• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

NHL Expansion

Why give that ****ing no good separatist Paladeau a team? I hope the networks never show the Quebec team. Ignore them.

If he runs them like a ran his election, they're in big trouble.
Meh, Peladeau's irrelevant. The idiot managed to jump on to the seperatist bandwagon just as the whole movement is in the process of fading into obscurity. The insane zealot that's running the BQ will give the party it's coup de grâce in the next federal election, and I'm sure whatever mental midget the PQ picks to replace Marois will do the same for them. The Quebec independance movement (as any kind of serious political force) will die out with Quebec's baby boomers.

The bottom line for me is that it'd be fun to have another Quebec team to hate and likewise it'd be interesting to see the Habs and Nordiques rekindle their rivalry. Quebec City is also the 7th largest metro area in Canada, and every other city in the top-8 now has an NHL team. Just get it done.

Meh, Peladeau's irrelevant. The idiot managed to jump on to the seperatist bandwagon just as the whole movement is in the process of fading into obscurity. The insane zealot that's running the BQ will give the party it's coup de grâce in the next federal election, and I'm sure whatever mental midget the PQ picks to replace Marois will do the same for them. The Quebec independance movement (as any kind of serious political force) will die out with Quebec's baby boomers.

The bottom line for me is that it'd be fun to have another Quebec team to hate and likewise it'd be interesting to see the Habs and Nordiques rekindle their rivalry. Quebec City is also the 7th largest metro area in Canada, and every other city in the top-8 now has an NHL team. Just get it done.

On the one hand, we have not won anything since the scum from Quebec left so it could light a fire under our ass and get us our 25th cup. On the other hand, why should we have to split our market up again? We already have to share with Ottawa for TV etc, then we would have to split it again. Maybe if Ottawa and Toronto had to split tv markets and we had to split with Quebec fine, but I don't see it as fair we have to split three ways without compensation.

On the one hand, we have not won anything since the scum from Quebec left so it could light a fire under our ass and get us our 25th cup. On the other hand, why should we have to split our market up again? We already have to share with Ottawa for TV etc, then we would have to split it again. Maybe if Ottawa and Toronto had to split tv markets and we had to split with Quebec fine, but I don't see it as fair we have to split three ways without compensation.
What, are you a shareholder in the Habs? Why would you care about TV market shares?

What, are you a shareholder in the Habs? Why would you care about TV market shares?

Are you in favour of another team in Toronto, if not, why not if you are not a shareholder in the Leafs?

We already have one team horning in our region, we shouldn't have to have another without compensation.

Are you in favour of another team in Toronto, if not, why not if you are not a shareholder in the Leafs?

We already have one team horning in our region, we shouldn't have to have another without compensation.
I don't give a crap about TV rights or MLSE's profit margins though. That doesn't even enter into my thoughts on the matter at all.

I just don't want to have to deal with all of the shitty, bandwagon-jumping casual hockey fans in Toronto that would gravitate towards the new team, or have to listen to all the morons that would inevitably tell me that I should be cheering for both teams, since they're both from Toronto (which would be a more concentrated and constant version of the "you should cheer for the Canadian teams" mentality that takes hold in the playoffs).

In all seriousness though, Mississauga would clearly be the best choice for a "Toronto Lite" 2nd franchise location. Larger than Winnipeg, Quebec City, and Hamilton, easy highway access, soon to have properly integrated regional transit with Toronto, lots of real estate options for an arena.

Shit, put it in between Sauga and Brampton, and you'd have a local market larger than Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, & Ottawa....as well as San Jose, Nashville, Columbus, Detroit and a bunch of other US market.

Last edited:
In all seriousness though, Mississauga would clearly be the best choice for a "Toronto Lite" 2nd franchise location. Larger than Winnipeg, Quebec City, and Hamilton, easy highway access, soon to have properly integrated regional transit with Toronto, lots of real estate options for an arena.

Shit, put it in between Sauga and Brampton, and you'd have a local market larger than Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, & Ottawa....as well as San Jose, Nashville, Columbus, Detroit and a bunch of other US market.

... and then there'd be two teams in SW Ontario carrying the financial load of the entire league.

I think the league has about 6 too many teams as it is...but if there was ever a business/team that is absolutely crying out for competition in its marketplace, it's the Maple Leafs.

I don't really get when people suggest that having a 2nd team in Toronto will somehow make the Leafs better.

I don't really get when people suggest that having a 2nd team in Toronto will somehow make the Leafs better.

The Habs were pretty good when they had the Nordiques competing for their fan base. 2 Cups in 15 years. None since then.

I am not counting 79 as the Habs were at the tail end of their dynasty.

I know it's causation more than correlation, but these types of neighbourhood rivalries can be quite exciting.

The Habs were pretty good when they had the Nordiques competing for their fan base. 2 Cups in 15 years. None since then.

I am not counting 79 as the Habs were at the tail end of their dynasty.

I know it's causation more than correlation, but these types of neighbourhood rivalries can be quite exciting.

Weren't they REALLY good the 15 years before the Nordiques as well? Like 9 or 10 cups?

I don't see the argument for competition not bringing the best (or worst) out of an organization. There's a difference between "wanting" to, and being forced to compete.

The theory is a little success for the other team could translate into a massive shift in fanbase as Leaf fans finally have a way to show their displeasure.

So, money.

I don't think lack of competition can be blamed for the Leafs lack of success and I don't buy that having competition in the market will necessarily result in icing a better hockey team, that's all. I don't know that they'll try any harder than they are now. It'd be kinda funny if we got a 2nd Toronto team in 2016 and that was the year a Shanny-run team finally turned it around though. Maybe "they were forced to compete" will be the narrative.

Back