I'll take Trotz as my first choice, maybe that AHL guy in Grand Rapids that was groomed in the Wings system would be another solid choice.

Back