• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Draft Lottery 2 - The Final Poll-Down

How many Teams should be in the Draft Lottery?

Votes: 7 33.3%

Votes: 14 66.7%

• Total voters

axlsalinger

We need to set the # of teams in the draft lottery in stone. We have two leading options, 5 teams or 8 teams. If you prefer a number other than these two, please explain your reasoning in a 1000-word essay, typed and double spaced.

Last edited:
Voted for 8, however if we do decide to change it, would like to wait until the NHL changes it (so not this year).

Voted for 8, however if we do decide to change it, would like to wait until the NHL changes it (so not this year).

I agree, although seeing Jonas having a meltdown if we change it this year would be entertaining. Either way I'm good.

I voted 5, though am fine with 8 under the provision that yeah, we wait until the NHL makes their change.

Just thinking out loud, but if there is an 8 team lottery we can do a 12 team playoffs where the top 4 seeds get first round byes.

No. Just have essentially a four round playoff hockey pool at the end of the season that follows an NHL format. E.g 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15 winner goes on to the next round.

Regular season championship is still king. But it gets more people involved each season and de-incentives tanking even further if there is a reason to finish 11th or 12th.

Forgive me if I'm missing something... but isn't "1 vs 16, 2 vs 15 winner goes on to the next round" by definition "head to head?"

Is there a way to reset the point totals at the end of the regular season so that its a clean slate for the playoffs?

If so we could keep the same prize format for the regular season and have a seperate fee for teams that qualify for the playoffs each year

Forgive me if I'm missing something... but isn't "1 vs 16, 2 vs 15 winner goes on to the next round" by definition "head to head?"

Yeah, but just for a playoff pool at the end. Not changing anything about the league or the season. Regular season winner still takes the money.

Is there a way to reset the point totals at the end of the regular season so that its a clean slate for the playoffs?

If so we could keep the same prize format for the regular season and have a seperate fee for teams that qualify for the playoffs each year

It would be fun to have an extra pool for the playoffs. $5 each... drop the roster size down to say 6 forwards, 4 dmen and 1 goalie... most points take all.

Yeah, but just for a playoff pool at the end. Not changing anything about the league or the season. Regular season winner still takes the money.

Ahhhhhhh... so I was missing something. My bad, I totally missed the "playoff" part. I didn't realize you mean NHL playoffs... I though you meant a playoff format for us, that would happen over the last few weeks of the season.

Sorry.

Lets make it 10 bucks each and winner take all.

I guess it's something that everyone doesn't have to enter... but the decision would have to be made prior to the season starting. I'd be cool with $10.

And I really think the roster size would have to be dropped down for the playoffs to account for a lot of players not getting to the playoffs.

Here is what the NHL is doing:

Those changes would reportedly reduce the last-placed team in the league’s odds of nabbing the first pick from ’25% to about 19 or 20%’. However, the first pick would still be the only pick available in the lottery, at least in 2015. Once a team wins that pick, the records slot in order from there. So if the Buffalo Sabres are as bad in 2014-15 as they were last year — which is to say 30th in a league of 30 — they would be guaranteed a top two pick.

That’s not going to be the case for long though. Per the report, the 2016 draft lottery could see as many as three picks available in the lottery.

So the odds are changing for 2015, but still only one pick is determined by the lottery.

Back