• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Golf

Leafyblue

So, how is everyone playing this year? I stink, but you know, whatever. For the first time in my life I had clubs built for me. I have to say it makes a huge difference. Proper grip size, balance and weight, shaft flex and length to match my swing speed etc etc..I've gained a lot of yardage and accuracy. I'm hoping to not stink before the snow flies. :smile(21): It wasn't that expensive either...a grand for the full set. Anybody else done this?

I've only gotten out once so far.

Yeah, the proper clubs make a massive difference. spent a ton on a driver made for me and I'm killing the ball.

Not good, not great. Shot a 90 yesterday evening.

Sadly I haven't been able to get back to my mid-low 80's pace I was at last year before I smashed up my ankle. Not playing for 9 months will set anyone back.

Just gotta avoid those blow ups...

Yeah, I played 9 last night...started out birdie par birdie then 7 and then 11. Ended up with 52, so there were some good shots in between the bad ones. It is difficult to play well when you only get out 1 1/2 times a week. Fun though. :)

Played in a bunch of scrambles, but only played my own ball 3 times this year. Wedge game/short game is an utter disaster right now.

My friend's dad just got custom fitted. He's retired and hardcore...you can see the 6th hole at Nottawasaga from his deck. He was raving about them last week.
He paid more than a grand for sure, but he talked about them half the night lol, so he was happy.

The set I had made were Maltby KE4's...so not an expensive set. The heads on the irons were only 25 bucks each. Woods were 100 each. I didn't go crazy.

He's got the money, one of the best things is he handed down his old clubs to his son, and we're both lefties so we have ourselves better clubs than either of us have ever had.
It's the custom fitting that makes it great, no matter what you're spending.

I rarely golf, though I bought my son a set so he's been going more which means I guess I have to get better than him.

Shot an 87, breaking 90 for the first time in my life two weeks ago. So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Cork any favorite courses around Ottawa? Been playing Gatineau Golf Club a decent amount, played The Canadian, Anderson Links, playing Emerald Links on Wednesday.

Gatineau is a great course. 1/2 price on weekdays after 2pm. I played Friday afternoon with a cart for $25 dollars. Can't go wrong.

Also play alot of Stonebridge after 3pm. $35 or $40 bucks for what would be considered private course quality.

Lucky - this week I'm playing two privates.

At best I shoot mid 80s.

But I am improving....have been taking golf serious for 3 or so years now.

Driver needs the most work (I am accurate but do not hit it very far).

Have bought pretty much all new clubs this year (just have my old wedges).

Got fit for driver, and irons. Cobra bio cell. Plus bought an extremely overpriced putter.

I pretty much have the short game...lets say 150 an in of a 10 handicap and the long game of a 25 handicap

(currently a 16.1)

Gatineau is a great course. 1/2 price on weekdays after 2pm. I played Friday afternoon with a cart for $25 dollars. Can't go wrong.

Also play alot of Stonebridge after 3pm. $35 or $40 bucks for what would be considered private course quality.

Lucky - this week I'm playing two privates.

Yeah Club du Golf Gatineau is pretty underrated amongst some of my golfer friends in Ottawa, 7200 yards from the tips. But how did you get in for $25? Been more like $71 with half a cart for me on weekends.

Are you familiar with Executive golf's last minute club? $89 for the season, and can save you 20-45$ per round, easily pays for itself within a few rounds.

http://www.executivegolf.ca/packages/index.shtml

Play in the weekday afternoons. I got out at 430pm on Friday and it was $25. I'm also friends with the head pro, Marty. Great guy.

I do know those deals, but I normally like to plan my times. Plus, if you just do alittle research you can find some pretty sweet deals. I played 54 holes this weekend (less a few on friday when it got dark) and paid a total of $110. Gotta pick your times.

Just say no to power carts.

Oh I agree...but I joined Monterra and they frown upon walking, since it's a resort and they want you around as fast as you can go. They don't even have pull carts available. It's been a while since I carried. In the fall it would be ok, but when it's 29 and humid...no thanks. Plus, the carts have GPS....not that it helps my game any. :)

Back