• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The 2015 NHL Draft - June 26 & 27

Re: The 2015 NHL Draft

We should stay away from players that have skating issues. The Habs play a speed game and the slow-footed need not apply.

Speed *hurr durr hurr*.

I stand by adam erne as bpa in 2013. 23 goals in 26 playoff games now
As I said before, the kid picked just after him at 26 not bad option neither.
Bob Mackenzie did guess McCarron might be chosen by Habs just before Timmins made the call.

As I said before, the kid picked just after him at 26 not bad option neither.
Bob Mackenzie did guess McCarron might be chosen by Habs just before Timmins made the call.

easy to say that in retrospect

Not this season, he didn't. He will be there next year, though.

Me and Habsy actually saw him play....

That 10 second video that present every prospect....you're right, his size and speed was too much to pass

Me and Habsy actually saw him play....

That 10 second video that present every prospect....you're right, his size and speed was too much to pass

you could tell in 10 seconds? yeah right,,,,

I could show you 10 second of Leblanc as a junior and make everyone hard.

Gpx and I were tweeting last night that we don't really understand what happened to Leblanc. I saw him play here in our disaster season of 2011-2012 and he looked great. He made an awesome play along the boards, fought off a Cannot and passed it to Blake Geoffrion

[video=youtube;EhccoBG0_A0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhccoBG0_A0[/video]

he lost the desire I guess

Not this season, he didn't. He will be there next year, though.

Boeser looks like a nice option, of course BPA always seems like smartest way to go.

(unless of course, if prospect is 6'6" 235lb)

Last edited:

How are we winning without the Leblanc-Staubitz-Geoffrion line?

Last edited:

you could tell in 10 seconds? yeah right,,,,

I could show you 10 second of Leblanc as a junior and make everyone hard.

Gpx and I were tweeting last night that we don't really understand what happened to Leblanc. I saw him play here in our disaster season of 2011-2012 and he looked great. He made an awesome play along the boards, fought off a Cannot and passed it to Blake Geoffrion

[video=youtube;EhccoBG0_A0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhccoBG0_A0[/video]

he lost the desire I guess

(Shit, I ended up writing an essay again...)

Yeah, Louis Leblanc is one of those weird cases. I still don't know exactly what happened and I'm not sure we ever will unless someone from the Bulldogs decides to start a tell all book.

Like I was telling you, my working theory on Leblanc is that he was always a player who took the easy road while being king of a small pond and when the going got tough, he sunk. He was one of the best players of his age group in Midget AAA, decided not to go to the Q with his peers and had one of the best Midget AAA seasons in the history of the league because he was a year older than all of the best prospects. Big fish, small pond. If he had decided to go the Q route, he would have been the #1 overall pick in his draft because he was seen as the top Québécois & Maritimes prospect of that draft class. He had decided to go to College instead of the NCAA, okay, fine. I don't have a problem with taking the college route over the CHL route. My problem is, if you're a top prospect - or at the very least, a prospect with real enough NHL potential to be a first round pick - you don't go to a university like Harvard. I'm sorry, but you just don't. You go to Boston College, Boston University, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Miami, Michigan. Those are most of the top college programs in the NCAA. Top prospects don't go to Harvard. You look at the history of players who played a game in the NHL that came from Harvard, the majority were longshots to ever make it & they spent their four full years there and graduated. Again, big fish in a small pond.

Then he decides to go to the Q after only a full year in Harvard to be what would be his twenty year old season. Another example of him going the easy road. Playing in the CHL as a 19-20 year old is a lot easier than playing it when you're 16-17. I watched him a good amount during that year and while east coast wasn't a big fan, I didn't think he was half bad. His offensive game wasn't great and even in games where he did have big numbers, those numbers weren't as much reflective of his play as much as they were a poor reflection of the other team's play. There was a game in particular where he had a 5 point night, 3g 2a, and it was the most unimpressive 5 points that I could recall. All three goals were terrible that went through the goalie, only one was partially screened, and his assists were routine plays that weren't anything of note. Passed it to an open player, wrists it, touches someone in front & it went in.

So the year after, he's playing in Hamilton and is doing really well. Really nothing to complain about. Comes to the NHL and holds his own. Cool, nice to see. But it was in a terrible season with no expectations and no accountability, there was no pressure on him. And even then, had there been no lockout in the following season, it's safe to say he would have started the year on the Habs. And this is where it gets weird. In his second pro season, he started in the AHL because of the lockout and played the first two games. Had 3 points and looked like he was right on track to trot back to the Habs lineup, but he got a high ankle sprain in midpoint in the second game when he was in a fight with a Toronto Marlies player (Carter Ashton?) and fell down awkwardly. And when he was came back from that injury, he was never the same. This is the part where I wish I had more information because a high ankle sprain isn't a nothing injury, but it's not a career changing injury. Were there off the ice problems (alcohol/drugs/partying?) that were never heard about? Did he have conditioning issues? I doubt it because when he tried out for Canada's WJC team, he was the best conditioned player there. Was he just sulking because he went from making NHL money to AHL money, basically 1/10th of his salary from the previous year? We'll likely never know, but this is the exact point where things went down the gutter for Leblanc. Whatever happened between the moment he got hurt & when he came back is probably what ruined him. I optimistically thought that like some other reported athlete injuries, that it was because he wasn't able to recover from the high ankle spain during the reason & that come next training camp, he'd be as good as new and ready to kick ass, but that wasn't the case.

And then there were reports that he & Lefebvre weren't getting along well and that Leblanc was being treated like crap, almost like Lefebvre was making it personal. I've never had a problem with this rumor because players will get yelled at by coaches at every level and if they can't take it, then I'm sorry but that's on the player. Let's assume that the report was true & he was berated by Lefebvre constantly... What do you think a player like Brendan Gallagher would have done? A player like Gallagher would have told Lefebvre to go **** himself and would have played even harder just to prove a point. Leblanc, though, was no longer the biggest fish in the pond and there was no more easy way out of this predicament. When the going gets tough, the tough get going. I think Leblanc was never able to overcome it after finding years of shortcuts and easy ways out.

Finally there were reports that going to Harvard was his mother's idea and that his heart may or may not have ever been into it. rouah & deandebean would know a lot more about that than me. If that's the case, then it would probably explain a lot. You can't become a pro athlete in modern times if it isn't the most important thing in your life next to your family unless you're supremely talented, and even then you'll be hard-pressed. It takes an almost maniacal resolve to want to get better, to want to get in shape and to keep improving mentally & physically to make it and then it's even tougher to stick around once the players have made it with younger kids nipping at their heels. If Leblanc never had that resolve, it would explain a lot.

tl;dr: Leblanc's a bust and I thought he'd be better.

Lefebvre needs to adjust his coaching ways...I don't think our prospects have gotten better under him.

Back