• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hurricanes Logo

I think the University of Miami's mascot-- the seagull or pelican-- works better for team named the Hurricanes. But I can't say the last time I saw a pelican or gull in Raleigh. Given our play over the past 10 years, we're better off with a pig.

Miami's mascot is an Ibis. Significant in that it's a bird that is by tradition the last of the sea water fowl to leave the area ahead of a hurricane. I have always really liked that symbolism.

And also ... if you want to see seagulls, just go to any city trash dump and you'll find them by the thousands.

As for colors... I would go with the black and silver/grey themes, keeping the red for some accents here and there (on the road version anyway). The home would look great with the same colors as the current 3rd jersey, but with the logo as described above.

Yeah ... I'll go ahead and jump in here with the info that the Hurricanes actually have a written commitment to use Red as a primary color. It's part of the three part use agreement for the arena with NC State. Complain all you want, if you want ... it means something to State folks and they paid for a goodly chunk of the building.

Officially, I believe that Stormy is an "ice hog" instead of a pig.

Maybe he should have been identified as a "puck hog" instead. :sarcasm

Sadly, we already have one of those. Unfortuneately, he's also the captain.

Totally agree the Hurricane name was a great choice, but the logo should have been the double red flag Hurricane Warning flag with tattered edges attached to an in the process of snapping in half hockey stick.

Yeah ... I'll go ahead and jump in here with the info that the Hurricanes actually have a written commitment to use Red as a primary color. It's part of the three part use agreement for the arena with NC State. Complain all you want, if you want ... it means something to State folks and they paid for a goodly chunk of the building.

Well no point complaining. Contracts a contract. Thanks for lending context and specifics as to why (the red).

I think the University of Miami's mascot-- the seagull or pelican-- works better for team named the Hurricanes. But I can't say the last time I saw a pelican or gull in Raleigh. Given our play over the past 10 years, we're better off with a pig.

Plenty of gulls around Raleigh. You just have to know where to look.

Pardon my lateness as I've been on vacation, but I see nothing wrong with a logo for a Carolina Hurricanes Hockey team that contains an outer ring of interlocking black and red "C"'s for Carolina, inside of that a white meteorological symbol for Hurricane, and inside of that a Hockey puck-shape.

Isn't this the same hockey media that slurps all over the Whalers logo because ooooooh, it has an "H" in there?

Meh, I just wish our team was as good as the logo.

Pardon my lateness as I've been on vacation, but I see nothing wrong with a logo for a Carolina Hurricanes Hockey team that contains an outer ring of interlocking black and red "C"'s for Carolina, inside of that a white meteorological symbol for Hurricane, and inside of that a Hockey puck-shape.

those are "C"s??? Never saw that before...and still kinda don't. Is that an official explanation of our logo design?

Whalers logo, especially the crest they used in the dying years still is one of the most clever ever designed. Tip its over it was the B for Binghamton, home of the AHL affiliate for a number of years. I'm sure I'm biased but I loved everything about that logo and still think its one of the most simply brilliant logos in the history of the league. W for Whalers, H for Hartford, the Whale tail? multi-purpose for the Binghamton affiliate? I liked the later Whalers logo with the silver over the original 'no background' crest. That was introduced when they mothballed the classic green away uniforms for dark blue. Personally I liked the dark blue roadies, but I know a lot of people missed the classic green and didn't like the sliver crest background.

Similar to the Canes and the current logo, if the Whalers were a good team the logo wouldn't have been panned so badly.

Last edited:
Yeah ... if memory serves the traditional hockey media freaking hated that logo back when the Whale joined the NHL.

Yup, back when it was supposedly fun to dump on them.

Bottom line, as mentioned by others earlier, win and it looks a whole lot better.

(oh and cmal, I'm not dumping on HW by mentioning, just pointing out the hypocrisy of some who have done so on ours).

Last edited:
Whalers logo, especially the crest they used in the dying years still is one of the most clever ever designed. Tip its over it was the B for Binghamton, home of the AHL affiliate for a number of years. I'm sure I'm biased but I loved everything about that logo and still think its one of the most simply brilliant logos in the history of the league. W for Whalers, H for Hartford, the Whale tail? multi-purpose for the Binghamton affiliate? I liked the later Whalers logo with the silver over the original 'no background' crest. That was introduced when they mothballed the classic green away uniforms for dark blue. Personally I liked the dark blue roadies, but I know a lot of people missed the classic green and didn't like the sliver crest background.

Similar to the Canes and the current logo, if the Whalers were a good team the logo wouldn't have been panned so badly.

Interestingly, I find that many Habs fans that remember the Whale (age range here)... always express how much they liked the logo, the H in the W, always bring up brass bonanza too.

For the record, I always really liked the Whale fluke logo. I just remember that franchise taking flak from the non-Hartford media over virtually everything.

Playing in the Hartford Civic Center which at the time was attached to a Mall (a rapidly dying mall by the time the Whalers left, the mall is gone now), mostly crappy teams, caught in the middle of NY and Boston, it was a bad combination of things that made the Whalers open for media led assaults about everything Whalers. But we loved our Whalers for sure.

Its been rough watching the Canes go from Cup winner to effectively the Whalers out there. Missing playoffs consistantly, eroding season ticket holder base.... I don't need a Cup winner every year but for crying out loud don't let this franchise fall apart due to extensive suckage that kills attendance and interest. The reality of NHL pricing isn't helping the situation either. This is yet another critical moment in this franchise's timeline, Ronnie has to get this ship righted.

The Whalers logo is one of the classiest in any sport, period. Nice color scheme, too. It just works.

The Whalers logo is one of the classiest in any sport, period. Nice color scheme, too. It just works.

Indeed. And put me down as preferring the green look over the blue. or the one with the silver crest. they were good too. but green really was the whale for me.

I started reading the Rankings, and didn't make it past the first two... I felt like I was reading a retread of a 1990's article. Heck, they even linked to Chris Creamer's website. (Not that I have anything against Chris.)

I see nothing wrong with the jersey, logos, or colors. Sure they are some sharper ones in the league but by no means do I think ugly when I see the Canes stuff. I also like the commitment to stick with same colors of other main area teams (which in this case is NC State). I like the city's that do this among pro sports teams and find it odd that it isn't done more. Gives consistency across everything and looks better in long run, especially for shared facilities.

Only thing I ever questioned back in the day was the name Hurricanes as Raleigh isn't exactly coastal.....the Canes have bigger issues than this to focus on.

Back