• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Tanking Solution (MLB)

Montana

Champion
Actually maybe that's a simple solution.....any team out of the playoffs, who has a injured player in an active slot or a minor leaguer in an active slot (or whatever we deem to be illegal tanking) get X points added to their yearly point total....2nd offence more points, third offence even more points.

With the points added being on the high end of what said position might produce in a given week. (1st offence 15 points per infraction, 2nd offence 20 pts, 3rd 25, etc)...

That way cheating is not only discouraged, but the system actually has the reverse impact one who is trying to tank would hope for.....and most importantly imo, only the offending team is negatively impacted.

Last edited:
Re: Fantasy Baseball Rules Changes & Deadlines

Actually maybe that's a simple solution.....any team out of the playoffs, who has a injured player in an active slot or a minor leaguer in an active slot (or whatever we deem to be illegal tanking) get X points added to their yearly point total....2nd offence more points, third offence even more points.

With the points added being on the high end of what said position might produce in a given week. (1st offence 15 points per infraction, 2nd offence 20 pts, 3rd 25, etc)...

That way cheating is not only not encouraged, the system actually has the reverse impact one would hope for.....and most importantly imo, only the offending team is negatively impacted.

ChHNZ.gif

Wow... so simple but it seems perfect. How did it take 3 years for this suggestion to be made?

That way cheating is not only discouraged, but the system actually has the reverse impact one who is trying to tank would hope for.....and most importantly imo, only the offending team is negatively impacted.

Yeah, I could get behind that as long as the penalty stung enough.

Yeah, I could get behind that as long as the penalty stung enough.

Yeah... if we figure out what the average starting bat, the average SP and RP's get in a normal week and make that the penalty for the first offense. Then the top tier guys get for the second offense... then the 3rd, 4th, 5th offenses can just jump another 10 points per week.

Yeah... if we figure out what the average starting bat, the average SP and RP's get in a normal week and make that the penalty for the first offense. Then the top tier guys get for the second offense... then the 3rd, 4th, 5th offenses can just jump another 10 points per week.

Yeah, and apply the penalty per infraction. So if an owner has 3-4 slots with clear infractions, that's 3-4 penalties.

Take every team that doesn't finish in the money and equalize them to X starts

I do think something like this needs to be done for pitching.....because my idea works great for people benching players or using minor league guys in active slots.....but the one remaining loophole I see is that teams can intentionally lay-it up, when it comes to their starts on the year (bench a two start SP for a one start SP, drop X points, etc)....

Yeah, and apply the penalty per infraction. So if an owner has 3-4 slots with clear infractions, that's 3-4 penalties.

Oh yeah for sure... and escalating such as I suggested.

On second thought though I don't think we can necessarily punish SPs the same way. When it comes to starting pitchers we have to set a minimum amount of starts... and every start a team comes up short of that mark they will get say 9 points added to their point total... hell maybe 10 points.

Oh yeah for sure... and escalating such as I suggested.

On second thought though I don't think we can necessarily punish SPs the same way. When it comes to starting pitchers we have to set a minimum amount of starts... and every start a team comes up short of that mark they will get say 9 points added to their point total... hell maybe 10 points.

We could do what I mentioned for hitters, and RP....and for SP we simply take teams total # of starts, subtract it from the 170 limit.....then multiply each start they're short by 9 or 10 or whatever we decide on.

Then bottom teams not only need to remain active, they have to work on actually hitting their SP GP limits just like top teams.

I'm going to move all these posts to a separate thread so everyone can read it and chime in. I can't imagine everyone not loving it.

Re: The Tanking Solution?

It's a good idea. I think we want to try to keep things as simple as possible. It's not a huge deal necessarily if players have an injured guy in the lineup for an extra week cause they got super-busy or didn't notice it or whatever. I have already said teams have an extra week to deal with IR guys. Perhaps it's too much to ask that people not abuse that rule though. I am still trying to figure out how Jonas's team has played for 2.5 months without a catcher. That must make for some very long games.

I guess my idea of firing Jonas out of a cannon would be too harsh?

