• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Toronto Marlies Thread

Metalleaf

I know we had one of these for the AHL playoffs...but I think the team deserves its own thread, for when news comes out regarding the Marlies. Like the slight AHL division re-alignment.

BsHK145CAAA1Y1l.jpg

If only holland and ashton and holzer stay with the leafs, here's the probable lineup:

Brown - Nylander - Leivo
Abbott - McKegg - Kozun
Herzog - Carrick - Broll
Ross - Rupert - Biggs
(Devane)

Percy - Granberg
Finn - Loov
MacWilliam - Nilsson
(Marshall - Knodel)

Sparks
Gibson

Whcih would be a pretty excellent young team.

Of course, I expect at least one of those forwards and one of those dmen to have a fairly permanent spot on the big club.

Last edited:
If only holland and ashton and holzer stay with the leafs, here's the probable lineup:

Brown - Nylander - Leivo
Abbott - McKegg - Kozun
Herzog - Carrick - Broll
Ross - Rupert - Biggs
(Devane)

Percy - Granberg
Finn - Loov
MacWilliam - Nilsson
(Marshall - Knodel)

Sparks
Gibson

Whcih would be a pretty excellent young team.

Of course, I expect at least one of those forwards and one of those dmen to have a fairly permanent spot on the big club.
1 of Granberg and Percy, with Finn getting an outside shot is expected to be with the Leafs.

I don't expect Franson to still be with the Leafs on opening night, and even if he is, the leafs still need a #7.

The players are starting to come through the system. If you can pull 2-3 good solid 2nd/3rd line NHL players out of guys like Brown, Leivo, Vergaghe, Carrick, Johnson, McKegg, Percy, Granberg, Finn to surround the core of Kessel, JVR, Kadri, Nylander, Rielly, Phaneuf, Gardiner, Bernier you are in good shape.

The Leafs brass seriously believed we have the best coaches.

That's why we retained Carlyle.

That's why we promoted the Marlies coach to be Carlyle's assistant.

That's why we promoted the Marlies assistant to their head coach.

We don't believe, with all the resources we have, all the coaches available out there, that we already have the best available coaches.

THAT, or we're too lazy to interview coaches.

In fairness the Marlies have been a great team and contender year in and out. Those guys have done a good job and earned the promotions.

Just like some of the Marlies players hopefully.

Wonder more and more lately if this is just a "We're not tanking but we're not trying much either" year from Shanny. He gets another 5-10 pick, cans Carlyle, starts afresh. Frustrating with the East being as wide open as it is but if that's his plan, it's at least a plan.

I don't know if its fair to call it not trying, but he has said he's not looking to make big splashes for the sake of it. He is going to be patient.

His goal isn't to take advantage of a weak east in the short term, but rather build a team that can compete in any conference year in and year out and hopefully win a cup.

At this point, I'd actually prefer it if Shanahan was writing off the year.

Because the only other explanation for keeping and extending Carlyle after this past season is extreme stupidity.

At this point, I'd actually prefer it if Shanahan was writing off the year.

Because the only other explanation for keeping and extending Carlyle after this past season is extreme stupidity.

Yeah, this is kinda what I was getting at earlier, I agree.

He's not going to come in like a gunslinger, shooting from the hip at everything he sees, Shanahan needs to get a close look at everything.
Plus it gives him more time to keep his eye out for the right people.

It could be an interesting season where we get to see our young guys make an impact. Another top-10 pick would go a long way to helping this team. Looks like we have a good one in Nylander.

Good thing is that we have a young enough team where we can burn a season to assess the organization top to bottom.

My heart says we make the playoffs, my brain says we struggle with the coaching staff and type of players we have.

Back