• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Saku Koivu

Leaving aside the fact that Lemieux wasn't even on the 93 team (I'm not sure. Has anyone else pointed this out yet?) let's at least get one thing straight: Patrice Brisebois was not better than him. Brisebois wasn't better than anyone, ever. I'd have rather watched Christian Laflamme play the blue line for the Habs than suffer with Brisebois. Hell, I'd have rather watched CTV news anchor Lisa Laflamme play for the Habs rather than him. Brisebois is the $hit that $hit scrapes off its own shoes. He never should have been allowed near an NHL rink.

You're totally right... not sure why I added Breezeby.

And thank you for pointing out that Lemieux wasn't on the 93 team. You'd think someone would have mentioned it by now.

You're totally right... not sure why I added Breezeby.

And thank you for pointing out that Lemieux wasn't on the 93 team. You'd think someone would have mentioned it by now.

hqdefault.jpg

Claude Lemieux had as many bad playoff years as good ones (years where he scored under his regular season PPG)...

Brisebois was a #3/4 defenceman forced to be a #1 by a team that was too cheap to get a real top pair in the late 90s....

He really wasn't as bad as fans make him out to be, and would have been fine in a lesser role.

Claude Lemieux had as many bad playoff years as good ones (years where he scored under his regular season PPG)...

Not quite, in his years with the Habs, Devils and Avs (I'm excluded his older years on purpose), he had 9 good years, 4 bad ones and 2 average ones.

So you excluded the years where he had less ppg in the playoffs than the regular season... why?

Im not expecting a 36 year old to produce like a 25 year old... but if he truly is a "playoff god" like so many claim... what happened at that age that caused him to score more in the regular season than playoffs (and by wide margins in phoenix and dallas where he was a 40 pt guy and 20 pt guy those two years and 0 pts and 1 pt in playoffs).

He should still be able to elevate jn the playoffs at least to regular season level he achievs at the same age.

But he didnt.

Why? As bill simmons would say... there is no such thing as clutch... just random luck of a good player getting hot at the right time.
Overall his playoff ppg is barely better than the regular season. Not much difference at all.

So you excluded the years where he had less ppg in the playoffs than the regular season... why?

Im not expecting a 36 year old to produce like a 25 year old... but if he truly is a "playoff god" like so many claim... what happened at that age that caused him to score more in the regular season than playoffs (and by wide margins in phoenix and dallas where he was a 40 pt guy and 20 pt guy those two years and 0 pts and 1 pt in playoffs).

He should still be able to elevate jn the playoffs at least to regular season level he achievs at the same age.

But he didnt.

Why? As bill simmons would say... there is no such thing as clutch... just random luck of a good player getting hot at the right time.
Overall his playoff ppg is barely better than the regular season. Not much difference at all.

Literally exactly what I've been saying.

"Clutch" is a media invented fairytale.

But he didnt.

Yeah, I weight his prime years higher than his later years. It fits my rationale. Just like including his 38 years old seasons fits yours.

I don't know if he was clutch or not but what I know is that he was definitely a playoff performer. Like I said before, given that scoring is generally way down in the playoffs than in the regular season, anyone who scores at a higher PPG in the playoffs than he does in the regular season, especially over the course of a career, is a playoff performer.

Yeah, I weight his prime years higher than his later years. It fits my rationale. Just like including his 38 years old seasons fits yours.

I don't know if he was clutch or not but what I know is that he was definitely a playoff performer. Like I said before, given that scoring is generally way down in the playoffs than in the regular season, anyone who scores at a higher PPG in the playoffs than he does in the regular season, especially over the course of a career, is a playoff performer.

I understand the rationale of not expecting a 35-38 year old to be as good as they were when they were younger, but if he was scoring at a certain pace in the regular season at that age, should he as a playoff performer be able to step it up in the playoffs?

Last edited:
I understand the rationale of not expecting a 35-38 year old to be as good as they were when they were younger, but if he was scoring at a certain pace in the regular season at that age, should he as a playoff performer be able to step it up in the playoffs?

That depends. If could give you the year with Phoenix when he had 41 points during the season and 0 during 5 playoffs games, even though it was a very small sample of game and the whole team didn't score that year.

But should we really count the season with Dallas where he had 20 points in the season on a 4th line and 1 points in 7 games in the playoffs on a 4th line? I kinda prefer looking at the years that he was being a top 6 players and a major contributor to the team instead of merely a support player.

Back