• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

We like our team

Well gosh ... clearly they'd just go get some rando guys from the KHL if they traded away every decent player they have on the roster. What else would you do?

Jeez Windy. I get that you're pissed off about the direction of the team but how about easing off on the throttle about 10%

You know things are pretty bad when we're asking Dwind to tone it down! :)

You know things are pretty bad when we're asking Dwind to tone it down! :)

I just don't see the point of a dedicated thread stating how much he thinks things will suck when he adds that same sentiment to EVERY thread. Especially when we start getting glib about the team moving. That's BS and everybody here knows it. So at this point it's time to knock it off and start acting like growed ups.

LaRose apparently wants another go with the Canes. Sounds like Francis is telling him to attend camp, earn his way back onto the Checkers first!

Per Chip in Tweetville!

Tone it down? I thought I was one of the moderates.
In one thread I wrote a nice piece on what peters had to do to get the team in the right direction come training camp.
Basically correcting what each of us saw in the games the last several years.
In another I was thinking Gleason would be a good for for the canes.

Maybe sometimes I forget to put in a ;)

Getting rid of staal will not improve the club nor will getting rid of semin, staal the junior, cward or skinner. These players would have to be replaced. But, with what from where? And would it make the canes better!

I think Dennis is being reasonable and moderate here, tho' he does get carried away sometimes. This is spoken for truth here.

Bah, we all 'love' each other on this board, testy moody and grumpy moments aside ;)

I will say that talking about relocating is an obvious sore point, point of contention etc.. given the history of the team.

Anyways, I've been critical too, more about the non moves than the moves made thus far. However, let em sort it out, we got a new front office. Let's give them a chance and see how they respond a few months into the season before we assume that all the moves being made are "JR status quo" types. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if we have reached out to the likes of Morrow, Volchenkov, Roy and Bertuzzi and simply haven't gotten a bite. Thems the brakes. But once training camp starts, once the season starts... injuries etc... there should be more opportunities with trades. Again, I'm not so sure which direction the club is going (i.e. partial or total rebuild) but it sure seems like partial based on the rhetoric so far. 'we think/feel we have a good club' etc. etc. etc. And as has been pointed out by a few other posters, on paper, our top end talent should be a HELL OF A LOT BETTER. So, let's see what RF, Brindy, Peters and co can muster up for us long suffering Canes fans.

Oh and Welcome to Whaler ville :)

Jeez, the Quebec comments were tongue in cheek. Canes ice a crummy team and miss playoffs over and over. Then bring back crappy players, and on top of it all, Karmanos has the balls to complain about ticket sales! They raise prices, keep bringing a crappy product, and expect fans to dump thousands of dollars into watching mediocrity! This garbage, gets you lumped in with the Panthers and Thrashers of the NHL world....soon to be gone to greener pastures! Just ask any Canadian hockey expert!

Something to think about. Do people attend hockey games for the game itself or:
Socialization with others - tailgate parties, seat mates, roaming the corridors looking for people you know and shooting the bull with them.
Something to do on the long nights - beats sitting at home watching dancing with the stars or whatever drivel is on.
Something to discuss with people you work with the next day
Some thing to bring a date to

I swear football is purely for socialization and something to discuss/argue at work the following day. They've even invented their own words and language - inside the red zone, nickel defense, etc.
Everyone is a Monday morning quarter back and can discuss what they would have done differently if they had been running the team.

Someday hockey will figure this out. They've started with the Corsi numbers. Now they have to bring this to the laymen so it can be argued that certain players should have been in for a given face off at a given moment in time.
Then we can all be Monday morning gms and coaches.

Expansion cash is much greater than relocation cash.
I'd say the canes relocate to the GTO and a new team in Quebec.
That would maximize the income.

You think the folks in GTO would support this bunch? Better to go to Seatle where expectations might not be quite so high and the fans can be high.

The GTO already supports a team very similar to this bunch-- only they wear blue and white and haven't seen the Cup since the year the New Orleans Saints entered the NFL

Gotta admit, took me a minute to figure out WTF the "GTO" was. Think you guys mean GTA...?

To be honest, I thought it was GTA (Greater Toronto Area), but what do I know? I hang out on message boards and repeat misinformation...:smilewinkgrin:

To be honest, I thought it was GTA (Greater Toronto Area), but what do I know? I hang out on message boards and repeat misinformation...:smilewinkgrin:

Hehe. Yeah, it is.

Thought that maybe it was a fun, tongue-in-cheek Canes fan name for us and you were missing an F or something (GTFO).

Gotta admit, took me a minute to figure out WTF the "GTO" was. Think you guys mean GTA...?

Yeah, I knew what it meant and didn't bother to go for the correction. You watch, when Buttman finally does allow a team in the GTA, he'll have it be in the Western Conference.

Yeah, I knew what it meant and didn't bother to go for the correction. You watch, when Buttman finally does allow a team in the GTA, he'll have it be in the Western Conference.

There's a shitload of people in this city that are so Leafs disgruntled that they'd immediately grasp on to any new team in the area. It would be a crazy rivalry if it ever happened.

There's a shitload of people in this city that are so Leafs disgruntled that they'd immediately grasp on to any new team in the area. It would be a crazy rivalry if it ever happened.

And with that, the league should make it so.

Here's the thing with all this "tongue in cheek" stuff. The boneheads who cover this team for the local media aren't bright enough to know you're kidding and they DO look at boards like this to judge the tone of the fans over the course of the team. Ditto people who wander in from other boards. Not that they aren't bright, but rather they don't have the context.

Go ahead and bitch and moan about the team's results and the way they're going about correcting those results. That stuff's fair enough game. But leave the "may as well go ahead and ship them to Quebec" junk at the door unless you're serious ... and then be prepared to defend your position. Any league that would go to the lengths they've gone to protect the franchise in Arizona isn't going to sanction this club moving for a second time ... and the club isn't in the kind of financial jeopardy to even make that a consideration anyway.

The moving was all tic as was mentioned earlier.
I hope the media and canes do get it that the fans are pretty upset with their performance and ticket and merchandise sales are going to suffer. They need to do something above and beyond.
When the canes first moved here they were pretty aloof and listened to nobody in the area as we knew nothing about hockey nor hosting a precessional sports team. They knew it all and we were darn lucky to get them. They expected people to love them and didn't need to return the favor. PK and jr even last spring tried to pull the wool over our eyes by stating that 'our' team would have been going for first place if the two goalies hadn't gotten hurt. Once upon a time this might have washed. No more. We can read the bs from what we see.
So, a question. Since they read the boards they might take suggestions to heart. They need to start listening to fans.

Basically they need to improve the team and improve the fan experience.
And how do they do that realistically?

Basically they need to improve the team and improve the fan experience.
And how do they do that realistically?

A. Fan experience
Looks to me like the front office is at least shaking up the group that is responsible for much of the game day experience. So we'll have to wait and see what comes of changes at Canesvision, et al. The fan experience otherwise is largely defined by how they go about running the ticket office and the information cycle. I dunno, but I'd think Don Waddell will get that dumped on his desk, and I don't think he's done more than occupy an office for more than a week. Again, we're going to have to wait and see.

B. Improving the team
We can either agree or disagree with the concept of keeping the core of the team intact, but either way I think everybody can agree that they've got more to offer than we've seen the last two years.

Otherwise, I like what we've seen from Francis as he's added depth in Raleigh and Charlotte. If you're not shaking up the big contracts, then at least add depth guys who have something different than what we've seen ... and that's what he's done. I can't and won't complain about the lower key moves he's made.

Back