• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Summer 2014 Transfer Thread

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The window doesn't officially open until July 1 but the rumors are hot and heavy.

As posted in another thread, Phil Bardsley is out of contract at Sunderland and has signed a 3 year contract with Stoke.

http://www.forumice.com/showthread....nsfer-Thread&p=2350674&viewfull=1#post2350674

David Luiz could be on his way to PSG for a reported £50 million. That would make him the most expensive defender in the world. Despite the UEFA FFP sanctions, PSG think they'll be safe.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...rmain-after-Chelsea-agree-50-million-fee.html

Fabregas back to the Emirates? Arsenal have right of first refusal. Expected price is about £35 million. He counts as a home developed player because he came through Arsenal's youth squad, so Man City might also be interested.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-eye-cesc-fabregas-transfer-3590453?

Not sure you could really play Cesc and Ozil at the same time unless you got the 5 central midfielders floating around formation that Arsenal were using somehow very effectively early in the season.

David Luiz could be on his way to PSG for a reported £50 million. That would make him the most expensive defender in the world. Despite the UEFA FFP sanctions, PSG think they'll be safe.

Sky Sports saying that deal is close and Luiz is having a medical already.

Its a great deal for Chelsea imo, Luiz isn't going to be a starting CB for Jose so to move him on and get that kind of money is a no brainer.

Sky Sports saying that deal is close and Luiz is having a medical already.

Its a great deal for Chelsea imo, Luiz isn't going to be a starting CB for Jose so to move him on and get that kind of money is a no brainer.

No question, take that and laugh all the way to the bank.

Not sure you could really play Cesc and Ozil at the same time unless you got the 5 central midfielders floating around formation that Arsenal were using somehow very effectively early in the season.

He could play a straight 4-5-1 with Cesc and Özil in the middle. But he'd lose one of the holding midfield slots. While I'd love to have him back, you're probably right. There are other needs that should take priority over another midfielder.

Any Adam Lallana news? Keep hearing Brendan wanted a deal done for him before the squad left for the WC but I haven't heard anything official?

I take it he will share time with Vorm ... or is he out of contract also?

He's going to compete with Vorm. Seems odd to leave a backup postion, especially coming off a FA Cup win, and move somewhere with no clear path to be the starter.

Sky Sports News are reporting Liverpool are close to agreeing a fee with Southampton for.......... Rickie Lambert.

Sky Sports News are reporting Liverpool are close to agreeing a fee with Southampton for.......... Rickie Lambert.

So ... Andy Carroll Part Deux? Or do we trust Lambert to keep bringing the intensity once he "makes it?"

So ... Andy Carroll Part Deux? Or do we trust Lambert to keep bringing the intensity once he "makes it?"

I wouldn't really compare Carroll and Lambert. Lambert is mobile and get around the field pretty well.

Think he is a good option for Liverpool, gives them somebody they can use in EPL games when you want to rest Sturridge/Suarez for Champions League.

Yeah ... I'm just thinking, another big English center forward who leaped onto the radar pretty quickly at a "smaller" club and then got a big check from Liverpool.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27704456

Sensible signing I think, adds a bit of experience to a back line that falls to bits every time Vlarr misses a game.

Yes, a thousand times yes. They've been trying to turn Clarke and Baker into Premiere League center backs for a long bloody time with no real luck. It's several years past time that they faced reality and brought in somebody with a bit of experience aside from Vlarr.

Baker shows some signs of being at least competent in the role, though he seems to always get injured. Clarke.... they can only seem to hide him as a third center back, a "defensive midfielder" sitting right in front of the defense or a shape and flow destroying fullback.

Baker shows some signs of being at least competent in the role, though he seems to always get injured. Clarke.... they can only seem to hide him as a third center back, a "defensive midfielder" sitting right in front of the defense or a shape and flow destroying fullback.

Baker is service-able at best. He's just a big-ish body with decent positioning. And yeah, he can't stay healthy which has been a problem.

Clarke on the other hand has a pretty good skill set but has been really slow to pick up on positioning and he gets pushed around a lot. He's not mobile enough to play at full back or defensive midfield but they just keep trying to find somewhere to hide the guy. You never know ... he might "get it" at some point.

But in the meantime you HAVE to give poor Vlaar some cover. They signed Jones Okore last summer in hopes of doing just that, but he went out and blew up his knee in his second game of the season. I think he's still going to be out another 6 months or so. Senderos ain't all that good, but he's a significant improvement over anything else they've got on the roster.

In other Villa news ... they've allowed Albrighton's contract to expire and it looks like he's on his way to Leicester. Given that he was home grown, he's been 16 years with the organization. Likewise, Nathan Delfoneso has also been released. He's another home grown kid who never quite panned out at the Prem level. He'll probably make a 1st division club very happy.

Back