• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2014-15 Premier League Thread

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The season gets underway on Saturday. NBC Sports is in the 2nd year of a 3 year deal to carry the league in the US. On some cable systems, NBC has overflow channels in the event of simultaneous games. All games are also streamed live on the NBC Sports Live Extra app for iOS and Android devices. That is subject to cable company participation.

All times Eastern US time zone:

Saturday:
Man U v. Swansea 7:45 NBCSN
Leicester v. Everton 10:00 NBCSN
West Ham v. Spurs 10:00
QPR v. Hull 10:00
Stoke v. Aston Villa 10:00
West Brom v. Sunderland 10:00
Arsenal v. Crystal Palace 12:30 NBC

Sunday:
Liverpool v. Southampton 8:30 NBCSN
Newcastle v. Man City 11:00 NBCSN

Monday:
Burnley v. Chelsea 3:00 NBCSN

Loved this promo staring David Harewood ("Homeland") on the Prem's site

[video]http://bcove.me/a18uv81m[/video]

Just hover over the video, then watch full screen. GREAT two-minute promo for the upcoming season.

NBCSN has another "Ted Lasso" spot out there for this season starring Jason Sudekis. Just about as funny as last year's .... my Bradley Mini Cooper .... ha.

Man U 1-2 Swansea
Leicester 2-2 Everton
QPR 0-1 Hull
Stoke 0-1 Aston Villa
West Brom 2-2 Sunderland
West Ham 0-1 Spurs
Arsenal 2-1 Crystal Palace

Man U loses a league opener at home for the first time since 1972. They looked awful doing it too. RVP was out so out of favor forward Chicharito got the start next to Rooney in the 3-4-1-2 that van Gaal started in. Showing the lack of depth, 2 Academy graduates made their senior debuts, with 20 year old Tyler Blackett starting at left back in place of the injured Luke Shaw. Arsenal got a 2nd half stoppage time goal for the win and prevent another EPL oddity; they were the only home side to win. Had they tied, it would have been the first time since 1994 that a match day with more than 5 matches saw no home teams win.

I have no idea why the ref in the ManU game let it go more nearly two minutes beyond designated stoppage, other than to perpetuate paranoia.

Villa gets the campaign off to a cracking start ... read boring start ... with a 1-0 road win at Stoke. Seriously ... neither side covered themselves in glory. Ugly win, really. Andi Weimann with a nice, determined finish for the winner though. Good play by him. Villa went with a revamped back line featuring Senderos and Vlaar in the middle with Cissokho and Hutton on the flanks. Yes, Hutton. I was surprised. Nzogbia was on a wing and Bent was back on the bench as well, as Lambert seems to willing to allow all his prodigals to return.

Either way ... first road win in the league since January, so take it and run

Yesterday's results aren't posted, so...

Liverpool 2-1 Southampton
Manchester City 2-0 Newcastle

Reports of Southampton's demise were egregiously exaggerated. Squad will ultimately fail to finish in European spots because of depth issues but man, those lads came to play. They matched the quality of my Reds after our first goal. Dusan Tadic, brought in from FC Twente, was the MOTM, IMO. As the match wore on you could tell he was increasingly comfortable playing at that level, against our club. He and Ryan Bertrand (another who made an excellent debut) were particularly troublesome marauding down the left. Funny, too, because I though young newboy Javier Manquillo played pretty well for us, for a 20-year-old debutant.
Throw in players like Victor Wanyama (another standout yesterday), James Ward-Prouse, Nathaniel Clyne (what a spectacular finish for the Saints' goal), Fraser Forster and wantaway Morgan Schneiderlin, together with a fit Jay Rodriguez, and this team will compete hard each week. Plus they have Ronald Koeman as manager, no slouch he. A top 10 finish is certainly not out of the question.

Missed the City match but understand they were a class above Newcastle and looked ready to maintain control of the Prem title race.

Southampton built some serious confidence momentum last season with the way they maintained their poise and their attacking pressure. That will take awhile to erode.

And for right now, Chelsea are finishing off the kickoff weekend by walking the dog with Burnley. 3-1 and it's not even half time. Schurrle and Costa both opening their accounts quickly.

^^^ And that was the final.

Good first week-end for Manchester City and Chelsea (albeit in Chelsea's case, against a Burnley team most frequently picked by pundits to get relegated), OK for Liverpool and Arsenal, and not so much for the other contenders.

Next week's fixture list is highlighted by the Monday night match-up between last year's top two. Will be the first test of Liverpool's title-contending chances.

Sat 23 Aug 2014 - Premier League
  • Aston Villa v Newcastle 12:45
  • Chelsea v Leicester 15:00
  • Crystal Palace v West Ham 15:00
  • Southampton v West Brom 15:00
  • Swansea v Burnley 15:00
  • Everton v Arsenal 17:30

Sun 24 Aug 2014 - Premier League
  • Hull v Stoke 13:30
  • Tottenham v QPR 13:30
  • Sunderland v Man Utd 16:00

Mon 25 Aug 2014 - Premier League
  • Man City v Liverpool 20:00

Chelsea looked really good last night.

They are such a big physical side as well, they should score a load of set-piece goals during the season.

Everton vs Arsenal should be interesting also. Two teams desperate for a good start.

That gets the full NBC treatment too. We'll see how Arsenal comes out of tonight's UCL match. At some point, he has to bring the Germans back into the squad; they didn't travel to Turkey.

Match week 2

Saturday:
Aston Villa v. Newcastle 7:45 NBCSN
Chelsea v. Leicester City 10:00 NBCSN
Crystal Palace v. West Ham 10:00
Southampton v. West Brom 10:00
Swansea v. Burnley 10:00
Everton v. Arsenal 12:30 NBC

Sunday:
Spurs v. QPR 8:30 CNBC
Hull v. stoke 8:30
Sunderland v. Man U 10:00 NBCSN

Monday:
Man City v. Liverpool 3:00 NBCSN

For those tracking such things, Balotelli will not be available for LFC in the match with City on Monday. I understand he's only just agreed to terms and his supposed to have a physical today.

^^^Saw that. Oh well. Would have made for a great subplot to that match.

Wondering why Andy posted the full schedule that I'd posted earlier, unless it was for the purposes of showing the U.S. broadcast of matches. :p

The other match, of course, I'm looking forward to is Everton/Arsenal. They are the two teams I pegged battling it out for the last CL spot. Want to see how their early season collision plays out.

Wondering why Andy posted the full schedule that I'd posted earlier, unless it was for the purposes of showing the U.S. broadcast of matches. :p

Because I'm a dope with short term memory issues. I even commented on your post in a manner of speaking, noting that Everton v. Arsenal was on NBC.

Results from today

Aston Villa 0 - 0 Newcastle
Chelsea 2 - 0 Leicester
Crystal Palace 1 - 3 West Ham
Southampton 0 - 0 West Brom
Swansea 1 - 0 Burnley
Everton 2 - 2 Arsenal

Everton controlled that match for most of the first 80 minutes, then ... BOOM! Aaron Ramsey strikes in the 83rd minute, then lofts a poor ball across the box that Nacho Monreal tracks down. Monreal whips in a brilliant cross that Olivier Giroux meets with a neat little header and, five minutes later, Everton drops points again.

Boy do Villa look hapless. This is gonna be a rough season unless something changes. When can we get 2012--2013 Benteke back again?

I only saw the 2nd half but I'm hard pressed to believe that Villa had 40% possession that the stats indicate. Only 1 shot on goal in 2 games? That's a problem.

Back