• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2014 - 2015 NHL Season

There is a difference between incompetence and actually actively trying to ruin careers. If you want to debate the former, go ahead, you'll get plenty of people on both sides of that fence.

On the other hand, if you truly believe the bullshit you spout about actively trying to ruin careers, then you probably should seek mental help.

It's not that I think he sits up at night trying to find ways to ruin young players. I just think that his decision making process is often motivated by fear. He seems at times to be far too interested in winning a random game today at the expense of possibly winning something meaningful down the road. Tom Gilbert and Mike Weaver do not represent the future. They don't even really represent the present. But Beaulieu and Tinordi do, or at least they could if given a real chance. But they need to be developed and nurtured. Burying them in the minors the minute they commit an error is not the way to do that. But Therrien isn't prepared to live with growing pains or mistakes from young players. But how will they ever learn otherwise? There comes a point at which you simply have nothing more to learn at the minor league level. You eventually have to be thrown into deeper waters. That's never going to happen with Therrien. Not with his defencemen anyway.

I think Mike Richards will bounce back into a number 2 centre if given minutes and not buried in the lineup like he is in Los Angeles.

That said, given the length of that contract, I wouldn't touch him with a 20 foot pole.

Its got 5 more years after this season at a cap hit of $5.75 million. Thats fine for a year or two cause I think he'll bounce back, but he's going to decline with age too, he'll be 30 in February.

Pleks will be pushing 35 by the time his contract finally expires.

Well if Bergy wants King he may have to take Richards too. But he can always turn around and trade Richards to the Leafs. MLSE loves overpriced guys with name recognition.

Bruce Arthur: Darren Dreger, on TSN Drive right now, just said he expects Taylor Hall to be in play between now and the trade deadline.

Not necessarily. The Nordiques traded Lindros and Sundin . . . and got better . . . over time.

Very different deals.

Sundin deal didn't make them better AT ALL.
The Maple Leafs acquired Sundin in a trade on June 28, 1994. The Nordiques sent Sundin, Garth Butcher, Todd Warriner, and a 1994 first-round draft pick (acquired through the 1992 Eric Lindros deal, traded to the Washington Capitals, used to pick Nolan Baumgartner) to the Leafs in exchange for Wendel Clark, Sylvain Lefebvre, Landon Wilson, and a 1994 first-round draft pick (used to pick Jeff Kealty).

The Lindros deal was rare, and he never even played a game when it was made. But man, that may be my all time (non-Hab) favorite deal:
They received in the trade the rights to eventual Hart Trophy winner Peter Forsberg, as well as Ron Hextall, Chris Simon, Mike Ricci, Kerry Huffman, Steve Duchesne, a 1st round selection (Jocelyn Thibault) in 1993, a 1st round selection (later traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs, later traded to the Washington Capitals—Nolan Baumgartner) in 1994, and $15,000,000 cash.

Edmonton is in a place of desperation and everyone knows it, I highly doubt they get anything close to a Lindros-esque deal.

This season is a complete wash now for Edmonton. Because of that I don't think they need to pull the trigger on much now. If the right deal comes along sure, but with the way the season played out for them there is less of a reason to unload young talent now. If the playoffs were in reach maybe, but at this point they will likely hold onto the young talent.

They might as well go for McDavid and see what happens in the offseason.

This season is a complete wash now for Edmonton. Because of that I don't think they need to pull the trigger on much now. If the right deal comes along sure, but with the way the season played out for them there is less of a reason to unload young talent now.

They might as well go for McDavid and see what happens in the offseason.

Speaking of the Lindros deal.... If I am McDavid, I say no thanks to Edmonton!

If Lindros hadn't had those concussion problems, things might have worked out differently for Philly (even with the bush league goaltending).

He was dominant.

That's not to say the Avalanche wouldn't have won the cup, but Philly might have come closer.

If Lindros hadn't had those concussion problems, things might have worked out differently for Philly (even with the bush league goaltending).

He was dominant.

That's not to say the Avalanche wouldn't have won the cup, but Philly might have come closer.

And if Forsberg stayed healthy?

Back