• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs News & Notes: 2014 Offseason & Training Camp

This is pretty decent Dogs squad ! If this team miss P0 again ,then i don't see any reason to keep coaching staffs ( I still wonder how they are still around !!!)

Team success is just an added bonus. Playoffs, while fun for us & the players, is not really relevant.

Washington's farm team, the Hershey Bears, were perennial challengers for the AHL championship for a few years. Reason for that was they had Alexandre Giroux & Keith Aucoin on those teams ripping the AHL up. They were in their mid to late 20s and were career AHLers. Yeah, congrats, your AHL team is doing great, but it tells me nothing about the team's prospects.

Winning in the AHL is only relevant if it's won with your legit NHL prospects in the forefront like Grand Rapid did two years ago. That was important for them. 8 (!) of those players are now fulltime (or bordering on becoming) players on the Wings. Tatar, Glendening, Sheahan, Jurco, Andersson, Nyquist, Lashoff, Pulkkinen. Looking at the Texas Stars, who won the Calder Cup, that team doesn't have many future NHLers. A lot of career minor leaguers. So what does winning in the AHL really say about their team prospects? Not a whole 'lot, really.

The priority for coaches in the AHL is to develop talent and introduce professionalism to the new players, not winning.

It's still a good thing to develop players in winning environments....I don't disagree that priority #1 is player development as it should be.

But players still benefit from experiencing playoff hockey and the pressure that comes with it, it's also good to see who elevates their game in these situations.

It's still a good thing to develop players in winning environments....I don't disagree that priority #1 is player development as it should be.

But players still benefit from experiencing playoff hockey and the pressure that comes with it, it's also good to see who elevates their game in these situations.

You can all decide for yourselves if there is a correlation between AHL team success and NHL team success:

http://theahl.com/championship-teams-s11574

Last edited:
Definitely looking like our opening night lineup will be:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Parenteau
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher
Bourque - Eller - Sekac
Prust - Malhotra - Weise

Emelin - Subban
Markov - Gilbert
Beaulieu - Weaver

Bourque - Eller - Sekac
Prust - Malhotra - Weise

Emelin - Subban
Markov - Gilbert
Beaulieu - Weaver

Wishful thinking on your part, I'm afraid. You forgot to insert Boullion. Unfortunately Therrien won't forget.

Bourque - Eller - Sekac
Prust - Malhotra - Weise

Emelin - Subban
Markov - Gilbert
Beaulieu - Weaver

I think the EGG line gets another go with Chucky and Eller splitting centre duties. Pleks will probably play with fellow Czech Sekac and Bourque. Otherwise...yup.

Bourque - Eller - Sekac
Prust - Malhotra - Weise

Emelin - Subban
Markov - Gilbert

Beaulieu - Weaver

Not a huge fan of Gilbert or Emelin in the top 4. I can see NB pushing out Emelin soon.

Not quite sure why we bothered with Gilbert. Were they expecting both Tinordi and Beaulieu to be duds? Maybe we could have picked up another Weaver type later if needed.

Or was it simply this left/right thing.

I really don't know much about him, other than Edmonton seemed quite willing to let him go at one point. Hope to be surprised, as I was with Weaver. Otherwise, he may just be clogging the path as did Diaz and others.

I really don't know much about him, other than Edmonton seemed quite willing to let him go at one point. Hope to be surprised, as I was with Weaver. Otherwise, he may just be clogging the path as did Diaz and others.

He was then bought out by Minny and not re-signed by the woeful Panthers. Nothing there to inspire much confidence.

Team success is just an added bonus. Playoffs, while fun for us & the players, is not really relevant.

Washington's farm team, the Hershey Bears, were perennial challengers for the AHL championship for a few years. Reason for that was they had Alexandre Giroux & Keith Aucoin on those teams ripping the AHL up. They were in their mid to late 20s and were career AHLers. Yeah, congrats, your AHL team is doing great, but it tells me nothing about the team's prospects.

Winning in the AHL is only relevant if it's won with your legit NHL prospects in the forefront like Grand Rapid did two years ago. That was important for them. 8 (!) of those players are now fulltime (or bordering on becoming) players on the Wings. Tatar, Glendening, Sheahan, Jurco, Andersson, Nyquist, Lashoff, Pulkkinen. Looking at the Texas Stars, who won the Calder Cup, that team doesn't have many future NHLers. A lot of career minor leaguers. So what does winning in the AHL really say about their team prospects? Not a whole 'lot, really.

The priority for coaches in the AHL is to develop talent and introduce professionalism to the new players, not winning.

I mean winning with younger prospects not older veterans ...

Back