• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Penguins fire GM Shero

Re: Penguins fire GM Shero and head coach Bylsma

Only Bylsma wasn't fired, just Shero was.
Yeah, I have to say, this one caught me by surprise some. Shero's canning seemed inevitable given that the trades he'd engineered in the past didn't pan out the last two years. Those trades, had hidden the poor job he'd done drafting forwards and goaltenders during his tenure. Of the forwards, only Joe Vitale, Beau Bennett and Brian Gibbons (that I can recall) have made the NHL and only Beau has "top six" potential.
As for Dan Bylsma, the new GM will get to decide. Seems fair to let him (whoever he is) come in and make the call on all personnel, but given that Bylsma is probably going to be canned by that new guy, it leaves him twisting in the wind. Seems unfair to him.

Last edited:
Re: Penguins fire GM Shero and head coach Bylsma

As for GM candidates, I'd love to see Chuck Fletcher come back from Minnesota and bring Mike Yeo with him. Maybe a long shot but I look at that team and I like what I see.

Craig Patrick, the current senior advisor for the Blue Jackets, has been mentioned alot by my Facebook Pens' fans friends. I wonder if he'd want to do it.

Jason Botterill, the interim GM and AGM since Fletcher left in 2009, might be an interesting alternative but as he's been part of the team whose recent drafts have been suspect, I would be surprised to see him given the job.

Going to give the defence for Shero.

Shero's trading record has been excellent imo. Just because we haven't won the cup doesn't mean the trades haven't been significant.

Neal & Niskanen for Gologoski was an amazing deal.

Bringing in Guerin for that Cup was a minor deal with major impact.

Jussi Jokinen for nothing and the Canes picking up some of his salary

The Whitney for Kunitz deal was another top deal

Dupius & Hossa another good one.

Sure there have been a lot of bitty deals that didn't work out brilliantly and I think we gave away 1st too cheaply at times but then again our 1sts have been late so not as valuable.

People slate his drafting over the years but that hasn't been terrible..... it hasn't been brilliant..... its been about what you can expect. Its easy to say you draft terribly when you don't have a 1st rounder every other year and the one you do have are in the late 20s.

2007 - Angelo Esposito (flipped soon after) - 3 guys who have significant NHL time.
2008 - No pick in the top #100
2009 - Simon Despres (still has potential) - Philip Samuelsson & Ben Hanowski are both looking like being NHL role players.
2010 - Beau Bennett (injury slowed)
2011 - Joe Morrow (traded) - Scott Harrington looking like a great get in 2nd round.
2012 - Derrick Pouliot (looking like another Letang) & Olli Maatta (already a star)
2013 - No 1st - Tristan Jarry looking like a good goalie prospect

Go and compare that drafted record to say the Canucks who have been in a similar kinda chasing cups situation we have been. Or the Blackhawks after the Kane draft, or the Bruins since 2007.

If I remember these stats right a Top 10 pick has a 55% shot of making it, a 10-20 pick is about 33%, a 20-30 pick is about 25% likely. Hitting 1 out of 4 picks in the late end of the 1st round is the norm.

Bennett, Morrow & Maatta........ Go take a look at the dozen guys drafted after them and tell me just how many of those you would swap. There might be 1 or maybe 2 you would think about, so its not like Shero passed on 10 sure fire guys to take what he did.

Okay Contracts.......... any disastrous long term deals? You can argue Letang maybe but at the time he was a Norris candidate and that's the kinda money those guys get. Every other long term deal we have in place is for sensible to bargain prices.

None of which by the way means I don't agree with the decision..... changes had to be made and we might as well make big ones rather than minor stuff.

Shero needs to be gone as well.

Both appointments need to be outwith the organisation imo (and outwith the Preds organisation as well).

Yeah it's all about expectations and results. I suspect Bylsma will be gone as well once the new GM comes in.

David, I agreed with the defensive prospects, and that list proves it. Ben and Beau the only forwards on that list (well, and Esposito but he's out of North America now). And I did limit my trade criticisms to last year and this.

Look, I was looking for a reason to fire the guy, and only the draft failures at forward stood out to me. Before someone pointed it out to me, I wasn't even aware of it as a problem. I, like you, was focused on the Despreses, Pouliots, Harringtons and Maatas in our organization.

Long term deals? Letang's stands out, but the one for my one-time fav, Rob Scuderi, who was just awful this post-season, was another bad one.

As for the lack of "grit" everyone complained about, trading FOR James Neal is certainly part of THAT problem. He is a liability defensively, and his unwillingness to improve that aspect of his game, and general unwillingness to work hard outside of the offensive zone concerns me.

Last edited:
Back