• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Everything William Nylander Thread

William Andrew Michael Junior Nylander Altelius

Epic name.

Scout’s Comments:
“William exudes confidence when he plays. Exceptional poise with the puck and is always looking to make threatening plays in the offensive zone. Excellent skater who is very difficult to check because of his agility and because he is always changing pace. Can make pinpoint passes in traffic and if you are his line mate, best be ready, as he will provide opportunities. Top line type player.”- Craig Button, TSN Director of Scouting

William Nylander is perhaps the most skilled dynamic forward available. The knock against Nylander is that he hasn’t shown the willingness to utilize his teammates leaving scouts to question his dedication to the team game. Without a doubt, Nylander possesses the puck skills and timely offensive instincts to become a game-breaker but it’s still fairly uncertain how high teams are willing to gamble on such a talent.
Profile from: Brendan Ross of Dobber Prospects - Feb. 21

@IssHockey - "A consistent threat; incredible skater & quickness combined w/ elite stickhandling." - Dec. 20th, 2013

@IssHockey - "Outstanding at U18 4-Nations; showcasing elite offensive weapons with 3 PTS in 3 GP." - Nov. 19th, 2013

Last Word On Sports

William Nylander is an outstanding skater. He has very good top end speed and excellent acceleration and change of pace ability. He uses this to fool defenders off the rush and to open up passing and shooting lanes by quickly changing speeds. He also shows very good agility and the ability to get around defenders one-on-one. His balance is good, but he could use more core strength in order to avoid getting knocked off the puck by bigger defenders.

In the offensive zone, Nylander shows off outstanding hands, and incredible stickhandling ability. He can control the game with the puck on his stick, and protects it well. He is an outstanding playmaker with great vision, and can pass the puck through the eye of a needle. His shot features a quick release, and good accuracy, but needs to add some power. There are plenty of skills there, but there are also some things Nylander has to work on. He must add mass, and become better along the boards and in front of the net. He also needs to make smarter decisions with the puck, sometimes he should make the simple play when it is available, instead of making the more complicated and riskier play.

Nylander will also need to work on his defensive game over the coming years. He has a tendency to float and puck watch in the defensive zone that will need to be addressed. He needs time, and a good coach, to teach him to be in the right spots defensively, and he needs to become more tenacious on the back check.

Despite some flaws, the high-end skill is as good as anyone in the draft. He has the potential to be a top line NHL centre if he can fix those issues. Still the boom or bust potential for Nylander is more prevalent in my opinion than those ranked above him, and thats why he is seventh on the list. His style (not potential, just style), compares well with Jeff Skinner of the Carolina Hurricanes.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/04/08/nhl-draft-profile-7-william-nylander/

10258538_10100832033505791_3501279127840266457_n.jpg

Toronto Maple Leafs
Born in 96. Same year Hogan, Nash, Hall started NWO. RT @CMPunk: The @MapleLeafs just drafted a 12 year old. I think.

@coreypronman: TOR select Nylander (my rank: 3), his pure skill level is best in the class. Can bring people out of their seats. Has to round out his game.

Nice pick for the 8th spot. The kid comes from hockey bloodlines, hopefully he turns out as good as his father was or better.

Apparently Nylander doesn't have a contract for next season and can start with the Marlies right away. Or the Leafs I suppose but yeah...

Jonas Siegel @jonastsn1050
Mark Seidel, chief scout of NACS, says Nylander has "VERY high ceiling". Attitude supposedly a question mark.

Corey Pronman @coreypronman
Nylander had ridiculous second half. Record setting scoring in SHL-2, 20 minutes a night in SHL playoffs, best fwd at U18s.

Mike Zeisberger @zeisberger
Nonis: "We had a cpl ppl but Nylander was at the top of our list ... I wouldn't be shocked if he plays for us next season." #Leafs

Back