• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs News & Notes: 2014 Offseason & Training Camp

Re: Habs News & Notes: 2014 Offseason

Eller also had a great year in the shortened season before having his face caved in.

But there is some consistency with him: He's consistently mediocre.

Really? Cuz that's the opposite of what we've been saying about Eller. Maybe brush up on your English (in addition to math)?

He was great for 6 weeks... no doubt.

He also sucked for 6 months.

Did he step up cause it was the playoffs... or was it just convenient timing for a hot streak?

Again... Bourque also stepped up in the playoffs.... do we believe he's a first line winger?

Dale Weise played great... .is he a second liner?

other preferred coaches players can fcuk up all they want and still end up on a top line , play 20 minutes a night with the best players and top pp time

and when they do nothing in the playoffs and score 2 goals in 27 playoff games , they still get top minutes

we can shit on Eller all we want he has more value on this team than we give him credit for , cause after his playoff series , he is one of the few forwards upfront you want to keep

He may not be a first liner but when he was our best forward when it mattered most , give him some extended minutes next season.

Why is this always eller vs dd. You guys really have to get over it. At no level of hockey has eller ever shown the offensive ability of dd.

Even as a rookie dd scored with benoit pouliot... matt darche... ryan white.... and others in his wing on the third line so the wongers argument doesnt even work.

We have tonaccept that they are two different players and have two different roles on this club.

Why is this always eller vs dd. You guys really have to get over it. At no level of hockey has eller ever shown the offensive ability of dd.

Even as a rookie dd scored with benoit pouliot... matt darche... ryan white.... and others in his wing on the third line so the wongers argument doesnt even work.

We have tonaccept that they are two different players and have two different roles on this club.

I agree. However you do agree that we should be more concerned over DDs ability to deliver as an offensive, no 1 pivot, than Eller's ability to perform as a no 3, quasi defensive, big bodied pivot?

Edit: I threw big bodied in there subconsciously. Damn I wish DD was 2 inches taller.

I dont think dd is a number 1. Nor is he paid like one. I think hes fine as the number 2 offensive centre.

The keys here are two fold

1) how do we get galchenyuk to become the number 1 (and remember the number 1 c doesnt always play with the number 1 winger)

2) decide what we are doing with eller/plekanec. Is eller that defensive centre or are we better off with eller as a big bodied defensively responsible lw.

I still like the idea of eller at lw on galchenyuk s line... being the defensive conscience for the line while galchenyuk develops as a centre. At rw we would need to put gallagher imo.

A revised version of the egg line.

Meanwhile

Sekac - plek - bourque is our matchup line.

Down the road re evaluate and maybe eller moves back to c when pleks leaves. But this is what id go with now.

For now
Patch - dd - parenteau would be the main offensive line

I dont think dd is a number 1. Nor is he paid like one. I think hes fine as the number 2 offensive centre.

1) how do we get galchenyuk to become the number 1 (and remember the number 1 c doesnt always play with the number 1 winger)

2) decide what we are doing with eller/plekanec. Is eller that defensive centre or are we better off with eller as a big bodied defensively responsible lw.

I still like the idea of eller at lw on galchenyuk s line... being the defensive conscience for the line while galchenyuk develops as a centre. At rw we would need to put gallagher imo.

Meanwhile

Down the road re evaluate and maybe eller moves back to c when pleks leaves. But this is what id go with now.

For now

All 30 teams have a no 1 center, wether they're good enough to be a no 1 or not. Right now who is our no 1? It isn't Eller, we agree on that, it isn't AG (yet), we agree there, so it's either Plex or DD. I don't think it matters what he's paid. Pax isn't paid like a no 1 winger but he is. PK wasn't paid like a no 1 dman last season but he was...and so on. DD is our no 1 center. That's the problem.

Two questions though...

Is that dds fault or the gms (more past admin than current)?

And

Even if hes not good enough as a number 1 centre today... what do you do... just throw him away? How does that solve the issue? And doesnt it leave us lacking a number 2 when galchenyuk becomes the number 1?

Hes a valuable piece of the team... now and in the future... if things go to plan (ie ag becomes a number 1)

Two questions though...

Is that dds fault or the gms (more past admin than current)?

And

Even if hes not good enough as a number 1 centre today... what do you do... just throw him away? How does that solve the issue? And doesnt it leave us lacking a number 2 when galchenyuk becomes the number 1?

