• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Post-Brazil World Cup Friendlies

Cali Ed

Anyone watching the U.S. match with the Czech Republic? Have to say I've been impressed that the U.S. has weathered the Czech storms, particularly in the second half. I am happier and happier each time that I watch Mix Diskerud play. Nice play to dispossess the Czech defender and set up the U.S. goal. Jozy looked comfortable in the middle, and enjoying getting a chance to watch young Cottager Emerson Hyndman play.

I saw about 5 minutes of the first half and had to go to a meeting just before Bedoya's goal. Got out of the meeting and watched the last 35 minutes. They were scrambling their butts off back there. Joe Gyau looked pretty good to me too. I think we're getting a preview of what the team will look like as they try to qualify for the 2016 Olympics, which is basically the U-23 National Team.

Joe Gyau looked pretty good to me too.

Joe, I thought, had an outstanding game, as did the goal-scoring hero Alejandro Bedoya. In fact, despite the struggles in the second half, I thought the young defenders acquitted themselves pretty well as a unit. And of course, Nick Rimando was vintage Nick Rimando. A couple of those "kick saves" would have made NHL goalies proud. :)

Today's other friendlies
Wed 3 Sep 2014 - International Friendlies
Germany 2 - 4 Argentina
R. of Ireland 2 - 0 Oman
England 1 - 0 Norway
Russia 4 - 0 Azerbaijan
Lithuania 1 - 1 United Arab Emirates
Ukraine 1 - 0 Moldova
Latvia 2 - 0 Armenia
Denmark 1 - 2 Turkey

Saw none of these, though I've recorded the England match to watch later. Understand they had a meager turnout for the match. Ugh.

As for Argentina, I can imagine how MU fans were salivating after di Maria contributed to three of the four Argentine goals, and scored the fourth.

Last edited:
I was happy to see that the US could pull off a 4-3-3 without any of their proven defensive midfielders. I really would have thought that might end in a train wreck. Apparently Diskerud and Bedoya were both very, very good yesterday.

Back