• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leiweke to step down Jun 30 2015

Pick someone who wouldn't keep Carlyle, for starters. Pick someone who's actually got some experience in the job he's being hired to do, for starters.

Ownership picked Leiweke, who had plenty of experience. He chose Shanahan.

Carlyle has nothing to do with ownership deciding they don't need to bother to win.

This is not good news.

Say what you want about TL's style but he was instrumental in landing one of the best execs in the league to run the Raptors and appears to have landed a well known hockey guy that is in the process of transforming the way that the Leafs do business and at the moment, it all appears to be going in the right direction. I'm not as well versed on what he did with TFC, but they're not a laughing stock anymore, lured away major european based players to come to MLS and have put a team capable of winning games on the pitch for the first time in it's existence, along with bringing about plans to turn the stadium into a legitimate major venue for footy.

Dude has had a magic touch overall since he got to town imo.

**** Bell and ****, the ****ing Rogers (to be read in the **** Casper Gomez, and **** the ****ing Diaz Brothers voice). As bad as "MLSE" was over the years, this level of corporate incestuous bullshit is bad for the franchise.

His mistakes were giving nonis an unnecessary extension and the parade planning/take down the pictures remarks.

I think overall it's been positive and I doubt appointing a George Cope approved corporate toady in Leiweke's stead will improve the Leafs fortunes any. This guy was infinitely more qualified than Richard Peddie to run the sports end from on high.

It really depends on what the story is. The press release says he's leaving the sports management industry to be an entrepreneur so we'll see.

What we do know is they spent a shit load of money to bring in one of the top sports execs in North America to set the foundation for all of the franchises. The Leafs and Raps seem to be in pretty good hands now. It was a win.

They just need to stay hands off.

They sign every cheque asked of them. Analytics department, Burke's lineup of assistant GMs being paid like your average GMs, that new Rapid Shot machine, great training facilities, not opposed to burying bad contracts, a large scouting staff (it was at 20 a few years back, league average was 13).

They could easily cut a lot of that shit if they didn't want to win. Winning would bring in a lot of extra dough though. They know that.

His mistakes were giving nonis an unnecessary extension and the parade planning/take down the pictures remarks.

I think overall it's been positive and I doubt appointing a George Cope approved corporate toady in Leiweke's stead will improve the Leafs fortunes any. This guy was infinitely more qualified than Richard Peddie to run the sports end from on high.
I wouldn't pin the Nonis extension (Nonis extension??? Or do you mean Carlyle?) on him though ... those are Shanny's decision.

From the perspective of the product on the ice, departure of Leiweke is not gonna have as big an impact as a Shanny, Nonis, or Carlyle would have. The job of Leiweke is to set the overall direction and hire the right President / GM (which is Shanny) .... jury's still out on Shanny, but he's sure looking a lot better now after the summer than before.

I don't think the team will feel the departure of Leiweke unless they hire a moron (like Peddie) to replace him.

I wouldn't pin the Nonis extension (Nonis extension??? Or do you mean Carlyle?) on him though ... those are Shanny's decision.

From the perspective of the product on the ice, departure of Leiweke is not gonna have as big an impact as a Shanny, Nonis, or Carlyle would have. The job of Leiweke is to set the overall direction and hire the right President / GM (which is Shanny) .... jury's still out on Shanny, but he's sure looking a lot better now after the summer than before.

I don't think the team will feel the departure of Leiweke unless they hire a moron (like Peddie) to replace him.

They gave Nonis a 5 year extension last July. Shanny wasn't here.

They sign every cheque asked of them. Analytics department, Burke's lineup of assistant GMs being paid like your average GMs, that new Rapid Shot machine, great training facilities, not opposed to burying bad contracts, a large scouting staff (it was at 20 a few years back, league average was 13).

They could easily cut a lot of that shit if they didn't want to win. Winning would bring in a lot of extra dough though. They know that.
Yep. Being incompetant, and not being willing to win are two very different things.

Eugene Melnyk, for example, is not interested in winning. When Bill Wirtz owned the Chicago Blackhawks, he was not interested in winning. Both demonstrate(d) their unwillingness to win by spending as little money on the operation of their hockey teams as they possible could.

The last time Leaf ownership wasn't willing to spend what was necessary to win was back in the summer of 1996, when Wayne Gretzky wanted to be a Leaf and Steve Stavro wasn't interested in paying him. Since Tanenbaum/TPF, and now Tanenbaum/Rogers/Bell took over the team from the cash-strapped Stavro, they were near the top of the league in spending almost every year prior to the salary cap, and since the salary cap, they've spent pretty much right up to the cap every year.

They were a top 5 spending team only once before the salary cap. It was during the Quinn era.

I looked it up somewhere once a few years back.

I think where you miss a guy like TL, if you don't hire another rock star to replace him, is when you go executive/big fish hunting. Does Masai leave Denver if TL doesn't court him? Does Defoe leave the EPL for....Canada, if TL isn't balls deep into the process? Shanny probably comes to Toronto anyway, because something something Mimico, but the other big name guys joining the organization? I doubt. That's TL's impact, his ability to identify high end people and bring them to him.

I think where you miss a guy like TL, if you don't hire another rock star to replace him, is when you go executive/big fish hunting. Does Masai leave Denver if TL doesn't court him? Does Defoe leave the EPL for....Canada, if TL isn't balls deep into the process? Shanny probably comes to Toronto anyway, because something something Mimico, but the other big name guys joining the organization? I doubt. That's TL's impact, his ability to identify high end people and bring them to him.

Yeah but that job is done. And unless he didn't do a good job they should be set in that area. He built those foundations.

No but he put the people in place to do the job. That was his task as far as the teams are concerned. That was accomplished.

Personally I don't really care about the winter classic, all star game, 100th anniversary and next condo development stuff.

No but he put the people in place to do the job. That was his task as far as the teams are concerned. That was accomplished.

Personally I don't really care about the winter classic, all star game, 100th anniversary and next condo development stuff.

He also brought in Defoe and Bradley, and is the type of guy who would move heaven and earth to try to land...say...Kevin Durant for the Raps, Stamkos for the Leafs, etc.

It's not just about bringing in execs, he's an outstanding salesmen when it comes to attracting talent of all sorts to the organization.

Yeah, but he brought in the guys who will be responsible for that. So unless he did a bad job it shouldn't matter. The teams should be left in good hands.

Yeah, but he brought in the guys who will be responsible for that. So unless he did a bad job it shouldn't matter. The teams should be left in good hands.

Nobody he brought in, and few people in the north american sporting world, have the connections and cache that he has.

It's a loss to the organization, period, unless a similar rock star type executive is brought in.

Back