Hes a valuable piece of the team... now and in the future... if things go to plan (ie ag becomes a number 1)

He's starting to grow on me, figuratively of course, but the problem is I'd rather have Plex at no 2 spot. I think a guy like DD fits best on a team like the ducks who are loaded with size at center or a team like Nashville that really needs a crafty playmaker and can't attract UFAs. I just don't see it working in Montreal once AG is ready.

He's starting to grow on me, figuratively of course, but the problem is I'd rather have Plex at no 2 spot. I think a guy like DD fits best on a team like the ducks who are loaded with size at center or a team like Nashville that really needs a crafty playmaker and can't attract UFAs. I just don't see it working in Montreal once AG is ready.

We're not that small anymore, either. Surely someone will do an opening-day roster comparison and I fully anticipate us to be in the middle of the pack, as opposed to being at the very bottom of the list like last year.

Meanwhile

For now

its easy ...you simply insert AG at the #1c spot and leave him there , and put Max on his wing and call it a day

WTF are we seriously leaving DD on that top line , how many more years are we gonna play this charade of having an inferior player in that role . How many more mediocore playoffs do you want to see ?

He was drafted third overall to be our #1 not a 3 . He scored as many goals as DD in 5 playoff games.

Its time for that fat ass behind the bench to wake up and make the transition in October ...the party is over with him on the top 6 .

Meanwhile

For now

its easy ...you simply insert AG at the #1c spot and leave him there , and put Max on his wing and call it a day

WTF are we seriously leaving DD on that top line , how many more years are we gonna play this charade of having an inferior player in that role . How many more mediocore playoffs do you want to see ?

He was drafted third overall to be our #1 not a 3 . He scored as many goals as DD in 5 playoff games.

Its time for that fat ass behind the bench to wake up and make the transition in October ...the party is over with him on the top 6 .

There is no reason to talk to GEEMAN about DD. He simply just doesn't like him and he's not going to change his mind.

I don't much care for him either but he's still a Hab and I have to hope he gets the job done. Still don't like seeing him on the ice all the time. Every shift the camera pans away and you see DD picking himself up off the ice.

DD was 32nd highest scoring centre and are 30 teams,so pretty easy to ballpark where he fits.

Unfortunately, it would be naïve and foolish to expect this new core to perform flawlessly with such added responsibility. Many people tend to forget that when expectations rise, the margins for error decrease as well.

By no means am I predicting that this “changing of the guard” will be an unsuccessful one, but I would just like to caution Montreal’s Stanley Cup hungry fan base. Especially after a lengthy run to the conference finals in the 2014 playoffs, there should indeed be much optimism in Habs country, but as NBC’s Pierre McGuire always stresses, it’s important to “manage expectation levels”.

Youth Movement Will Hurt Habs in 2014-15

I wholeheartedly agree, but the modus operandi of this franchise has always been to play the contracts So until AG starts getting paid more than DD I think we know who the #1 centre on this team is going to be (unfortunately)

Were it up to me I'd just put Galchenyuk in there and live with the growing pains. He represents the future. DD has no future.

There is no reason to talk to GEEMAN about DD. He simply just doesn't like him and he's not going to change his mind.

If he performed like Mats Naslund at the same size I would accept him as our top pivot . If we didnt have #27 or if we were the Habs of years ago where we had to rely on retreads like Lang , and others keep him as your gap filler for now.

But when after 3 years with top minutes with the best players , top pp time , he produces 2 goals in 27 playoff games and is a misfit as a top 2 center and like one poster just said he didn`t even rank in the top 30 , I dont know what I am supposed to cheer for .

The future is ready to take over

No team in this league would play him the way we do , and if his name was Smith he would be in the minors .

You still havent answered why he cant be a second line centre behind ag

If he performed like Mats Naslund at the same size I would accept him as our top pivot . If we didnt have #27 or if we were the Habs of years ago where we had to rely on retreads like Lang , and others keep him as your gap filler for now.

But when after 3 years with top minutes with the best players , top pp time , he produces 2 goals in 27 playoff games and is a misfit as a top 2 center and like one poster just said he didn`t even rank in the top 30 , I dont know what I am supposed to cheer for .

The future is ready to take over

No team in this league would play him the way we do , and if his name was Smith he would be in the minors .

I disagree, who is taking over top 2 centre spot? Eller may be only capable option.
In the minors? I assume that was supposed to be a joke? Or your glaucoma medicine is bit too strong?

You still havent answered why he cant be a second line centre behind ag

That's a dumb question. Because we have Plex.

And while AG learns the role we need a solid pivot behind him. DD is the equivalent at center of MAB on defence.

Back