• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs News & Notes: 2014 Offseason & Training Camp

Bournival, NB, Tokarski, Pateryn, Sven seems close , etc. Looks like they ARE doing well at developing players.

Bournival made the team, that's about it. Gallagher was also there for about 30 games.

That NB and Tinordi are still on the bubble, and Leblanc's development completely stalled, our 3 first round picks from 2009-2011, is not good.

Tokarski ok. They seems to have done a good job with Pateryn but he's also still on the bubble. Sven might never make it.

Bournival made the team, that's about it. Gallagher was also there for about 30 games.

That NB and Tinordi are still on the bubble, and Leblanc's development completely stalled, our 3 first round picks from 2009-2011, is not good.

Tokarski ok. They seems to have done a good job with Pateryn but he's also still on the bubble. Sven might never make it.

I think they're doing well, you don't. So be it.

They are doing slightly below average according to my numbers.

That is not good enough. Need to be top 5 at the min.

PK Subban was (again) at a tv show yesterday called "En mode Salvail". Speaking french (again). I guess the new management and owner care about the language of the people of Habsland.

It's cool and all that he speaks French, but I'm sure the people of Habsland mostly only care that his play speaks for itself.

I think they're doing well, you don't. So be it.

Yeah I don't. Various reports out of Hamilton don't paint a great picture there. The two lowest scoring seasons in the history of the team (their leading scorer had 31 points 2 seasons ago). It seems like no one is ever forcing the organization hands by having a great season down there, they're always looking for the least terrible player available when there is a call up. I guess unlike you I still expect some results on top of player development. I believe that players tends to develop better in a winning atmosphere, and I'm not talking about a Cup but at least being competitive.

Yeah I don't. Various reports out of Hamilton don't paint a great picture there. The two lowest scoring seasons in the history of the team (their leading scorer had 31 points 2 seasons ago). It seems like no one is ever forcing the organization hands by having a great season down there, they're always looking for the least terrible player available when there is a call up. I guess unlike you I still expect some results on top of player development. I believe that players tends to develop better in a winning atmosphere, and I'm not talking about a Cup but at least being competitive.

Have to agree with that. I think Lefebvre is making an horrible job down there. It seems most of our best prospect under perform in Hamilton. It's just horrible. Good thing Gallagher didn't play long there. We didn't develop a single forward worth mentionning since he is the coach there. Under his regime, Beaulieu didn't sky rocket and it seems Tinordi is regressing. He screwed over Leblanc. I hope he doesn't screw over Dietz either. Seriously, Bergevin needs to wake up and be a man and makes his first decision to fire someone and it should be Lefebvre and his team. Nothing positive have come out of Hamilton since they were hired. Damn If they could hire Randy Conneyworth I'd be fine. Getting Boucher would be amazing but doubtfull.

Yeah Cunneyworth was probably one of our best farm team coach. Boucher did very well too. And strangely enough, both of them were actually winning games as their players were developing.

It's strange, because I could have swore that Christian Thomas looks better than he did a year ago, Sven Andrighetto looks better than a year ago, Darren Dietz looks better than a year ago, Beaulieu looks better than a year ago... So much so that they're actually making noise to make the team. Granted, outside of Beaulieu, they're all headed back to Hamilton, but the notion that they've not improved is silly. They all improved in spite of the coaches. Tinordi so far has had a bad camp, I'd hold on before calling him ruined. Also, I've said it for four years now, Tinordi doesn't have the upside some of you think he has. He's a bottom pairing d-man at best. He does not have the adequate skillset to be anything more than that, and if you force him onto the top-4, he'll be off cast.

The more I think about it, the more I think they just exposed Leblanc's true character: Being a hockey player isn't his #1 priority in life. It's probably why he crumbled under adversity. He always chose the easy route instead of the best route for his career, from spending an extra year in Midget AAA when all of his peers had moved on to the Q, to going to Harvard over a real hockey program... And the second the going got tough, he got going.

It's strange, because I could have swore that Christian Thomas looks better than he did a year ago, Sven Andrighetto looks better than a year ago, Darren Dietz looks better than a year ago, Beaulieu looks better than a year ago... So much so that they're actually making noise to make the team. Granted, outside of Beaulieu, they're all headed back to Hamilton, but the notion that they've not improved is silly. They all improved in spite of the coaches. Tinordi so far has had a bad camp, I'd hold on before calling him ruined. Also, I've said it for four years now, Tinordi doesn't have the upside some of you think he has. He's a bottom pairing d-man at best. He does not have the adequate skillset to be anything more than that, and if you force him onto the top-4, he'll be off cast.

The more I think about it, the more I think they just exposed Leblanc's true character: Being a hockey player isn't his #1 priority in life. It's probably why he crumbled under adversity. He always chose the easy route instead of the best route for his career, from spending an extra year in Midget AAA when all of his peers had moved on to the Q, to going to Harvard over a real hockey program... And the second the going got tough, he got going.

Sven did look good in Hamilton last year, but Thomas and Dietz didn't, they didn't even seem to have improved much by the end of the season. Now they show up in training camp and look pretty good, so who should get the credit for the off-season training? If their play actually had improved during the season I would be more willing to give Lefebvre more credit. What if after a good training camp they go back to Hamilton and start sucking again, who's fault will it be?

It's always hard to judge the coach's role in a player development as you can always say that it was the player's fault, which is mostly true, but the coaches are also quite important and who knows if a given player might have succeeded or failed under a different coach. It's only be two seasons so the numbers are not yet quite clear to be able to judge effectively his work.

Back