• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the job is Lindholm's to lose for the time being. Trial by fire? Maybe, but who do you give up in a trade? Nobody wants Ward..and his salary is still an albatross.

Maybe, but who do you give up in a trade? Nobody wants Ward..and his salary is still an albatross.

Marty Brodeur, Tim Thomas and Ilya Bryzgalov cannot even find a job and a contract right now...Jacob Markstrom was just placed on waivers by the Canucks...I would take any of those guys before I even started thinking about making a trade call for Cam Ward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has semin or staal the elder played yet? Are they skating at 100% in practice?

Both have played in the team scrimmages to date, but not in a preseason game.

Those that have gone to those practices would have to give you the 100% read...if anyone is at that level in those sessions.

I do recommend this. He's a known quantity. The pens would like to get rid of him.

This is flat out false. The Pens have no desire to trade him at this current time. He was just resigned for a reasonable 2 year deal ($3.3 per) and they added a little more depth this year to field a decent third line as he has been skating mostly with Downie and Spaling. I would expect Brandon to put up his best numbers this year and he has had a strong preseason to indicate a good year as well. No chance he ends up back in Carolina right now.

I think the Canes should just roll with who they have regarding the Staal injury. They clearly have no one who can replace him, but they also aren't going to acquire anyone who can without giving up some valuable assets that screw them long term. Teams should only scramble to replace a player when they are in a Stanley Cup type of window. The Canes are far from that with most analysts placing them toward the bottom of the Eastern Conference (and that was with a healthy Jordan).

The Canes best bet is to hope someone develops and fills the role (yeah, right!) and just play out this year to get the younger guys more experience. With the new weighted draft lottery odds, they just need to finish near the bottom to have a decent shot at the two studs available. If the Canes continue the downward trend from past couple of years I think they also admit to rebuild mode either at trade deadline this year or off-season and Eric Staal is finally traded. That is my hope for this year.....a solid rebuild.

This is flat out false. The Pens have no desire to trade him at this current time. He was just resigned for a reasonable 2 year deal ($3.3 per) and they added a little more depth this year to field a decent third line as he has been skating mostly with Downie and Spaling. I would expect Brandon to put up his best numbers this year and he has had a strong preseason to indicate a good year as well. No chance he ends up back in Carolina right now.

I read earlier this year and a little lately that Goc could replace Sutter as the third line center.

There is absolutely no one on this planet that would take Wardo right now, so our only hope is play him and see if he can come close to playing competitively, so that a future trade is possible. Otherwise, we'll let him ride the bench or see if we buy him out at some point. I don't even know if a buy out is possible, but it's time to take our medicine and move on.

There is absolutely no one on this planet that would take Wardo right now, so our only hope is play him and see if he can come close to playing competitively, so that a future trade is possible. Otherwise, we'll let him ride the bench or see if we buy him out at some point. I don't even know if a buy out is possible, but it's time to take our medicine and move on.

Correct, so if he starts playing well, gets in the grove, trade khabby and keep Mac as the backup.
And if he doesn't paly well, trade khabby, keep Mac as the backup and trade khabby.
The canes can't lose in either case. Case 1, they play well and get into the playoffs.
Case 2 they get into the McDavid sweepstakes. They can't lose either way.
So, Ronnie, trade khabby.

Correct, so if he starts playing well, gets in the grove, trade khabby and keep Mac as the backup.
And if he doesn't paly well, trade khabby, keep Mac as the backup and trade khabby.
The canes can't lose in either case. Case 1, they play well and get into the playoffs.

If only it was that simple with the two options. You forgot the most likely scenario 3. The team plays 'just' well enough to make everyone think there is playoff chance near the trade deadline. Then they finish comfortably out of the playoffs, yet not crappy enough to get a top pick.

Mediocre play. Rinse. Repeat. Welcome to your Carolina Hurricanes.

If only it was that simple with the two options. You forgot the most likely scenario 3. The team plays 'just' well enough to make everyone think there is playoff chance near the trade deadline. Then they finish comfortably out of the playoffs, yet not crappy enough to get a top pick.

Mediocre play. Rinse. Repeat. Welcome to your Carolina Hurricanes.

Think positive or negative. We can't afford neutral thinking.
With cward in net it could be pretty negative. Don't even think of him hitting a hot streak.
Do not send out positive vibes.

Anyone else at that scrimmage last night? It is just a scrimmage, but I'm hoping to see a lot more of Brock McGinn as he matures. The kid seems like he is everywhere out there.

I had the jumbotron stream thrown up on my home flat screen (thanks for providing that feed, Canes!).

Know what you mean about Brock. I learned his jersey number last night (21) because I kept asking "who is that guy?!?" so many times as something he was doing good out there would catch my eye.

Last edited:
So what's the verdict from the old faithful for this year? You guys making the playoffs?

If there was a year to tank this is definitely it though. McDavid, Eichel and Hanifin all look like elite talent.

I'm so glad you don't work in the front office!

So, all y'all don't like my idea.
Then we'll change it.
Trade cward to Edmonton for Taylor Hall straight up.
Trade Staal the elder to the pens for Malkin.
That should do it it.

...spots LaRose's hand waving from the back of the room...
You called it-- LaRose gets a PTO!

RF's first opportunity to show his GM mettle and we get the chance to see LaRose back as a Hurricane! The more things change, the more they stay the same...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back