• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Gunnarson traded to the Blues for Polak, draft pick

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle · 7m
Leafs acquire Roman Polak for Gunnarsson and a pick. More to come.

Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 · 4m
Polak has two years left on a five-year deal. Cap hit of $2.75 million (per CapGeek).

Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050 · 2m
Polak averaged 17 minutes/game last season with St. Louis, fifth among Blues defenders. Employed in defensive role.

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle · 3m
Trade looks like left shot D for right shot D to me. Always important to Carlyle and Co.

I'm looking for a reason to not hate this.

I especially dislike the fact that it appears at the moment that we gave up a pick with the better defender.

Re: Maple Leafs acquire D Polak from Blues

It's funny cause twitter is blowing up because Gunnarsson is Jesus.

Wait I didn't pay attention enough, the Leafs are giving up a pick as well? Yeah I still don't hate it but I dislike it now. As it is it's probably some cap savings and until/if the Leafs get a replacement for Gunnar for Phaneufs D partner then I'll withhold too much judgement. I like Polak.

@Michael_Traikos: So, to recap, Leafs get a defenceman who is slightly older, slightly cheaper, more physical, and a right-handed shot.

Gunnar hasn't been very good since the hip injury and polak is the big right handed dmen they need. Not great value but it's what they need.

Leafs probably had to kick in a pick to make up the salary difference.

Extraskater:

Gunnarsson has been consistently better than Polak over the last 3 seasons while playing more minutes against tougher competition

Yep. About sums up how I felt about it when I heard

I always worry about guys in Hitchcock's fantastic defensive system. Polak is doing a 180 going to the Leafs.

Gunnar hasn't been very good since the hip injury and polak is the big right handed dmen they need. Not great value but it's what they need.

Polak has been a sheltered #5-6 defender in St Louis. This is a guy who can replace Ranger/Fraser...not a replacement for Gunnarsson. Even a diminished Gunnar with a bad hip.

Gunnar is replaced by Rielly and gardiner not polak. He's a 3rd pair guy on this team now.

Back