Why not say that we can cut people some slack on any changes to a player's status for the upcoming week that happens after Saturday at 6pm EST.

That means that everyone has at least 48 hours to react to any sort of status changes.

or we just take every team out of the money and put them in a lottery to completely remove the benefit to tanking. In the money or chance for a good draft pick.

The argument that teams need to build through the draft so we need to keep the draft order intact is pretty meh IMO.

As a bonus, it's super easy to implement.

or we just take every team out of the money and put them in a lottery to completely remove the benefit to tanking. In the money or chance for a good draft pick.

That doesn't work at all......because we want the genuinely bad teams to get the top pick.......setting up a system where the team finishing 4th can get the top pick in the draft really doesn't help in any meaningful way, other than allowing the rich to get richer.

Allowing good/great teams to have a shot at a top pick isn't a solution at all, imo.

Speaking of "playoffs" (ie- teams who finish in the money) I think we should consider working towards ultimately matching what we do in our hockey league, where we pay a little bit more per season, but the top 6 teams get a $$$ prize, instead of just the top 3.

I think having teams in that 8-4 range all looking to fight to the finish to either win money or improve their place in the standings to get more money, is better than only paying out top 3, and this having teams 4-10 or whatever all selling pre-deadline.

More teams looking to improve/win = more of a market for lesser teams to sell their players to and improve their potential returns and chances to win longterm.

/2 cents.

Speaking of "playoffs" (ie- teams who finish in the money) I think we should consider working towards ultimately matching what we do in our hockey league, where we pay a little bit more per season, but the top 6 teams get a $$$ prize, instead of just the top 3.

I think having teams in that 8-4 range all looking to fight to the finish to either win money or improve their place in the standings to get more money, is better than only paying out top 3, and this having teams 4-10 or whatever all selling pre-deadline.

More teams looking to improve/win = more of a market for lesser teams to sell their players to and improve their potential returns and chances to win longterm.

/2 cents.

Current payout structure is...

After Fantrax Premium is paid for, remaining pot is paid out as following:

Prizes:
70% for Winner ($350)
20% for 2nd ($100)
10% for 3rd ($50)

....but I think it would work better if it was something like hockey....

Entry Fee: $40
2014-15 Results

1 - $450 (AGD)
2 - $175 (MINDZ)
3 - $85 (BLUEMAN)
4 - FREE ENTRY (FERGY)
5 - FREE ENTRY (BG)

Maybe something like...

1 - $400
2 - $150
3 - $80
4 - $60
5 - $40
6 - $30

That doesn't work at all......because we want the genuinely bad teams to get the top pick.......setting up a system where the team finishing 4th can get the top pick in the draft really doesn't help in any meaningful way, other than allowing the rich to get richer.
Actually I am not in the camp that wants the genuinely bad teams to be force fed the top pick. I couldn't care less if they were put in a lottery instead. This is from a bottom dweller in baseball and having Jonas' first round pick. I'm totally fine with going with a lottery.

Well luckily you're in the minority. There's a reason that sports leagues give the worst teams the top picks and waiver priority.

Well luckily you're in the minority. There's a reason that sports leagues give the worst teams the top picks and waiver priority.

or maybe they can just give the worst team the best *chance* at the top picks. I'm not saying hand it over to the top teams either.

IMO a little parity on draft picks is a way better compromise than allowing people to tank.

or maybe they can just give the worst team the best *chance* at the top picks. I'm not saying hand it over to the top teams either.
Well then what's the problem? That's what we do.

Also - how do you know I'm in the minority? Which bottom dwellers agree with you that you are trying to protect?
Huh? What are you even talking about?

IMO a little parity on draft picks is a way better compromise than allowing people to tank.
Well the whole thread is dedicated to a solution that doesn't allow tanking... which is better than allowing people to tank.

we can give more lottery balls to the lower place teams - so say 15 to the worst team and 1 to the best team out of the playoffs. Doesn't guarantee draft picks like we do today with standing rankings.

I get that you disagree. "but that's like, your opinion, man"

Back