• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Training Camp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
All Canes property (signed or unsigned draft picks) except for Kyle Hagel, who has an AHL contract with Charlotte. I had to do a double check, no Chad LaRose? I'm assuming Hagel is there so new acquisition Ben Holmstrom has someone to fight during camp.

Couple of thoughts:

1. That's a BUNCH of guys to bring to camp. I'm a little surprised that they're bringing in pretty much everybody who's a proper prospect out of the prospects tournament, but I guess they want to give the new staff a chance to evaluate these guys up close. Still, there's a lot of work to be done getting a new system in place and getting Peters firmly stuck in the big chair.

2. LaRose ... meh. I've heard that they were never all that set on bringing him to the big camp anyway, so even a little bit of a physical knock is going to mean he goes straight to Charlotte. No problems, as I honestly hope we don't need anybody up here just for "hustle" reasons this time around.

3. I really, really wish they didn't have the distraction of an exhibition game coming just a couple of days into camp. As I mentioned above, there's a TON of work to do in camp this year and I really see early Ex-games doing more harm than good.

At least they have a practice scheduled for those who are not going to play in the game on the 21st. I'm with you though JB, a game just 3 days into camp? With a new coach who is going to be preaching a new message and system? Too early.

I'd want that first game to be the prospects, and not many if any of the regulars. But they rarely do this, and end up playing the guys who are all but guaranteed a spot. I'd rather see the prospects play.

I'd want that first game to be the prospects, and not many if any of the regulars. But they rarely do this, and end up playing the guys who are all but guaranteed a spot. I'd rather see the prospects play.

Me too, +1.

Will tell how much control Peters has of his camp. I'd think he'd wait and make sure the vets are in playing shape before someone, oh I don't know, pulls a groin or something.

Only two home exhibition games.

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I'm not happy with the practice schedule.
45 minute practice, followed by a 15 minute pp/PK then a 30 minute scrimmage just isn't enough.
Two days of this the a game.
I'd ratter see 90 minutes of practice in the morning and 60 minutes of power skating in the afternoon/evening.
This is training camp. A new style and system to be taught and much needed skating power and stamina to be earned.

The CBA mandates that teams dress at least 8 'veterans' for all exhibition games.

What is a 'veteran' for purposes of this rule? I just knew you would ask :smilewinkgrin:

Pulled from the NHLPA.com version of the CBA found here: http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/PDF/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

15.4(c) of the current CBA:

(c) A Club shall be permitted to dress a minimum of eight (8) veterans for any
Exhibition Game. For purposes of this Section 15.4(c), a veteran shall constitute either: (1) a
forward or defenseman who played in thirty (30) NHL Games during the previous season, (2) a
goaltender who either dressed in fifty (50) or more NHL Games or played in thirty (30) or more
NHL Games in the previous season, (3) a first round draft choice from the most recent year's
Entry Draft, or (4) any Player who has played one-hundred (100) or more career NHL Games.
The matter of Player participation in Exhibition Games shall be referred to the NHL/NHLPA
Competition Committee for its consideration and recommendations, if any, in accordance with
Article 22.

That still leaves plenty of room to suit up your prospects. But the Canes have never been very interested in doing so. It seems at least in years past, the contracts dictate the roster.

practice schedule was based on advice from Alan Iverson

More like bozo the clown.
I hope the canes prove me wrong and explode out and continue exploding through all three periods.
Just looked at the group a and b. they made no sense either unless coach Peters is making a complete shuffle of the lines.

Last edited:
Just looked at the group a and b. they made no sense either unless coach Peters is making a complete shuffle of the lines.

I'm encouraged as those groups reflect the thinking outlined here.

Skinner / E.Staal / Lindholm (offense first)
Tlusty / J.Staal / Semin (true two-way line)
Gerbe / Nash / Boychuk (secondary scoring)
Malone / McClement / Dwyer (true fourth line)

Last edited:

I agree with 3 of the 4 lines, but the third line both scares me and makes me laugh. I don't think Gerbe, Nash and Boychuk's names get thrown around much in the NHL with the word "scoring" around them.

That third line continues to haunt us.

But, hey, maybe Rask and McGinn are ready to bump a couple of those weaker third liners out of their way before the season is over.

It could happen.

It will be interesting to see how secure Nash's spot is. I wouldn't mind seeing Rask or someone else shake Nash out of the lineup in camp. With a 2 way deal and a new set of eyes evaluating things I view Nash's spot as open until he proves otherwise.

It will be interesting to see how secure Nash's spot is. I wouldn't mind seeing Rask or someone else shake Nash out of the lineup in camp. With a 2 way deal and a new set of eyes evaluating things I view Nash's spot as open until he proves otherwise.

Good points. I think where Nash is positioned at the start of the season will be a good early bellwether. If he ends up in Charlotte that will be a good sign for the Canes. The 3rd line NHL center.....not so much.

Semin dosen't immediately jump out as a "real" 2-way player. Yes, he can do it if motivated, but ...

And Boychuk out of position on RW is not good. The guy by all indications in on his last shot to make it. Why hamstring the guy by playing on his off-wing.

Same old problem, not enough righty's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back