• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Chantel Returning

I don't get those that dislike her. I personally think she does a fine job. Yes she is pretty, blah blah blah. ...But the players seem to connect with her. She does ask decent questions and is in the upper tier of "interviewers" in the league if you spend any time on Center Ice. Add to that she is not pretentious like many interviewers. She knows her role, she is not trying to win a Grammy, and make the interview about her. I think she does a fine job.

...not that she needs defending.

Meh ... to me, while she's improved a great deal she's still wooden and unnatural in front of camera. She actually seems to know more about hockey that she projects ... which to me just means that aside from her looks she just lacks camera presence. And for my money, if you're going to go that direction you can at least do it with somebody that has a bigger knowledge base to work with.

I don't know, I think she needs to be taller.
Also, can she wear a BEAR skin and double as ms Stormy.

Oops;)

Last edited:
I have a lot less of a complaint with her planned interviews; she can pull those off well enough. But the locker room interviews, which I care more about, is where she currently needs to step up her game.

That's not a Freudian slip, he just can't spell, after all he is a U of Wisconsin grad. :smilewinkgrin:

Not a Wisconsin grad, sigh, they wouldn't let me in. I had the hockey skills but nothing else - never made it passed 10th grade English.

See I tol' y'all windy cain't spel... si'ned, Allen. But he's mighty right, he and I are very much alike and we've travelled lots of the same paths. I don't have time to grow old but damned if th' years haven't snuck up on me but I garun-dam-tee ya' most folks with 10 or so fewer years are a whole bunch older'n me. Heck, my grandkids and nieces and nephews don't think I'm too stodgy to friend on F'book. Or to hang around with.

But I'm gonna resist sayin', "I'd sure like to see Chantel in a bare skin anything..."

Last edited:
While Chantel's work still requires substantial improvement, at least she (hopefully) has the potential to improve. Ron, as much of a nice guy as he is, has repeatedly demonstrated that he has no such capacity.

How much does that role need to improve? I'm not sure who decides how long the guy walks around with the ref shirt and goofs with Stormy, but he did it pretty well. I just think the org wanted to move away from the "sameness" of that schtick after all this time? Now, I guess it's debatable if they could use him in a different capacity, but I don't think he could (or anyone after this much time) morph into to a non-cheesy version of that gig. I think a clean break (from that role) makes more sense. Again, as far as employment/contributions...that's a different story.

I thought Chantel was pretty horrible for the first few months but she improved greatly over time. I'd rather watch her than Tripp Tracy all day err day.

You think Tripp was worse than Chantel for intermission/post-game interviews? That's certainly one place that I thinkTripp is SO much better (as was Harwood). The ability (or inability) to ask hockey questions in that setting is what makes them useful. It's hard enough to get non-cliche answers (varies from player to player) but if you're gonna ask generic/cliche questions that's what you'll get back.

Anyway, JB covers my opinion (except I don't attend anymore so I see all the games on TV).

You think Tripp was worse than Chantel for intermission/post-game interviews? That's certainly one place that I thinkTripp is SO much better (as was Harwood). The ability (or inability) to ask hockey questions in that setting is what makes them useful. It's hard enough to get non-cliche answers (varies from player to player) but if you're gonna ask generic/cliche questions that's what you'll get back.

+1

I get why the Hurricanes hired her- young, cheap and attractive. I get that she is on a learning curve. She's improving. However, she does not think well on her feet and her questions/interviews are perfect for getting bland, insipid responses. My big issue with her work- it's her demeanor. She has the tendency to be inappropriate with her interview subjects and that crosses a professional boundary for me-- anyone recall her interview with Muller and calling him "Kirkie?" That seemed to catch him off guard. There was also her interview with Murphy and ripping the cap of his head to show his new haircut-- that was a flirty girl move to me.

How much does that role need to improve? I'm not sure who decides how long the guy walks around with the ref shirt and goofs with Stormy, but he did it pretty well. I just think the org wanted to move away from the "sameness" of that schtick after all this time? Now, I guess it's debatable if they could use him in a different capacity, but I don't think he could (or anyone after this much time) morph into to a non-cheesy version of that gig. I think a clean break (from that role) makes more sense. Again, as far as employment/contributions...that's a different story.

Anyway, JB covers my opinion (except I don't attend anymore so I see all the games on TV).

I hear what you're saying but like I said before, if I have to listen to one of them, I'd rather it be a pretty girl instead of a complete tool shed. But hey, I'm just a regular guy and I've never figured out how to appreciate Tripp Tracey. His insight might be better but it grates my nerves none the less.

I hear what you're saying but like I said before, if I have to listen to one of them, I'd rather it be a pretty girl instead of a complete tool shed. But hey, I'm just a regular guy and I've never figured out how to appreciate Tripp Tracey. His insight might be better but it grates my nerves none the less.

If you have to listen to one of them, what does appearance matter?

Back