• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Volleyball

Habs-25

Banned
I wonder if there is anyone here into volleyball , i played this sport in college and loved it . is my 3th favorite sport after hockey and soccer .

right now there is world championship in holland , canada is there too but is not a powerful team .
there are 4 groups of 6 and 4 teams from each group advance to next round

power of this sport as we talk are : USA( world league champio), Brazil( Olympic champion), Russia( olympic silver), Italy ( world and Olympic medalist for many years) and then you have teams like Iran( who finished 4th in world league) , Poland, Bulgaria, Serbia in next level and France and Belgium coming up as surprise and giving hard time to some contenders

here is link to world volleyball championship in poland

http://poland2014.fivb.org/en

Re: OT ; Volleyball

One thing I cannot figure out about the gym variety is that little person in the different colour jersey who just runs around the court. Who is that person?

Yes , he is libero .is probably toughest job. he is the one who have to be best receiver. usually they are shortest player in team ( they don't need to be tall) . as example Iran libero he is only 5'7 ,shortest among all and is probably top 3 in world .

Farhad Zarif Iran's libero( 5 7) vs Dmitriy Muserskiy russian blocker's(7'2)

Attachments

• mozareski_va_farhad_zarif_www_nices_ir.jpg
    mozareski_va_farhad_zarif_www_nices_ir.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 7
I made the senior varsity volleyball team in high school about a hundred years ago and even then I was mostly a bench-warmer. But it got me out of some boring afternoon classes on occasion when we travelled to play other schools. I don't think I've played the game even once since then.

I also love volleyball and still coach it for the collegiate level. Very much enjoy the game! The libero is short also because you need someone low to the ground and that can move very fast, which obviously taller players can't do as well!

I often go to seminars and coaching clinics as well as speak with the best Canadian volleyball coach Glenn Hoag! He is a genius and a very nice person!

There can be a long debate as to why Canada has more difficulty compared to other countries. It is similar, in a sense, as soccer, whereby the highest level in Canada is the university level which means you have played at the highest level available in Canada by approx. age 25, unless of course you make the national teams, which very few do. However you will note that most of the best players peak at around the 30 year old mark as you are usually still in good physical shape but your mental part of the game and your technique all reach the same peak bringing your whole game together! Karch Kiraly is a great example, his best volleyball was played in his 30s.

There are however many now go to other countries with professional leagues, especially in Europe as it is very popular there. Anyways it is too much to type as to the reasons why but would be a great topic for discussion. The national teams have shown vast improvement in the last few years and after speaking with Hoag it is because the whole philosophy behind our training here in Canada has been approached differently.

Fantastic sport and very difficult technically!

I also love volleyball and still coach it for the collegiate level. Very much enjoy the game! The libero is short also because you need someone low to the ground and that can move very fast, which obviously taller players can't do as well!

I often go to seminars and coaching clinics as well as speak with the best Canadian volleyball coach Glenn Hoag! He is a genius and a very nice person!

There can be a long debate as to why Canada has more difficulty compared to other countries. It is similar, in a sense, as soccer, whereby the highest level in Canada is the university level which means you have played at the highest level available in Canada by approx. age 25, unless of course you make the national teams, which very few do. However you will note that most of the best players peak at around the 30 year old mark as you are usually still in good physical shape but your mental part of the game and your technique all reach the same peak bringing your whole game together! Karch Kiraly is a great example, his best volleyball was played in his 30s.

There are however many now go to other countries with professional leagues, especially in Europe as it is very popular there. Anyways it is too much to type as to the reasons why but would be a great topic for discussion. The national teams have shown vast improvement in the last few years and after speaking with Hoag it is because the whole philosophy behind our training here in Canada has been approached differently.

Fantastic sport and very difficult technically!

I agree with you about Canadian players . unfortunately just like soccer there is not much interest and investment in this country . like any other sport if you want have success you need to invest and develop players from very young age with right academy ,coaches , facilities . if you have noticed teams like Italy, Brazil, Russia and USA with long story in this sport have amazing youth and development system . their U16,18,20 usually do very well in tournament and that is some how prepare the next generation ,
There are some other countries like Iran , Bulgaria , Serbia, Franceà try to copy from powerhouse teams . as example Iran back to 25 years a go was not even top 5 team in Asia . the sport was really suffering but since 2000 they started to invest and of course they had good base of talents. their Under 16 and 18 did well in Asia and world championship. they hired some right coaches for their youth level and later on Julio Vlasco played a main role to mature the team . when Iran two years a go won their match vs Italy everyone considered this as an accident maybe but by beating later on some other teams like Poland, Serbia and then Brazil and this year USA and Italy and Brazil again every one notice how you can benefit from right system in place and willing and support for having successful program .

Very true and great observation! It is so important to have the right development as it is a sport that can't be started as early as most sports and demands a ton of patience due to the extreme technical aspects of the game. Of course the women's game and the men's game differ greatly but still technical. This is why they have made so many rule changes, such as ball touching the net on serve, kicking the ball, touching net in certain situations, etc.
Personally I feel this has taken away from the game more than helped but those that have made such changes believe it will attract more people to play.

Canada battled hard but failed to make it to 3rd round and finished 4th in their second round group. Poland, France and Iran + Brazil, Russia and Germany made it to top 6.
Some Volleyball giants like Italy, USA were eliminated .

Back