• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2014-15 Miscellaneous League News and Discussions

Might as well get this one started too.

The NHL has said no to adding corporate sponsors to the sweaters, foregoing an estimated $120 million a year in sponsorship revenue.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=461971

It's only a matter of time before that changes. Tacky or not, it's simply too much money for this bunch of twits to leave on the table. They'll feel like the "have to have it" eventually. Watch and see.

Only a matter of time. The owners won't be able to resist!

citimarket_original_display_image.png

A simple offer sheet from another team would have ended this a long time ago. Its really a shame that there is such a stigma about RFA offer sheets. Although you wonder if his agent has been shopping around for a contract offer and no other NHL team is willing to even offer what he's asking for.

$6.5 million a year, for ONE good season? Sorry kid, take the bridge deal and after 2 more great seasons then you can come back and make Columbus regret not giving you 8 years $52 million when they had a chance.

Only a matter of time. The owners won't be able to resist!

citimarket_original_display_image.png

I know it will be tempting over the long haul to leave that money on the table for the owners but they have to resist as long as the NFL, NBA, and MLB also continue to resist. They already get enough crap about being a 4th tier league in that group....will they really fuel the fire by going this tacky route?

I find the Johansen-Blue Jackets drama pretty interesting. I just see no good coming out of this for either side the longer it plays out. I do like the fact that Davidson has announced what was offered. Can't understand how Johansen is going to come out a winner in this unless CBJ trades him and even in that scenario, CBJ still holds the cards....

I think Columbus might have to move a little bit on their 2 year bridge offer. Johansen is in a similar situation as Ryan O'Reilly was a few seasons ago. Calgary finally put and end to that with the offer sheet, which averaged $5 million over 2 seasons. That was a bit over the top, but I think it provides a decent middle ground opportunity for Johansen and Columbus. That link suggests that Columbus is offering 2 years $6 million. I think reasonable middle ground is 2 years $9 million. Again, if Johansen can then deliver 2 more years of production like he provided last year with a 2 year bridge contract, his market value would probably shoot up to much more that the $6.5 million per year he supposedly is looking for. He might be able to get something like an 8 years $64 million extension.

I expect a 2 year bridge deal for more than what Columbus claims to have offered to be the solution and I expect that get done soon despite the posturing from both sides. Its just nuts not to get that done and get him in camp.

I know it will be tempting over the long haul to leave that money on the table for the owners but they have to resist as long as the NFL, NBA, and MLB also continue to resist. They already get enough crap about being a 4th tier league in that group....will they really fuel the fire by going this tacky route?

Isn't this one of the main aspects that sets the Big Leagues apart from the Bush Leagues? Although the NHL has already started down the slippery slope by having ad signage on the boards (lighted and revolving), on the playing surface and superimposed on the glass. I bet we see it start next year with single sponsors on the back of the jerseys. Of course, we're all used to it here in NASCAR country, so go for it. :pepper

I find the Johansen-Blue Jackets drama pretty interesting. I just see no good coming out of this for either side the longer it plays out. I do like the fact that Davidson has announced what was offered. Can't understand how Johansen is going to come out a winner in this unless CBJ trades him and even in that scenario, CBJ still holds the cards....

The agent is high on glue...since when does simply being 6'4" and 230 pounds become an automatic $3 million bonus add-on to a players contract?

JD is right on the mark, let the kid sit and miss out on big money. Johansen is an idiot to pull this stunt now, the Jackets have one of the best young, up and coming teams in the NHL, and this is how you decide to lead that team as the Captain after putting a grand total of one great year as a pro???

Cue Weird Al's parody hit "Tacky."

And if you haven't seen that video do yourself a favor and search YouTube for it. It's cameo central.

Harding is suspended because his broken ankle is non hockey related. Sounds like he may have been doing something like riding a MC or something else that is prohibited in his contract.

Allan Muir on si.com has an article assessing the chances of all 30 players attending camp on a PTO. A few former Canes on the list...Westgarth, Kaberle and Komisarek. I love what he says about Kabs and Komi.

*​ Tomas Kaberle, D, Devils: Maybe he put his game back together last season with Kladno of the Czech league where he scored 24 points in 48 games. But it's more likely that Kaberle is every bit as washed up as he was when he was last seen robbing the Canadiens every time he cashed a check back in 2012-13.

* Mike Komisarek, D, Devils: Somewhere there's a beer league that's about to land a true impact player.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2014/09/18/training-camp-pto-players-chances-to-stick#

Back