• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2014 - 2015 NHL Season

52 points playing on a 100 point team and constantly playing big minutes with a 39 goal scorer come hell or high water is a "fine season"?

Wow. The standards that Habs fans hold their players to sure has changed.

For what he is, which is a second line center miscast as a #1, all the while getting paid $3.5M, 52 points is a fine season indeed.

Standards to which the fans hold their players vary from each player, unless you think everyone should be held to the same standard.

It boils down to this: do you believe that this team can win a Cup with DD as its #1 centre?

I don't think it can.

Only if Price plays like he did against Bawstun and steals some games. Otherwise, no. Just like Saku, it's not DD's fault he's being used as the #1 center. The organization drafted their #1 center of the future, albeit they rushed him into the league.

But if you can't get a bonafied #1 center at the deadline, you need to get a first line right winger with size for MaxPac/DD.

Only if Price plays like he did against Bawstun and steals some games. Otherwise, no. Just like Saku, it's not DD's fault he's being used as the #1 center. The organization drafted their #1 center of the future, albeit they rushed him into the league.

But if you can't get a bonafied #1 center at the deadline, you need to get a first line right winger with size for MaxPac/DD.

Exactly... of course we'd all love to have someone better than DD... but I'd love to have someone better than Paciretty, Subban and even Price for that matter. I don't get the logic behind wanting to get rid of guys like Desharnais or Koivu back in the day just cause they aren't as good as we'd like. Sure they aren't great 1st line guys but they're excellent 2nd line guys.

That said, if we could trade DD and maybe Tinordi or NB for an Eberle or something like that then I'm all for it.

Habs aren't going to win the #1 centre battle against most teams. The key is Price besting their goalie, the Larshole line outproducing the opponents 3rd line and Pleks shutting down their #1.

Makes what Nill did in Dallas pretty damn impresive...in two years he acquired two number one centers.

Exactly... of course we'd all love to have someone better than DD... but I'd love to have someone better than Paciretty, Subban and even Price for that matter. I don't get the logic behind wanting to get rid of guys like Desharnais or Koivu back in the day just cause they aren't as good as we'd like. Sure they aren't great 1st line guys but they're excellent 2nd line guys.

That said, if we could trade DD and maybe Tinordi or NB for an Eberle or something like that then I'm all for it.

I don't mind moving DD, in fact it's probably something that will need to be done at some point, but I always found it laughable that people here wanted to get rid of Desharnais for nothing. Finding 50 point centers isn't exactly an easy task.

I don't even really think DD is being used as a the #1 centre. I don't think we even have a #1 line to tell you the truth.

We've just kinda assumed that whatever line Pacioretty is on is the number 1 line. However, he's playing with a second line centre and a 3rd line winger.

Our most talented line is probably the Pleks line.

Pacioretty being our best player just makes the DD line "number 1."

Last edited:
Yeah that #1 center thing is a bit ridiculous. Just because he plays with Max doesn't make him the #1 center. He's not the highest paid center on the team nor does he get the most ice time. In fact, Plekanec and DD have exactly the same ice time at even strength. The only place where DD has an edge is that he gets a little more PP time than Plek.

seems like a lot more PP time than Pleks...but I agree, our strength is rolling 3 lines with some punch. That's why we need Eller to be an above average 3rd lner, because our top 2 are average at best compared to the competition we need to beat to advance.

I don't mind moving DD, in fact it's probably something that will need to be done at some point, but I always found it laughable that people here wanted to get rid of Desharnais for nothing. Finding 50 point centers isn't exactly an easy task.

I really don't think many teams will come knocking on your door for undersized centers even if they put up 50 points.

Do you guys consider Sam Gagner to be a notch better than DD or on par?

Because Gagner didn't fetch much trade wise exxept for a third liner

I really don't think many teams will come knocking on your door for undersized centers even if they put up 50 points.

Do you guys consider Sam Gagner to be a notch better than DD or on par?

Because Gagner didn't fetch much trade wise exxept for a third liner

The same Sam Gagner who never hit 50 points once in his career and makes $4.8M per year compared to DD's $3.5M?

Bad comparison. Gagner was traded for Teddy Purcell because his contract is pretty bad. One bad contract for another.

While I agree that if we were to trade DD, the return won't be great, I find the notion of getting rid of him for nothing to be comical.

Makes what Nill did in Dallas pretty damn impresive...in two years he acquired two number one centers.

It's easy when players don't mind going to Dallas....Speeza did not want to play in Canada....as for Seguin, yep he stole him, but Boston was not gonna trade him within the division or conference

Back