• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2014-15 Miscellaneous League News and Discussions

Actually I think the NHL views it as a positive that players employed in the Department of Player Safety were not necessarily choir boys during their NHL careers. To me that makes the whole department MORE credible as the ex-players there have an understanding of the game and the difference between a lightning fast change in direction that caused a good hockey hit to go bad and a reckless play that should be punished. From Shanahan, to Quintal (who wasn't anyone's idea of Lady Byng candidate himself) to possibly Pronger, I think these guys are all perfectly qualified for the roles they are being asked to play.

I will admit that the idea of a player who is still being paid on an NHL player contract being also employed by the NHL is not the best circumstance, but I have no problem with Pronger's credibility and experience being used in the Player Safety department. If you want to argue that Pronger should be forced to retire as part of this so his financial ties to Philly are cut, I can understand that point of view. Pronger is only getting paid $4 million by the Flyers for one more season, then he gets $575k each for the final 2 years of his contract (if that matters to anyone).

... If you want to argue that Pronger should be forced to retire as part of this so his financial ties to Philly are cut, I can understand that point of view. Pronger is only getting paid $4 million by the Flyers for one more season, then he gets $575k each for the final 2 years of his contract (if that matters to anyone).

You are right about the salary but his Cap hit remains at close to $5M per year for the next three years. If he retires, then I think Philly can't hide the money on the LTIR so they have to absorb $5M per year against their cap which will kill their roster.....so it won't happen.

The cap issue is why I have a problem with it because Philly will kiss his ass in every possible way to make sure he doesn't "officially retire" or try to come back and play. Who knows what is going on behind the scenes there and for that reason he should not be in a position that could impact players in Philly or teams Philly is a natural rival with.

Why the NHL would potentially put itself in this conflict of interest is beyond me when there are other qualified ex-players that wouldn't generate the questions that Pronger will due to his unique financial position and potential impact on the Philly roster. Everyone is kidding themselves about ignoring potential conflicts. Lets say Pronger is involved in a decision against a Pittsburgh, Washington, or New York area team toward the end of the season. Those fans will be screaming foul if a suspension impacts playoff roster or positions at end of year. The NHL should walk away from this if they are smart.

Pronger was suspended eight times in his career and is still on Philly's payroll. Those are reasons enough for me to think he doesn't need to be in that position. Too much of the fox guarding the hen house for me...

....when there are other qualified ex-players that wouldn't generate the questions that Pronger will due to his unique financial position...

I think this might be a piece of the puzzle that we don't have details on. Pronger applied and interviewed for this position, we don't know if other ex-players have done the same. The position Pronger is being considered for was left vacent when Brian Leetch moved from this spot.

If they get to choose between Kadri or Bozak (I take Kadri), Toronto's 1st this year, and Jake Gardiner, Carolina should jump at this deal. It makes Carolina a deeper team right now with some additional upside in the future. I honestly think it is a matter of time (meaning each team continues to underperform this year) for this to happen. Salary wise it works out (with Bozak in deal), although the Canes should hold out for Kadri. If this happens around mid-season the Leafs can then just bury a player at AHL level to be compliant or dump someone in a trade to free up the $1-1.5M of cap space required. Once Staal realizes the future is bleak here he will go for it.

He'll be so closely scrutinized up there. Can he handle that pressure?

I honestly think he could put up a 90 point season again in Toronto playing with Kessell....and I would be happy for him. I don't think he has a 90 point season (or even 80 left in Carolina) and he would really benefit from the change of environment. A wake up call from the media would be good for him. It isn't going to happen in Carolina. Plus he won't have to be the leader or captain on that team as I think Phaneuf stays with the C and Kessell will share offensive load with him. He and Kessell would really be a great pair....especially with their shared beliefs in off-season training (We could send Cam as the third wheel!)

Another team I think Staal could be good for is Edmonton. That team HAS to shake up the mix of forwards as it just isn't working. The Canes could get good value in return. They are craving the established superstar and leader that Eric Staal is. Sell it hard Ronnie!

I honestly think he could put up a 90 point season again in Toronto playing with Kessell....and I would be happy for him. I don't think he has a 90 point season (or even 80 left in Carolina) and he would really benefit from the change of environment. A wake up call from the media would be good for him. It isn't going to happen in Carolina. Plus he won't have to be the leader or captain on that team as I think Phaneuf stays with the C and Kessell will share offensive load with him. He and Kessell would really be a great pair....especially with their shared beliefs in off-season training (We could send Cam as the third wheel!)

Another team I think Staal could be good for is Edmonton. That team HAS to shake up the mix of forwards as it just isn't working. The Canes could get good value in return. They are craving the established superstar and leader that Eric Staal is. Sell it hard Ronnie!

Staal would veto a trade to Edmonton faster than Chris Pronger's wife!!!

Staal is exactly what the media in Toronto has been clamoring for...a big number #1 center that finally gives the Leafs some depth down the middle. On the surface a trade makes too much sense, Eric gets to go home to Ontario, the Leafs can stomach that monster contract and a big extension, the Canes get youth and some big salary relief on the books.

I would not be shocked at all if a deal for #12 to the Leafs goes down. Just say no to Bozak though...Kadri, Gardiner and a first for Eric would be about right in a trade for the big fella. Can you imagine the Canes with two first rounders next summer and a first pick in round 2...that's almost like three first round picks!

Just saw the tsn guys talk about it. If for one reason alone I think if we trade Eric to the leafs we absolutely must squeeze maximum return. 1st rounder for sure but along with a couple of solid prospects. I am all for blowing things up. What the pundits don't understand is that the core fan base prolly is in more favor of this. I would also consider it is time to pull the plug on Skinner.

How much trade value do you think Skinner has? His trade value gets diminished with every concussion. He's one more hit away from needing Depends and a drool bucket.

I wasn't at the opener, but I was told that he wasn't even on the bench for the player intros. Light sensitivity? And he's ready to go less than a week after that?

Staal needs to go out west. He does not need to go to Toronto and become their big body to match well with Kessell. We do not need him haunting us for the rest of his career. Send him to Nashville with Laviolette, Arizona with Tippett, Vancouver or even Calgary. Go west young man...

Skinner on the other hand would thrive in Toronto and when his next concussion comes (how sad to write that), he'll get good support and guidance from his family to retire.

Back